Gaming in Saskatoon in general.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Gaming in Saskatoon in general.

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:43 pm

I'm friends with most of the old guard 40K guys in the city and spend time on the local 40K forum. Recently they've had a HUGE influx of shitheads. Massive. Powergamers, youngsters with no clue, that sort of a crowd.

Anyway, talking to a good buddy of mine (Ryan Glover) who expressed interest in maybe getting into Warhammer. Made me kind of think about dusting off my dice. Probably the dwarf's would be easiest to get on the table. So a little bit of enthusiasm for getting back into things. I'll have to see how it lasts! I might even assemble some stuff tonight for painting tomorrow. Feel pretty good about that stuff.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Gaming in Saskatoon in general.

Post  ben the kid is back on Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:47 pm

[quote="ScottRadom"]I'm friends with most of the old guard 40K guys in the city and spend time on the local 40K forum. Recently they've had a HUGE influx of shitheads. Massive. Powergamers, youngsters with no clue, that sort of a crowd.

hey i am a lot better at communicating on the 40k forum for some reason, also if ryan wants to start fantasy i could sell him my dwarfs

Laughing

ben the kid is back

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:09 pm

Good to have you back.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:52 pm

I've started poking around to see what Ogre stuff I've got. From a painting standpoint they've really got everything I am looking for. Low model count, decent figs, might have to give it a shot.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:08 pm

I think you should definitely give the ogres a shot! Too bad about the 40K league, happily we haven't had the same kind of problems that you say they are having. Hopefully it stays that way. If people are thinking about making the switch from 40K to fantasy then that might even be an upside for us.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:48 pm

Ah... it's just personality and priority conflicts over there at the Hunters site. Nothing new to fantasy. Once upon a time back in the day we had a lsit of near 30 players for fantasy. Same sort of internal division popped up. Power gamers with unpainted armies vs. Grizzled old guys with softer lists and painted armies. At least that's the way I remember it. We tried to bring in army comp rules, scenarios and such but mostly it turned out that people who want a certain style of play WILL inflict it upon someone else. And then the league shrinks.

So it's the same old thing. A few people will voice up with the "Why is my style of play invalid? I follow the rules!" kind of arguement. A fair point, on an individual one off game. But considered vs. the impact on a community it's tough/impossible to convince people that their brand of "fun" is turning people off from a hobby that they've spent 1000's of dollars and hours being involved in. Even Robyn, the founder of the fest over there, is ready to pack it in I think.

It just get's tiresome after a while. We've got a good thing going here and if we pick up a few new people that'd be great. We're a tighter, more unified crowd in our approach now and any people wading in to throw down with net lists and unpainted figs will quickly get shown our backs in disdain. I'm fine with that.

Also I actually got singled out for being a vulgarian who brought the hobby into disrepute. Fuck that guy.

It's wierd. It took me getting pissed off at watching a good thing going bad over in 40K land to make me think about what a good thing we've got over here. I need to take advantage of that!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:49 am

Well, the other night I had 4 fellows over at my house who are generally MTG players, but were intrigued enough about Warhammer to see what it's all about. So I spent an hour or 2 explaining the game to them and showing figs, paints, etc.

Last night they all showed up with purchased army books, figs, rule books and a thousand questions on how to play the game. It looks like we can add HighElves, TombKings, Warriors of Chaos and Vampire Counts to our numbers! That's how fast it can happen and I want to encourage that enthusiasm.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:54 pm

Scott if you want to toy around with some different ogre lists I have models I would be willing to lend. It has been interesting to see how Dom has played ogres this last league and if I go back I may adopt some of his army lists.

Squalie great just what the dwarfs love to see more TK and VC (groan)

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kallidon on Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:39 pm

No worries, it's really not that bad and I think I got those guys sorted out for the most part. It'll take alot more than a few goofs to get me to pack it in, 6 years is a long time! Out of about 50 regular visitors, its only about 2-3 that are causing the problems, and mainly because they're getting hassled about their lists which are pretty strong, arguing goofy rules, that sort of stuff.

