Regina FRAG Con April 23-25

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Regina FRAG Con April 23-25

Post  Ddodge on Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:44 pm

Hi, the FRAG group here is putting on there annual con- and the Sunday has a warhammer fantasy event. it is on the sunday and has three 2200 point games. On Saturday we are thinking about putting up a huge mordheim table and having a rolling battle all day.

http://reginagamers.com/

It has a link for registering. The composition rules you will find very familiar. I lifted them from the event Carson rana while ago where each army gets a score out of 10. The only change I made was moving magic from 200 to 220 points so it is 10% or less.

I find that some of the events in Regina are just a little too serious and I think some friendlier tourneys might be one way to change that up. Another would be to get some of you awesome guys down here to show them how its done.
email if you have any questions.
Thsnks, Dean

Ddodge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Regina FRAG Con April 23-25

Post  Duke Kristian on Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:59 pm

Ah...a new battlefield to stare across and meet a foe. Alas I am unsure that my forces will be ready for such a date. I will consult with my advisors and examine my current levies.

Duke Kristian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:37 pm

I'm gonna try and make this one Dean. Anyone else in from Saskatoon?

I will bring a nice soft fluffy Empire list............and kick ass.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:46 am

You can't kick ass with a fluffy Empire list. Fluffy, Empire & win can't happen in the same sentence -- except this one.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Duke Kristian on Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:50 am

Oh he has won with many a fluffy Empire Army....and lost with many also....let's not talk about Dark Elves...

Duke Kristian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:28 pm

Dean, if you don't mind could you tack up a poster there announcing the winner of your upcoming event. cheers

Oh, and the Dark Elves aquitted thier previous luster by going undefeated and capturing the coveted league championship...it only took a new "much better" book.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ddodge on Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:19 pm

Having a Saskatonian come in and wint the FRAG day in Regina might be just the thing to kick these guys in the nuts. It might encourage more to play more often and in a more sportsmanship friendly environment.
There are some super nice guys that play actually. I think they will just be happy to play some new people.

Ddodge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:40 am

Holy shit WTF!?

Players will get 5 points for a massacre, 4 for a solid victory, 3 minor victory, 2 draw, 1
loss.
Combined Scores
Therefore after each game a total score out of 10 composition + 10 opponent rating + 5
game result will total out of 25.

Composition counts for up to 10 points per game, sportsmanship counts for 10 points per game and battle results counts for up to 5 points per game?

So sportsmanship and composition count for !4! TIMES MORE POINTS than actually winning the game?

That strikes me as a little... crazy.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:02 am

That does seem a little excessive, I would actually feel bad for the people didn't pick up on that and brought super-hard lists designed to beat all comers.

I can imagine games will turn into battles of who can be more polite. "Whoops I'm 1/8" short on that charge, I guess I can't make it" "Oh no, that's close enough" "Oh I couldn't possibly feel right about that" "No I insist, please charge your bloodthirster into the flank of my spearmen!"

Yikes.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:56 am

Well you have more to gain from that then you do from winning...

I could imagine that actually beating someone would hurt your sports score so much that it could take you totally out of the running!

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ddodge on Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:39 pm

the game result scores are actually going to be the usual out of 20. When I posted it originally I screwed up. So 17 -3 for a massacre -winner victim, 10-10 for a draw, just like in most of the normal type of games days. I did intentionally make the sportsmanship a big deal though. That was to try to break some people habits of winnning at all costs.
they could still win, but they will only win one portion of the tourney. Sportsmanship and best painted armies will get equal awards.

Ddodge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:26 am

So, I was putting together a list to get ready for Frag day and start getting some games in around here before the event. My goal was to make a 10/10 Daemon list as there is no way I'll have Beasts painted in time.

I thought to myself that it actually might be a challenge to make a 10/10 list for Daemons and still make a solid list -- I was wrong, and I should have known better.

