Re: Spring league reporting thread.

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Sat May 01, 2010 9:45 pm

You said you got them, but are you going to update the standings? Wink

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun May 02, 2010 12:35 pm

you bet! I'm getting to it..................

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Sun May 02, 2010 5:19 pm

Nathan A and myself had a game today. quite the game with a massive combat in the center of the table from turn 2 that ended turn 6 after i killed all his rank and file skeletons and grave guard and then he finished off my spear men unit with his blood knights. the game ended in a solid victory for myself.

Dom-8 Nathan-4

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun May 02, 2010 8:35 pm

Dom was this a wildcard challenge? score 8-4?

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Sun May 02, 2010 11:32 pm

no it was not, but it was the first time that nathan and i have played this leauge (if were still getting a point for a new player)

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat May 08, 2010 9:14 pm

I had two games today, first one was against Andre's Dwarfs. It took a couple turns for the dwarf engineers to dial in the correct range, unfortunately by that time my pegasus knights were right on top of them. Without the support from the guns I was able to slowly grind down the dwarf infantry. One particular unit of longbeards took 4 entire turns and 7 rounds of combat to finally finish off. Solid victory for me. I was fully painted and I don't think Andre was. It was the first time we've played this league.

Nathan: 9
Andre: 4

Next game was against Dominique. He fielded a really big empire army with some very intimidating large blocks of infantry and a steam tank backed up by cavalry and artillery. Luckily for me his artillery crews were not too experienced and his helstrom rocket battery exploded first turn and his cannon took a long time to finally get the range right. I was able to avoid his steamtank and take the rest of his army apart piecemeal. Massacre for me, I was fully painted and it was our first game.

Nathan: 10
Dom: 3

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun May 09, 2010 11:45 am

good reports Nathan with style Very Happy

We'll I had a blast Sat with games and drinks afterward....happy birthday again Scott!
My game against Nathan A. was quite the game. Didn't think I had a chance facing his magic heavy vampires hurling spell after spell at me (metal lore against low save warriors and knights affraid ). Looked grim until my flanking marauders took the fight into the ranks of the dead......who knew?

A final turn 6 combat involving rear charging mounted marauders with flails, flanking marauders with great weapons and frontal charging warriors dropped his grave guard/vampire lord bunker to a remaining lord with 1 wound.

great game Nathan, first time playing and wildcard challenge Very Happy solid victory Carson 9 Nathan 5

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Sun May 09, 2010 5:11 pm

Nathan A's magic and ward save on his Vampire was my undoing. I had no turn 6 turnaround. Massacre for him.
It was a ladder challenge, and the second time we've played.

8 for him
2 for me

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon May 10, 2010 1:21 pm

I played 2 games. Dom and I tied (5-5), and Andre got a solid on me (7-3). No one was completely painted.

I played against a Stank and special characters....just sayin'. Wink

*edit* The gloves are coming off, and yes Carson, I'm going to "swoop". Twisted Evil

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Mon May 10, 2010 1:31 pm

Me and don had a game as well. after deployment wade told me he was betting against me, however the first tun my hellstorm rocket battery actually manged a good hit ( not on the intended target mind!) and landed right on top of a block of blood letters, don had to make 11 wards but only managed 2, and the unit was reduced to a hero and 5 blood letters. after that i stated picking apart the out most parts of his army, while avoiding the massive Nurgle infestation coming straight at me. it was looking grim fro the daemons but that big ole block of Nurgle was his saving grace, after everything the game was a draw, and it was the first time we played, and a ladder challenge, and don was painted so ...
Don 8
Dom 6
(I think)

I was really looking forward to my game vrs Nathan actually because i know his army contains everything that mine doesn't like. but when it came to turn 2 tactics were thrown away and Nathan was easily able to run around me. i'll have to get a re-match some time and try again!

thanks for the games guys , especially don for being really patient Very Happy

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon May 10, 2010 5:30 pm

squalie wrote:I played against a Stank and special characters....just sayin'. Wink

I played against the same 2 armies Don, you are going to have to come up with a better excuse than that!

Dom, I think I actually saw the moment that you are talking about in your second turn. When you charged my peasant bowmen with your outriders I knew I had you right where I wanted you. I was a bit worried though when my combined pegasus knight & Knight Errant charge failed to cause a single wound on your Inner Circle knights though. I will for sure be up for a re-match sometime.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon May 10, 2010 5:39 pm

I'm just saying I'm going to bring a bigger gun next time. Cool I certainly don't intend to make it sound like I'm blaming anyone, or criticizing their lists. It's my own fault for not getting "creative" in league games. Wade told me it's not a comped tourny, so I should start hitting below the belt! Very Happy

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Tue May 11, 2010 12:53 am

lol! Dom's army is pretty much the most awesome army I have seen. Who the hell brings units of ~35 Spearmen? Who the hell brings a Helstorm rocket battery?
If he can make that army work, and I have seen him do it, then my hat is off to Dom for his mad skills.

And the special character you're referring to is Josef Bugman?? Damn man. He's a 155 point hero who doesn't even have a ward save or a good weapon... He makes his unit scout.

If you have to tool up to deal with (in my opinion) a soft and fluffy Empire list and one of the oddest Dwarf armies I have had the pleasure of playing against, there's something wrong dude.

In all seriousness, I think that the tech that Dom and Andre are bringing is amongst the softest lists in the league, and among the low level of the "cheese" curve for their respective books...
I think I am going to have to side with Nathan here... Next excuse please! lol!