I'm hoping I have it nipped in the bud without having to boot anyone, but if it still continues after the changes I made, then I'll start to seriously consider it.

Even when I had only 8-10 guys, I had a big problem with a few of them.... so up to 30 and still a couple players, I can handle those fellas... now that Ive recruited some help that is. That being said, 30 guys is to many.. there's been guys in the past two leagues I've never met, let alone played against.

As a side note, the beastmen army I collected 5 years ago got a few new units with the new book.. hopefully I can have a few games with them before the book changes again... Smile

Kallidon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Patchfur on Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:00 pm

I have this powerful urge to start playing again. I have been stupid busy, but the desire to play with little mans is creeping up on me again. I think I will take some time out and paint some terrain, and start showing up again.

Patchfur

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:25 pm

Hey William, it would be great to have you back in the fold. Remember, one must always make time for a Hobby says Master Yoda.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Druchi on Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:53 pm

Nice Scott. Well said, and I am glad someone brought this up. I too am not that impressed with the new direction of that 40k league and part of me is stoked to read up on this edition and potentially make a transition. Hopefully myself and friend will be added to your lists Smile

Druchi

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Freezingoon on Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:50 am

Well I'm still fairly new around here and this is the first time I've seen this post. I guess I'll stand on record as saying, I am one of those shitheads who has just recently joined the gaming community in Saskatoon and I consider myself to be good friends with many of my felllow shitheads.

Well I won't say I'm not a little offended but I can see were this comes from. I just ask that people judge for themselves.

Freezingoon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:08 pm

Everyone will get a fair shake here. Also though to be fair I'll try and give a little run down about what we have sort of patterned this group and league to be all about.

-The first rule is that everything we do with Warhammer here is designed to give us all a reason to come out and play some fun and friendly games of warhammer. The emphasis is on the fun and friendly!

-Everyone who is a part of this league understands that bringing a super cool awesome power bomb army list designed with ALL the nasty toys might win you the game but it will start a precedent that will lead to the downfall of the league. If ANYONE is thinking of bringing a super duper hard list it's a courtesy to let your opponent know ahead of time. We keep score, and we play to win, but we recognize that some of the harsher lists exploiting the items and units that snuck their way past playtesting at GW keep your opponent from being able to really enjoy an evening of Warhammer.

That's pretty mch how we roll. As I type this it should also be noted that I really don't have a lot to do with the game currently. I am hoping 8th sparks my interest again. Other members here can offer their insight if they like.

This league has been around for a long while. We predate the Hunters league by a couple of years. The league was once at around 30 members, then down to around 6, then back up again. We've seen first hand what happens when a minority of players (or even one!) brings a new Win At All Costs attitude into the league. It starts off a contest to see who can bring the bigger stick to the table. Then it turns into people realizing they have better things to do than argue rules, intent vs. rules as written, or face the brunt of 18 magic dice on a Friday night. Then everyone loses.

This league only exists to make sure people are having fun. If some were to hamper that goal then we'd 1) let them know what behaviours are causing friction and allow them an opportunity to correct it, and as a last resort 2) let them know it's not going to work out.

I do not even remember the online names of the people who seemed to be causing such a ruckus over on the Hunters site. This isn't even my league so I am not involved in any decisions like that at all. This IS however my message board (TY Cam!) and we are open and honest here. If you have ANY concerns regarding how people would feel about an army list, alternative mini's, rules interpretations, ask away. You'll get decent and HONEST reactions.

I do not want this to sound in any way threatening or "icky". I just though it might be unfair to someone to expect them to just know how we do things around here. This is a good group! We welcome anyone aboard and hope they have fun. We keep score when we play, we play to win, but we all make sure we are playing to win at the table level and not bringing an army that makes the game a foregone conclusion before any dice are even rolled.

