Ravening Hordes army Challenge!

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Ravening Hordes army Challenge!

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:20 pm

200 points is easy to do for some armies. Remeber you can do one character and it still counts, if it's a 200pnt character.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:57 pm

Do we have an official list yet of who is all in on this?

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Official list of RHACC's

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:04 pm

That's Ravening Hordes Army Challenge Contestants..... Maybe....

Scott Radom Dwarfs
Carson Gallant Dark Elves
Eric Miller Slanneshi Demons
Nathan Rinholm Bretonians
Rob Gonda Odds & Ends (This is a personal challenge to Mr. Gonda to paint up some of his shelved models. Ya here! A CHALLENGE!)
Don "Squallie" Smyth Ogre Kingdoms
Stash Slanneshi Demons?
Kieran Dunleavy ? Something (we can see you always, even in another province)

Anybody else? Any changes? Any of the question marks wish to confirm or deny their involvement?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:21 pm

I'll be in, but my Daemons have a fair bit of Khorne and Tzeentch in the list too. Anything but stinky Nurgle. Who needs resilience when you can just chop things to bits, burn them to ash and scare them off the table?

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:31 am

RickyDMMontoya wrote:I'll be in, but my Daemons have a fair bit of Khorne and Tzeentch in the list too. Anything but stinky Nurgle. Who needs resilience when you can just chop things to bits, burn them to ash and scare them off the table?

Nurgle is love!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:35 am

ScottRadom wrote:Okay, so here's the first draft of what I think we could use for rules.

Army Challenge:
-Each memeber must complete 200 points of army list legal models every month until the last weekend in July/09 (when we could try for a tourny or somethin'). You can finish as many points as you want of course, and you can use those points in further months if you like.
-Deadlines; Each player must post on this forum on or before the last night of the month in the section we will reserve for such things. Failure will result in the worst punishments!
-Wildcard; twice through the contest a member can use his wildcard to get an exemption from finishing that months alotted points totals, and will recieve a score of "4" for the month.
-Scoring; During the month following players will be asked to vote for their favorite 200 point chunk submitted during the previous month. The player with the most votes will get a "5" and all other players who finished their stuff will get a "4". Members who fail to completely paint thheir stuff will get 0-Not assambled 1-assembled 2-primed and ready to go 3-partially painted.

Maybe we can have a "Nite Apocalypse" event half way through and the winner will get some bonus points? How about a mega battle where the winning side all gets a couple extra?

What are the thoughts?

So In terms of rules for this, anyone have a problem with these? I think the penalty will simply be a "gentlemens agreement" on some sort of deally. I will offer up a BEvERage to anyone who completes the competition with a fully painted army. That's it, I think we're ready to go for Aug 1st. I'm gonna start assembling and priming my stuff for aug 1st. I'm pretty revved up to get my dwarf on again!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:19 pm

I think those are good rules. The point amount should be a guideline rather than a rule though. I think it should be plus or minus 50 points. If I'm painting up a unit that costs 190 points I'm not going to paint an extra 1/2 model just to bring it up to 200 points. Also if you paint a 400 point character you can't enter it for voting 2 months in a row. You submit it for voting the month it is completed and then the next month you get a 4.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:02 pm

nathanr wrote:I think those are good rules. The point amount should be a guideline rather than a rule though. I think it should be plus or minus 50 points. If I'm painting up a unit that costs 190 points I'm not going to paint an extra 1/2 model just to bring it up to 200 points. Also if you paint a 400 point character you can't enter it for voting 2 months in a row. You submit it for voting the month it is completed and then the next month you get a 4.

Well lets put it to a vote...

I am COMPLETELY in favor of making the 200 points a firm and fast rule. If you paint a unit worth 190, paint up an extra 10 point mans. If you paint up a 400 point character then you can either use a wildcard some month orwhatever. It's only 2000 points so if someone gets to a legal 2000 points in January they can keep going if they want.