Here's a 2200 "perfect comp" Daemon list:

1 Herald of Khorne, Jugger, Firestorm blade, Armour Khorne
16 Bloodletter, full command

Herald of Tzeentch, Disc, master of sorcery, flames of Tzeentch (not sure about this guy)

10 Horrors
10 Horrors
10 Horrors
10 Horrors

5 Fleshhounds
5 Fleshhounds
5 Screamers

6 Flamers

1. 700+ core
2. 900+ core (924)
3. more than 3 core
4. Did not fill special and rare
5. Core outnumbers special+rare
6. less than 700 on characters (565)
7. less than 220 magic (130)
8. less than 2 shooting units
9. 8 powerdice
10. 1 flying unit

That fulfills every criteria in the comp sheet, but I feel that it is very competitive! And then playing a few games around here with it has proven so. It seems ironic that trying to make a perfect comp list actually ends up with being a solid Daemon list.

Thoughts?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:16 pm

Its pretty hard not to make a solid Deamon list isn't it? Very Happy

Dosn't seem right mixing units though Don. Just suck it up and bring your Khorne army. What would it score?

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:00 pm

Its pretty hard not to make a solid Deamon list isn't it?

That's the point I was trying to get across. I looked at the stipulations, made the list and realised I just made "that" Daemon list. The irony is In I'm bringing a balanced perfect comp score list, but in doing so bringing a pretty competitive Daemon list.

I actually really enjoy the mono-Khorne list(which scores a 6, by the way) but I noticed that I'm just a spectator when playing against VC and Tomb Kings. I can do nothing to stop their magic and they just run circles around me. They virtually control the whole game. It's like a Charlie Chaplin movie! Very Happy

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:56 pm

So I made it home after yesterdays Regina FRAG tournament.

First off, congrats Dean on running a smooth well-run event. Good scenarios. Don and myself did quite well. I went 3-0 with the Empire and I believe Don went 2-1 with his Khorne Deamon list. I ended up winning best sportsman and Don took home best painted.

Attending this tournament certainly made me appreciate the community of players we have in Saskatoon though. While I played 3 very nice fellows the armies that were brought were quite horrendous. Min/max armies with all the tricks and gimmicks available. I for example played against a High Elven army with Teclis Shocked and a level 2 on a Sun Dragon. His core consisted of 10 barebones spearmen and 10 archers......yikes.

Sadly the Deamon army that won was a cut and paste internet army consisting of Kairos Fateweaver, bluescribes and the Tzeentch herald filth. I'll let Don fill you in on that lovelyness as he had to play him last round.

All in all though I had a good time. The only helpful advice I could give to Dean for future events would be to tighten up the sportsmanship scoring so that filth like the deamon Tzeentch army could be justly penalized by its opponents.

Oh by the way, that army scored a 2 out of 10 on comp.

Question Dean....was comp then out of 20 or just 10 because if it was just out of 10 then comp really did not account for enough in a "comp" event. Battle points then would account for too much of the curve.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:32 pm

Just got back from the Regina games day and had a great time (won best painted )....except for one game -- but I'll come to that. It was a great event, put on by a great guy and I don't envy the work it takes to put one together. Dean should get a clap on the back.

Here's the comp criteria, if anyone missed it, and you get one point for fulfilling each of these: Army Composition Score
1-Did you spend at least 700pts on core units
2-Did you spend 900 or more pts on core units
3-Did you fill more than your minimum core slots- must say core unit in army book (ie
empire detachments donít count)
4-Other than Highelves, did you refrain from filling your special or rare slots (High elves
get a point)
5-Other than Highelves, do your core units outnumber your special and rare slots
combined (High elves get a point)
6-did you spend 700 or less points on characters. note....this includes magic items,
marks, daemonic gifts, vampire bloodlines, etc.
7- did you spend no more than 220pts on magic items
8-excluding artillery, do you have 2 or less units of missile armed troops.
9-does your army generate 8 or less powerdice. note.....that each bound item, prayer,
tombking incantation counts as 1 powerdice for this calculation.
10- does your army have only 1 unit or less with the flying special rule.

This score will be used each game combined with the opponent rating system. I knew this was the last time I was going to play my mono-Khorne list before 8th as I want to spread my wings Start my Beastmen list and High elves.

My list:

Khorne Herald on Jugger, Firestrom blade, Armour Khorne (of course)

Khorne Herald on Jugger, Firestrom blade, Armour Khorne, BSB - Banner of Sundering.