Please feel welcome here! I am glad you posted a response.

P.S. As this is my message board note that we don't have any of that pansy censorship shit. We let it all hang out here!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:30 am

Well said Scott, I enjoy a tough game as much as the next guy but there are a few armies that can be built that aren't much fun to play against. I'll play against anything once but I don't have to (and won't) agree to play a game where I know I have no chance of having a fun game. That said, I'll tell you if your list is shitty and I expect others to tell me if I cross that line as well.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Duke Kristian on Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:01 pm

I must totally agree with what has been said. I have been involved with Warhammer for many years, actually started playing Imperial Guard, yes 40K, way back when...and I am eagerly waiting the new 8th edition rule book. I have seen all types of armies, I have seen the League during the boom years and the bust years, and I agree with Scott that the bust periods also have alot to do with power gamers. Anyway what I think is awesome about Warhammer is the thinking, the strategy, the tactics, the models, the fluff and the fun...it is all about having fun. I love tourneys and seeing all the varied armies and everyones take on a specific race, it is alot of fun and i cant wait to get involved again. There will always be power gamers they seem to come and go, some retire their Disco Ball:) But it is always tons of fun deploying a comp'ed out army with loads of RnF and kicking some ass. A great man once said, "there is always hope"...but the dice does still bite every once in awhile.

Duke Kristian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kallidon on Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:16 pm

I'm handing over the reigns of the Hunters league to a couple other fellas, although Im stillgoing to run the forum.. just like Scott! With the baby here and having been playing 40k once a week for the past 7 years, it's definitely time for a break! Except for the past 6 months, where Ive played once.. another good reason. I also had to deal with a few problems resulting in a member being banned, and it just totally burnt me out for now.

And.. the codex creep is starting to rear up in 40k now. I dont think it's quite at the level as fantasy, but the past few codexes have definitely been pushing the power up. It's no secret that the Imperial Guard, Space Wolves and Blood Angels are sporting most of the strongest lists.

I still like to keep up with all the GW news though and nothing can get people playing again more than a new edition, so I'm hoping to get a few games in here.. maybe even take these shitty Beastmen out for a spin after having them in the cupboard for 4 years.. Smile

I thought there were some rumours about the new edition balancing out some of the armies.. I haven't heard to much to indicate that.. am I missing something?

Kallidon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Xolan on Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:39 pm

I myself am one of the fellows that bailed on the 40k league, but still wanted to keep gaming so decided to give fantasy a whirl. I like to bring lists to the table that I feel have a chance to win, but I do not "math-hammer" my lists to optimize killing power. As well, I am guiltly of playing with grey figures.....but I do honestly try to paint em....I just rather sucks at it. lol.

As well, I have heard rumblings that a few more guys other then myself, Robyn, and Ryan G are looking to move into Fantasy. These guys were all pretty good guys.....older fellows (Robyn and my age) so it should be okay. They all seemed pretty pumped about 8th edition, so we will see how many of us newbies stikck around after the shiny newness of 8th wears off.

As an aside, my Warriors of Chaos army showed up last week. Laughing I still am gonna wait until 8th shows up before I start playing.....less confusion that way.

Xolan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:20 pm

Just want to re-iterate that everyone is welcome here. We/I may sound like ornery old crotchety men but that is only because we are. We have high expectations of fun, fairplay, and co-operation that have resulted in not only a good group to game with but some real friendships.

No matter your age, experience, or any of that everyone will be given a fair opportunity to enjoy and contribute to the betterment of our little club.

Except Ryan Glover. BAMMM! Got that guy good!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:07 pm

Actually Scott, you said it as well as it could have been said.

Talking about myself, since I'm a Daemon player I've found that power lists can creep up on you. I played Beastmen for years and actually didn't mind getting ball-punched every game as it usually meant the other guy was having a lot of fun. Very Happy It seemed more fun to be the underdog.