What does everyone say?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:52 pm

The format looks good. I think at least 200 pts is the guideline. If you manage it right 200pts is fairly easy. Mix a character in with some rank and file and theres an easy paint.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:01 am

Alright, 200 points a month it is. What happens if I finish early? Do I just get automatic 4's for the rest of the months or can I paint up some models for my other armies and submit them for voting? Along the same line, if I use a wildcard for a month could I still paint up some other models to submit for voting? This could help add some variety to the competition and help buy time for assembling and converting.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:36 am

nathanr wrote:Alright, 200 points a month it is. What happens if I finish early? Do I just get automatic 4's for the rest of the months or can I paint up some models for my other armies and submit them for voting? Along the same line, if I use a wildcard for a month could I still paint up some other models to submit for voting? This could help add some variety to the competition and help buy time for assembling and converting.

Fantastic idea!

My thoughts were that if you finished your goal early you could just "Hang on" to the models and submit them as we go. That's what i plan on doing. I really like the idea of submitting other projects as well. I'm all for that, using a wildcard to get a "4" for no submission or using a wildcard for submitting another chunk of models, which gets you an automatic four if they're painted and maybe a "5" if you win the voting.

Any other thoughts, or did you have another format in mind for alternate submissions Nathan?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:23 pm

Nope, that sounds great to me, it will let me focus on this new army but still make time for some of my ongoing projects.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:17 am

Ok, I'm having kind of an anxiety attack. I'm staring at a pile of Ogre Kingdom boxes, wondering what I was thinking as I still have a BUNCH of Beasts to paint. Not to mention a pile of Chaos Mortals, that I won't paint because I'm waiting for the new models in Nov. (p.s.- Scott, don't worry about the OK stuff)

So, I understand that I can paint up Beast models that I have, and even REPAINT figs that I have? (Can't stand my Dragon Ogres, so there's a unit right there.)
Is this just "bare" models, with no options, that are recognized for points? Does a unit of Skeletons, Gors/Ungors, Elves, etc at least include their basic equipment, or would this be easily abused?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:00 am

squalie wrote:Ok, I'm having kind of an anxiety attack. I'm staring at a pile of Ogre Kingdom boxes, wondering what I was thinking as I still have a BUNCH of Beasts to paint. Not to mention a pile of Chaos Mortals, that I won't paint because I'm waiting for the new models in Nov. (p.s.- Scott, don't worry about the OK stuff)

So, I understand that I can paint up Beast models that I have, and even REPAINT figs that I have? (Can't stand my Dragon Ogres, so there's a unit right there.)
Is this just "bare" models, with no options, that are recognized for points? Does a unit of Skeletons, Gors/Ungors, Elves, etc at least include their basic equipment, or would this be easily abused?

Hey, we're all on the level here(probably). I have no problem with people factoring in weapons options or even magic banners, items etc. The thing is we're all going to vote on our submissions every month so if someone submits something and you as a voter think they're "paddin' the paintin'" just vote for someone else. Easy.

Repainting is a-OK. Models do NOT need to be bare metal. Most of what I want to paint is already mounted on the base with texture and primed. I will use my self given supreme authority and say that's okay. Given the lack of a massive prize we're not going to hunt people down for any infractions.

It'll be fun, I can't wait. I like Nathan's idea of submitting other stuff too. Means I can keep working on the last odds and ends for my demons.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:15 am

I have my 2000 point army list already planned out including magic items/banners etc. and I've broken it out into 200+ point chunks. 2 of my characters are over 200 points by themselves with magic items so they will each be a month project, my other character is only about 150 points (with magic items) so I'll paint him up with 2 unit standards which will bring the point total above 200. My 3 small units of knights will be 2 months worth of painting (1 1/2 units per month), and 3 of my units are 195 points each so I'm just painting a battle pilgrim model with each since my battle pilgrim unit is well above 200 points. If all goes well I should be done painting by April!

The final goal is a legal 2000 point army list so I think the best way to go into it is to make your list first and then figure out the best way to fit it into 200 point batches. You could also schedule your painting such that you'll have a 1000 or 1200 point army list painted up by January or February for the night apocalypse tournament that sometimes happens around then.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:49 pm

nathanr wrote:I have my 2000 point army list already planned out including magic items/banners etc. and I've broken it out into 200+ point chunks. 2 of my characters are over 200 points by themselves with magic items so they will each be a month project, my other character is only about 150 points (with magic items) so I'll paint him up with 2 unit standards which will bring the point total above 200. My 3 small units of knights will be 2 months worth of painting (1 1/2 units per month), and 3 of my units are 195 points each so I'm just painting a battle pilgrim model with each since my battle pilgrim unit is well above 200 points. If all goes well I should be done painting by April!