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue May 11, 2010 9:58 am

Yah, it must have been rough trying to take on those powerhouses with your poor mixed daemon list! Laughing

I think Andre and Dom deserve some credit for taking the lists that they do and winning with them! The only reason Andre didn't beat me is because I was faster than him and I picked my battles carefully. Even being really careful I almost had it backfire on me in one combat which saw my general and knights errant flee from his longbeard rangers. Luckily I was fast enough to escape. My grail knights also got off lucky, taking a flank charge from the same longbeard rangers and not only surviving but holding due to insane courage and then survived another round. If I had lost the grail knights I would have lost the game.

I also got off lucky in both games in respect to shooting. I'm not sure why my peasant bowmen seemed such a threat to Andre but his stone thrower targetted them for every shot it took. It did finally get them but the 70 points it gained by doing that was not worth it. In the game agaist Dom it was just bad luck on his part, his helstrom rocket battery misfired and exploded first turn. If it had hit my grouped ranks it would have been a different story. And again, what is so menacing about peasant bowmen!? A whole unit of outriders pulled out of position and set up for a rear-charge just due to the presence of a 70 point unit. If you had ignored them like I thought you would the game would have gone a lot differently since I would have had to worry about my flank.

I think re-matches are in order for both of you, I know you are better than you were in your games against me (look what you did to Don)!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue May 11, 2010 11:30 am

*hides under big rock* Ok, Ok, I guess it's just the stigma of the Stank. I just don't think I have anything in my regular list that can deal with it other than to just tie it up. And until I came to Saskatoon, we have never played with special characters in 15 years of playing the game. I come back from Saskatoon proclaiming that we're not experimenting enough with Warhammer -- we need to take these special characters for a test drive.

I need to make one thing perfectly clear; I wasn't aiming anything directly @ Dom and Andre. I really look forward to playing with both of them as they really enjoy playing the game and it shows when you're playing them. As a matter of fact, they are the ones responsible for me saying we should use special characters around Moose Jaw more often. I watched Dom use Skraag and thought that looked fun! I went back and reported to HQ that we've only been playing 80% of the game.

I reread my short post and I sure didn't mean to come across as making excuses. I'm not exactly sure what I was trying to say. I don't even like playing Daemons anymore -- they're boring. Trying not to play Daemons is like being a recovering alcoholic. You guys gotta' help me! Very Happy

It seems my post came across differently than I intended -- I apologise for that.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue May 11, 2010 11:39 am

Don't worry about it Don, we're just having fun with you. I don't have anything to deal with a steam tank in my army either, I just avoided it as best as I could and presented it's guns with targets that could shrug it off. I think thats the best way to deal with it, just avoid it.

As for the daemons, don't worry about it. If you start bringing really cheesed-out daemon armies (or hitting below the belt as Wade puts it) then maybe we'll start trying to get you to switch armies but until then you're ok in my books.

Save a game for me next time you're up!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue May 11, 2010 12:02 pm

Man, I knew it was Wade's fault....

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Tue May 11, 2010 2:17 pm

nathanr wrote:

Dom, I think I actually saw the moment that you are talking about in your second turn. When you charged my peasant bowmen with your outriders I knew I had you right where I wanted you. I was a bit worried though when my combined pegasus knight & Knight Errant charge failed to cause a single wound on your Inner Circle knights though. I will for sure be up for a re-match sometime.

that was my biggest tactical blunder yes, and its too bad cause i had a good plan, i knew the bowmen were a distraction and i tried to use that to my advantage but i didn't move quite far enough (IMO anyway), and that made me flee from that charge instead of taking it. if it did work out your charge would have failed for sure because fliers cant land in trees and youwould have needed the extra charge range to get there on foot!
oh well next time Very Happy

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Wed May 12, 2010 8:49 am

The list I played is really odd but I use it for a couple reasons. The first being that it is fun to use unconventional army lists to see if you can make them work plus the whole book should always be available to use. The second was to try some different tactics, it sure threw some guys for a loop when I place my three war machines, gyrocoptor and two units and characters then I am done til they place their army. I had a third of my points in the two ranger units.

This list has some definite downfalls the first being terrain, I need something on the table to hide my units, and second I need to get fighting sooner with less war machine support.

It is fun and I enjoy taking lists that people wouldn't normally expect (like my ogre list with 160 gnoblars) The expectation isn't high to win but the challenge sure is.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed May 12, 2010 9:10 am

That is true Andre, I too often find myself stuck in a rut with my army lists. Especially wood elves, I spend all kinds of time making up a new list only to have it turn out exactly like my old list. I always mean to switch things up but my lists never actually seems to change much. Hopefully 8th edition will force some changes.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed May 12, 2010 12:54 pm

I spend all kinds of time making up a new list only to have it turn out exactly like my old list.

I'm also guilty of this. It's hard to break away from things that you know just work.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed May 12, 2010 8:48 pm

Yeah but half the fun is working on lists. I always seem to tinker with lists after a day of games, win or loose.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Wed May 12, 2010 10:45 pm

i had a game today vrs Jeremy and his dark elves, the good ole empire finally found a good use for its cannon, turn 1 it took out a bolt thrower, turn 2 it took the chariot right out from under his bsb and turn 3 it took out the chariot from under the his lord. unfortunately that was about all i did manage to do successfully. my spear men got a sweet flank charge of on some cold one knights and some shades, but the turn before they had a spell cast on them which reduced them to ws 1 and then the shaded revealed an assassin and pulled out some great weapons which was fantastic, we called it the end of tun five because the den was closing, but i would have to say it was a solid victory for sure for Jeremy . also it was the first time we played and i believe that he was fully painted.
Dom 4
Jeremy 9

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed May 12, 2010 11:30 pm

You should buy those cannon boys a drink!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Rockn J on Thu May 13, 2010 1:34 pm

that cannon was tearing me apart. Lucky for me the staemtank and hell fire rocket boys had too many beers befor the fight.

Rockn J

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:40 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top