Khorne Herald, on foot, naked

16 Bloodletters, full command - Skull totem (general here)

16 Bloodletters, full command - Skull totem (BSB here)

17 Bloodletters, full command - Skull totem (foot Herald here)

5 Flesh Hounds

5 Flesh Hounds

8 Furies

3 Bloodcrushers

3 Bloodcrushers

2199 pts.

I always struggle whether to use the Sundering or Chaos Glory standard as they're both brilliant for different reasons. I would say I get more milage from the Chaos glory as I'm not stopping any magic anyways. Rolling Eyes Now this list scored a 5/10 for comp. Really. While the next list I thought about taking would have scored a 10/10, but I would have felt guilty:

Herald of Tzeentch, Disc, master of sorcery, flames of Tzeentch (not sure about this guy)

10 Horrors
10 Horrors
10 Horrors
10 Horrors

5 Fleshhounds
5 Fleshhounds
5 Screamers

6 Flamers

That's a "perfect comp" list. There's some irony there.

Anyhoo, my first game was against a good lad running a large block Empire list, and by turn 5 there wasn't much of a fight left in him. Massacre for me.

Next game, I played the Empire player's brother! Another good guy with a High Elf list that was a little harder, no Dragon though, and I made the minor victory. pencil shavings away from a SV.

3rd game: Rolling Eyes Here we go...

His list:

Kairos (blah, blah)

Blue Scribes (yadda, yadda)

Changling (wakka, wakka)

Tzeentch Herald, wings, Flames of tzeentch

Tzeentch Herald, wings, Flames of tzeentch

29 Horrors (changling here)

10 Horrors

10 Horrors

4 Screamers

4 Screamers

6 Flamers

6 Flamers

Actually downplayed this list to anyone that wold listen and defended it by saying it's a "themed" army -- which is technically true. Laughing

You know the sound when you're trying to listen to something underwater? Can you picture a huge swarm of bees clouding around a baby mouse? Well, that's what I heard and how I felt. It was an absolute test of pain tolerance. It was a slaughter, but he had no idea how to play his army, tried to "hover" his Screamers, didn't know that a BSB allowed re-rolls ( scratch )and insisted you couldn't direct attacks to a unit champ. Didn't have a rulebook and was a master at the "quick-roll-and-scoop" for his dice. Since I was trying for a solid Sportsmen score, I just kept smiling and biting my tongue. By turn 6 I had 2 'Crushers and One. single. Flesh Hound. I gave him that look that said "no mas", but he said he'd like to keep playing as he wanted every single model. He wouldn't even spare me the dignity of not rubbing my face in it. This guy was the epitome of what NO ONE likes to play against. Power gamer= bad. Cheater= very bad. Both? The only reason I didn't make a scene was I didn't want to make it uncomfortable for Dean who put on a great event.

I could take the cheating and the blatant rules disrespect, but the fact that he couldn't care less whether I had a good time or not is what really bothered me. He had no interest in leaving a good impression, he just wanted to be that bully in the schoolyard. He seemed to be talking to himself more than me and argued every rule. Even ones that are the "absolute" basics of Warhammer. Now for him to show up with a list like that and not even know that a BSB allows rerolls just tells me this guy's a net-lister. Didn't even know anything about Daemons, but shows up with one of "the" lists. After the game was over another fellow came up and asked if I found anything funny about his dice rolls, to which I really appreciated someone saying first as if I had said it, it would have sounded like crying. Laughing I didn't just check off the Sportman boxes, I wrote a few sentences for good measure. Wink

Let this be a warning shot to anyone that reads this (especially this fellow) I will absolutely call you out next time, in public, and pour Slurpee on your head just like in "Weird Science". You have been warned. tongue

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:17 pm

Nice. I've never had a game like that which I am very grateful for. I was once on the receiving end of Stash's Tzeentch army but at least he's a nice enough guy!

Way to go not murdering him on the spot, you are the bigger man!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ddodge on Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:06 am

I really appreciated you guys coming down to play. I agree wholeheartedly about the comp scores being tighter next time and I wish I would have seen any suspicious/cheating though as I would have had no problem bringing that to an end. I know that even the Regina guys that played had no fun at all with that guy.