The final goal is a legal 2000 point army list so I think the best way to go into it is to make your list first and then figure out the best way to fit it into 200 point batches. You could also schedule your painting such that you'll have a 1000 or 1200 point army list painted up by January or February for the night apocalypse tournament that sometimes happens around then.

Ya know that's somethign I can just never bring myself to do, make a list first, then paint it. I always just sort of paintg up a bunch of stuff I either like the look of or I think looks really good on paper and then alter my schedule of stuff as I go. Of course that's also why I end up with a lot of painted stuff I never use ('cause it's awful on the table) and I always have way too many character models ('cause they're so fun to paint!). I will spit out at least 200 point a month, my goal is for 3000 plus by next year. There's some staple units I will need. I look forward to re-doing a bunch of the classic metal longbeards, cannons, thrunderes, ironbreakers etc. So I'll just start working and see where my paintbrush takes me.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:27 pm

Actually I'm on the other side of the fence. I usually paint up an army to a decided upon list....then as my idea usually breaksdown on the battlefield then I'll paint different stuff and mix it up.

I'm also going to be working towards 3000pts. Man have any of you seen the new dark elf book...it rocks. In no way over powered..looks like a good mix, but man is the new hydra cool!!!!! .......regeneration anyone plus some other goodies.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:10 pm

I can't wait to see your take on the new dark elves. Is there an army-wide special rule like the last couple books?

Are we still planning on having a tournament at the midway point and the end for this competition? I think it would be a good incentive to getting the painting done. I know I'm always scrambling before a tourney to get my army prepared. We could also just do another RadomCon instead of a formal tournament. I'm good for whatever.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:18 pm

The army wide rule is Hatred.

The new book is bitchin.

Dark Magic is the most destructive, most powerful, easiest to cast, and potentially damning magic around.

The Hydra is insane. 175 points of win.

The characters are awesome, the units are awesome. Hell, even the Cauldron of Blood is a great unit now.

There's nothing bad in the book. The new books are starting to really please me. They may make the older books a little sub-standard, but the fact that you can make an army with any of the unit selections from them is really amazing. There's no loser picks anymore.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:02 pm

I would have to agree with everything that Eric just said. Although I would say that there was a big mistake with the Tzeench deamons in the new book. Other than that I've really liked all the latest books!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Galadros on Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:28 pm

Dirty Radom! I havn't really been following this thread but noticed today that you're assuming I'd be in on this challenge.
Well... you're right. I can't resist. I'll be doing this Gonda-esque so that i can put paint on the cupboards full of models in the house. There are a great many things that could supplement the existing armies I have. There are daemons, goblins, flagellants, orcs, skeletons, lions, tigers, and bears. Oh, my!

Galadros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:42 pm

Here's what I'm thinking and it seems to follow the rules, so correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm going to paint 200 points of Beasts models each month until the new Warriors of Chaos comes out in November. THEN, I'm going to go full speed with the Warriors. I have Dragon Ogres, Warhounds, etc that I want to paint and since they are going to be in the new Warriors book, I can actually get started on them now. I should have no trouble painting 2000 points of warriors from Nov 08-July/09.

This will be alright?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:10 pm

squalie wrote:Here's what I'm thinking and it seems to follow the rules, so correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm going to paint 200 points of Beasts models each month until the new Warriors of Chaos comes out in November. THEN, I'm going to go full speed with the Warriors. I have Dragon Ogres, Warhounds, etc that I want to paint and since they are going to be in the new Warriors book, I can actually get started on them now. I should have no trouble painting 2000 points of warriors from Nov 08-July/09.

This will be alright?

This is A-OK. The goal is for people to put together a playable army in one years time, and to have fun doing it.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:11 pm

Galadros wrote:Dirty Radom! I havn't really been following this thread but noticed today that you're assuming I'd be in on this challenge.
Well... you're right. I can't resist. I'll be doing this Gonda-esque so that i can put paint on the cupboards full of models in the house. There are a great many things that could supplement the existing armies I have. There are daemons, goblins, flagellants, orcs, skeletons, lions, tigers, and bears. Oh, my!

I knew we'd get you! It's impossible to resist! Start up a blog in the appropriate section and keep us up to speed!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:53 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top