What Paint are people using

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What Paint are people using

Post  GeoffKlassen on Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:38 am

I have been using GW paint for a long time but the damn stuff keeps drying out. HTeir original bottles from ten years ago are still wet but paint I just bought 3 months ago are hard as a rock. What has everyone switched to? I tried a reaper master series and the paint was hard as well.

GeoffKlassen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What Paint are people using

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:48 am

I hate reaper paint. I hate the chalkiness of it and the bottles are super shitty.

I am a HUGE fan of Vallejo Model colour. Darren only has a small amount of it in stock. They're a few singles of paint kicking around and he sells paint sets for the Flames of War game that are themed to different armies in different theaters. I STRONGLY urge you to pick up a few of their paints and try them. Then if you like you can order singles from Darren and check out the Vallejo Paint site. They sell a basic set (The flames of war quartermaster set) and I personally would pick an army set from the FoW range that looks good to you. Colours I could NEVER again be without from the paint range are...

-Brown Violet. It's the wierd green colour that American Tanks were in WWII
-Black Brown. About half way between Scorched brown and Black.
-Grey Green. I love it!
-German Grey. A super good grey colour.

Aw man.... I just realized I could list about two dozen more of my "roadies" for painting. I love VMC, it's got about as much pigment as the foundation colours, thins down super awesomely, and the colours are really nice and muted. EVERYTHING I want in a paint I get from VMC. It's da bomb.

I use a bit of P3, but mostly for shading and such in really thin coats. It dries waxy, semi gloss which I hate.
Vallejo Game colour is basically the last edition of citadel paints, but in dropper bottles.
But I really, really hate reaper master series. It just makes me puke. I still use it every now and again when I forget how shitty it is but I am quickly reminded.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:59 pm

What I like best about VMC is the longevity. Its not gonna dry out and waste 3/4 of the bottle. I still use mainly GW paints, especially the washes which are excellent, but I'm starting to get really tired of shelling out 5$ for a paint pot and only getting to use about 1/2 of it.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  epengr on Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:30 am

I used to use Ceramcoat, Apple Barrel or Folk Art Acrylic Paints from craft stores (Michaels or even Wla-mart). They can take a little fiddling with watering down to get the consistancy you need, but I was always happy with them. I hate mixing paint and between those three brands you can find almost any colour you could want, and at $1-$2 a bottle you can buy every colour for every army you could want.

By used to use, I mean back when I was into this stuff - since I'm getting back into it, I'll be using them again, I expect.

GeoffKlassen wrote:I have been using GW paint for a long time but the damn stuff keeps drying out. HTeir original bottles from ten years ago are still wet but paint I just bought 3 months ago are hard as a rock. What has everyone switched to? I tried a reaper master series and the paint was hard as well.

epengr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:11 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top