painting tips

View previous topic View next topic Go down

painting tips

Post  Mhael on Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:06 am

Hey guys I need some help figuring out how to lighten some skin tone. I am doing up a random fig that was supposed to be a gift but I dont like the paint job and refuse to give it away as is. I will get Dom to post a pic but basically what I want is a tanned finish.

I started with dark flesh and hit most of the skin with dwarf flesh and highlights with elf flesh. The fig has come accross as 'muddy' looking and very unnatural. I think I may have to start over as the paint is also to thick (despite watering it down to at least half and half) in certain areas.

Also the leather straps are too similar to the skin tone so that nothing pops out. You can tell the difference from 18 inches but not from table top.

I am going to give the skin some very watered down elf flesh washes to see if it improves but am resigned to this piece being a practice fig. Anyway when the pic gets posted I appreciate all criticism and is anyone interested/willing to setup a night of painting? This is an area I need to focus on as I have too many colorless models that are simply waiting for my skills to improve.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: painting tips

Post  nathanr on Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:30 am

skin is the thing I find hardest to paint. I've made some improvements lately but I still have a long ways to go.

Lately I've been basecoating black, then using really watered-down bronzed flesh I add it in many thin coats. The first coat usually looks really green and sickly, I add more coats of paint to the areas I want brighter and I leave the green sickly color in the shadows. Once I'm done with the bronzed flesh it doesn't look very skin-color like but it has the definition of highlights and shadows that I want. To give it a more natural tone I put on a couple thin red washes and then hit the shadows with a bit of devlan mud. At this point I usually call it done, but it could probably still use some more highlights with elf flesh and/or even space wolves gray but make sure you water them down a lot and have almost no paint on your brush when you do it.

Other people do flesh tones a lot better than me though so definitely listen to them if they tell you differently. I used this technique on the dwarf in my Avatars of War diorama if you are interested in seeing the results.

I second the call for a painting day, I have no idea when it would work but we should set something up.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:14 pm

Try this: http://www.jenova.dk/

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:50 pm

Thats a good link, the skills described in the tutorials aren't completely over my head like some of the ones I've read on CMON.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:30 pm

I'm a super fan of Tallarn flesh from the foundation range.

I like the purpley redness of it. We could certainly do a painting day at the den. We should book a sunday and I will make sure I make it down. Gotta give me a couple a weeks.

For highlighting flesh using paints available from the den I would go with P3 menoth white, and maybe some P3 menoth white highlight.

When I shade red I prefer a very dark red over brown. For the exact reason mentioned that using brown often looks unnatural. It was a big tip I got early on, and I really like it. I think it would be like about a 2:1 red gore to chaos black type of mix.

If more people are interested in getting better I reccomend we get a few of us and either head on over to WAMP or start or own painting thing on here again. Even if you can't take good pics of a fig any pic is decent enough to get some feedback. I'm proud enough of my painting progress that I don't feel like a total ashole for saying I can help people out. Took a while to shake my "total newb" feeling, but I feel confident enough now with the amount I've learned to try and host something or other.

If someone out there knows how to burn DvD's I've got a pretty good 2 disc set about painting to a pretty high level. It walks through a pretty good process for getting some advanced results I think.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:55 am

Which DVD's are those, Scott?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:43 am

The JBT "PAinting Miniatures" one.