The way I see that tourney is this: three guys had average and fun armies. 2 more genuinely nice guys, who played more in some tournaments in Regina, felt that they had to trick out their armies to deal with big cheese that would inevitably come from a few players. One player was just getting back into wh and tried his best. One had a brand new army and didnt know all the rules, but was just trying to learn it. And there was Carson and Don- excellent players and sports. And very sadly, the guy with the least enjoyable list for people to play against, and has no concern for other players time, and relied on a list to win battles for him. When I gave him the little trophy I didnt call it best general- just most wins or points. No reliance on strategy at all- just a crazy list. I honestly felt bad about putting Don up against that for the last battle- I knew it was going to be all sorts of ugly. I would play all of the guys there again, minus one.

I had an inner hope that having Don and Carson play here would show some local people, not all, that there are different approaches to the whole experience. Enjoying all aspects of the hobby- modeling, painting, playing to the best of your ability and playing for FUN for all involved. I know a few of the local guys were quite pissed off about how it ended up and perhaps this will be a tipping point moment where they try, more than in the past, to help create a positive culture.

In hindsight- I shouldn't have discounted the comp scores for the victory winner. I got some heat from some guys for making the comp too important in all the categories so I took it out as a major factor in the victory point calculations. It was a second factor for tie breaking. I used the comp scores to set up initial battles, and in a tie breaker for sportsmanship, and a tie breaker in the other categories.

I know that most of the people who went away had a good time, but if there had been more interest in making lists that were enjoyable and challenging to play that would have been better. What would you guys suggest to continue to do to change some of the playing culture down here? I honestly think that part of the problem is that there is no one place where people play together and sort of bash this stuff out on an ongoing basis.

So to change the culture how did you guys do that?

Ddodge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:01 am

I think having a forum like this one makes it easier, if someone posts a list and it gets widely criticised by the people he will be playing then maybe he will go back and make some changes. That said, I think the biggest reason for our group being the way it is because of the examples that the older guys who have been around for a while set (Carson, Bob, Scott). They win without having to resort to cheesy lists and it helps us to see that its possible. From what I've heard, there were problems in the past and the gaming scene here in Saskatoon had some rough times but we seem to have come through them and the community is better for having done it.

As for the one guy that just doesn't get it? He will quickly run out of people willing to play him outside of tournaments and in tournaments you just have to put him up against the Dons and Carsons of the world who will be able to deal with him and set an example of good sportsmanship while doing it. It sucks for them, but at least he isn't influencing younger players to bring similar lists or quit the hobby altogether because of a bad experience.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:23 am

Dean, great tournament and very well run. I will definitly be staeling your idea of the board listing the upcoming battles and opponents. Congrats.

Youve got to work hard to form a community around the players who show up to have fun and compete. The Pearce brothers seemed liek good chaps who came to compete but with fun lists. After that it comes down to peer pressure. Nathans right....In Saskatoon if someone shows up with "that" list he will quickly hear about it from the community.

I learned quite quickly when I attended my first comp tournament. I first started playing by using the min/max route as I thought that was the way to win, but once you start playing awhile and see how others play you learn that yeah, the game has to be fun for both players and it is more rewarding by using friendly but competitive lists.

I won all three games with minor victories on Sunday which really could of gone either way. I know I snuck out the first two victories just by having the years of game experience under my belt. They were very fun games as both my opponent and myself had a shot at winning right up until the last turn.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:14 am

How to you trim unwanted behaviour froma community? As mentioned I'd go with peer pressure! Alternatively you could try and bring up some kind of comp thingy for games outside of a tourny? When it got bad here it was a case of army creep. Skaven shooty magic and VC summony armies became super tough, then a lot of players just went to the army book and cooked up their "oh yeah!" response armies. It faded.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:54 am

The Pearce brothers seemed liek good chaps who came to compete but with fun lists.
Slightly OT, but I think it should be mentioned again. Really nice guys that would fit well with the Saskatoon crowd. Dean, you should mention to these guys that they're good ambassadors to the hobby.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:52 pm

By the way Carson, I noticed in the tourny that you lost a big unit to the "13th spell". Which unit was it?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ben the kid is back on Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:44 am

wow squile i would have shot him on the spot. Kudos to your extreme patience

ben the kid is back

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:48 am

Sponsored content