When I started Daemons -- and I tried to avoid playing them as they are one of "those" armies, I just couldn't help it as I just loved the models. Then you're trying and painting new figs, changing your army up a bit, then right in the middle of a game you look at the army and realise; Uh-oh, I'm dangerously close to playing "that" list. And of course, you try to justify it by talking out loud about theme this and they're the only models I have, etc, but you know deep down that you don't even have to try to make a tough list with some armies. You ask yourself, "why would I not play with these units?"

I'm really looking forward to 8th, and even more importanly, the errata for each army to see how this whole thing gels out.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:08 pm

I heard something a little discouragin from Darren today at the Den. I hope he's wrong.

He said that there is not going to be a sweeping all inclusive re-boot of the army lists. There may be a FEW .pdf files but mostly GW thinks the army books are fine.

What? Okay... MAYBE the last couple were made with 8th edition in mind but HOW if the core rules are supposed to be so different can the small things like POINT VALUES still be valid?!?!?

I hope he's wrong and that everyone (Or at least everyone but Skaven and maybe Beast) get some kind of sweeping errata.

I like everything I have heard about the rules changes and I even ordered me upa book today. I also assembled and primed a plastic Orc just to see how it feels to paint. I painted a plastic 40K ork and really enjoyed it so here's hoping I can have fun doing some RnF again!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Freezingoon on Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:33 pm

That's strange, because I heard that there will be an errata for every army. I can't quote a source but I could swear I remember it from a GW article on the release of 8th ed. I have taken a look at 8th ed so there definitely needs to be an FAQ for almost every army, I mean they at least need to change the Enchanted Shield into an actual shield in most books because it says that army book rules and item prices over rule the rule book ones.

Freezingoon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  gluvzer on Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:53 pm

ScottRadom wrote:Except Ryan Glover. BAMMM! Got that guy good!

What the fuck is this? Scott tells me to check out this thread on a forum I never come to. And find he's bashing me on it..... Nice.. real nice..

@Robyn - I strongly disagree with any codex creep for recent armies. It's mainly an issue of other armies being way too dated. Guard can be beaten by any good strong, balanced lists. BA and SW are both realy good and have lots of options for good builds but are not broken by any means. And you're forgeting Nids, now there's a bad book.

@Goon - way to come across as a DB. You never announced on the 40k forum that you helped ruin it for a lot of players. Thanks. - ((EDIT): Sorry, a reread of this comes across pretty harsh. I wouldn't go as far to say that things are ruined, but they definitly are factioned. But why bring this up? Let people judge, sure fair enough but to post the way you did about it... sheeesh.)

And now I will disapear again. Sorry for bothering you guys. Scott brought me here, you can blame him.

OUT

Last edited by gluvzer on Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

gluvzer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:33 pm

Possibly the best first post ever.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:25 pm

gluvzer wrote:
ScottRadom wrote:Except Ryan Glover. BAMMM! Got that guy good!

What the fuck is this? Scott tells me to check out this thread on a forum I never come to. And find he's bashing me on it..... Nice.. real nice..

@Robyn - I strongly disagree with any codex creep for recent armies. It's mainly an issue of other armies being way too dated. Guard can be beaten by any good strong, balanced lists. BA and SW are both realy good and have lots of options for good builds but are not broken by any means. And you're forgeting Nids, now there's a bad book.

@Goon - way to come across as a DB. You never announced on the 40k forum that you helped ruin it for a lot of players. Thanks. - ((EDIT): Sorry, a reread of this comes across pretty harsh. I wouldn't go as far to say that things are ruined, but they definitly are factioned. But why bring this up? Let people judge, sure fair enough but to post the way you did about it... sheeesh.)

And now I will disapear again. Sorry for bothering you guys. Scott brought me here, you can blame him.

OUT

Yeah I smashed you good Sucka!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 4:32 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top