Ravening Hordes army Challenge!

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ravening Hordes army Challenge!

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:18 pm

Hey hey hey! Nathan had an idea that has now been ripped off for our own use. It is....

The Ravening Hordes Army Challenge!

Nathan's idea was for each paritcipant to agree to paint 200pnts per month for a period of 12 months. Each player also gets 2 "get out of jail free" cards that excludes them from having to get their stuff done for that month. At the end of it all we could have a tourny (and of course lots of league stuff in between). But what to do for a penalty? Any thoughts? I actually like the "paint or die" concept of each player who fails having to by a boxed set (probably a 45$ regiment) for each other player who made their goals. Lists would not have to be legal until the end, so you could always bang out a character an some puds in a month to make it easy on yourself.

Rules.
1) This would have to be new models only. Anything existing could be used if it was stripped and re-painted, but it's cheating to enter stuff done before the official "go" date
2) Models would have to be based and basically painted to a tabletop standard. Our own discretion would be fine. I just want people to put good efforts into this event.
3) How about a scoring system? They've got something like it in this months WD where the guy who submits his stuff on time gets a 5, and the late guys get a three. We could give everybody a chance to vote on their favorite submissions for the month and they get a 5, vs 4 for completed entries. Winners of tournaments etc could get a couple bonus entries. Waddaya think?

Any other thoughts? I think this would be a great way to get people to paint up some of the stuff they've been hanging onto for a long while. I look forward to this. Probably dwarfs, but maybe Tomb Kings again.

This will start Aug 1st, so we have some time to drum up some rules.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ravening Hordes army Challenge!

Post  squalie on Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:25 pm

Of cooooourse you'll do Tomb Kings! Pretty easy to dip 200 points a month! Razz

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:44 pm

squalie wrote:Of cooooourse you'll do Tomb Kings! Pretty easy to dip 200 points a month! Razz

I don't dip mo-fo! They'd all be expertly blended using 20 different shades. Course it will only LOOKED dip to your untrained eye, heathen, but in truth they would all be golden demon quality. If they were judged by the appropriateley trained expert judges, and not you filthy drybrushers that is!

Actually the easiest army probably would be dwarfs. Iron breakers w/command at 20 strong is about 280pnts. Easy to do. Dwarf lord, that's another month's commitment. Oh yeah, I can see it all laid before me in easy 200 point chunks.... Probably dwarfs then.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:43 pm

I'd like to use this as an opportunity to paint up a Ogre Kingdoms army. Dipped.

Laughing

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:05 pm

I can't afford to buy a new 2000 point army, I just have odds and ends left for the 2 armies I have now. I think it would all add up to about 2000 points but it wouldn't be a legal army list by any stretch of the imagination. My brother might have 2000 points of unpainted bretonians, but I don't know if he would let me paint them all!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:22 pm

nathanr wrote:I can't afford to buy a new 2000 point army, I just have odds and ends left for the 2 armies I have now. I think it would all add up to about 2000 points but it wouldn't be a legal army list by any stretch of the imagination. My brother might have 2000 points of unpainted bretonians, but I don't know if he would let me paint them all!

Is he your older or younger brother? If he's older, just ask him politely, and if he's says no go crying to your folks about how mean he is and then they'll guilt him into coughing them up.

If YOU'RE the older then just take them. If he puts up a fuss just yell something about manifest destiny and how these miniatures are your's now, because you want them. Then whistle the German national anthem.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Grapeshot on Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:00 am

I might just try to get in on this. I will have to see where things stand come August 1 in terms of money and time.

Grapeshot
Admin

View user profile http://raveninghordes.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:01 am

Grapeshot wrote:I might just try to get in on this. I will have to see where things stand come August 1 in terms of money and time.

Do it, you'll love yourself forever!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kallidon on Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:29 pm

Good idea! Maybe I'll steal this for the 40K league as well... as everyone keeps on buying more models but not alot is getting painted.

If we did, I'd make sure to be part of both. However, I'll wait for a sign off before taking anything away. I'd been thinking of a paint of die like challenge for a bit but this is much more negotiable amongst the groups.

Kallidon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Grapeshot on Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:19 pm

I will admit to yall right now that it would be a dip job. To that end i think that vampire counts might work, skaven, or orcs and goblins. For those more familiar with fantasy what works with the dip?

Grapeshot
Admin

View user profile http://raveninghordes.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:48 pm

Kallidon wrote:Good idea! Maybe I'll steal this for the 40K league as well... as everyone keeps on buying more models but not alot is getting painted.

If we did, I'd make sure to be part of both. However, I'll wait for a sign off before taking anything away. I'd been thinking of a paint of die like challenge for a bit but this is much more negotiable amongst the groups.

I'd try my Death Korps for that! Except I'm painting right now, so penalize me any amount you want.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:00 pm

Grapeshot wrote:I will admit to yall right now that it would be a dip job. To that end i think that vampire counts might work, skaven, or orcs and goblins. For those more familiar with fantasy what works with the dip?

Ain't no dip party like a skeleton dip party! Actually everything dips well with them, ghouls, zombies. The only thing you really need to take your time on are the center piece models like characters and stuff.

I wouldn't dip skaven myself. Orc n' goblins would probably dip okay too.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:52 pm

If we do this I'm in with the new Dark Elves....yeah baby!

Carson

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:54 pm

I could be convinced to do Sisters for 40k as well....can't believe I just wrote that.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:00 pm

Carson wrote:I could be convinced to do Sisters for 40k as well....can't believe I just wrote that.

To bad you've been doing "brothers" in real life for so long now!

P.S. You're gay.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:27 pm

damnit, who told you!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ironwoulf on Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:42 pm

Army challenge sounds intriguing but i have enough unpainted and partly painted figs. Nathanr had an idea i like, What kind of army can you put together with odds, ends, bits and pieces? I could several 1000 pts of really old, old, and new figs. Skeletons are quick and easy to do, they look great with only a bare bones paint job.

Sisters of battle - aren't those little dollies,

Ironwoulf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:17 pm

I might be in, but I don't like the "paint or die" idea. I'm going to have a hard enough time buying my army let alone buying a $45 box for everyone when I fail! We could all put in $10 bucks or something and say winner takes all.

I think I'm going to try to do a themed army that I've been planning for a long time but have never got around to doing. I'll keep everyone in suspense for the moment but let me assure you it is going to be awesome. On that note, if anyone has any of the following models that they would be willing to part with (for a fair price) please let me know:

- Dark Elf witch elves (I need 9)
- Bretonian knights of the realm (18-24)
- Warhammer 40K Necron C'Tan Nightbringer and/or Deceiver
- Bretonian battle pilgrims/Empire flagellants (I need around 20)
- Empire Warrior Priest

Crazy assortment I know, Rest assured almost every model will be covered in quite a bit of green stuff!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:33 pm

Excellent, Big fan of building an army with a theme in mind.....its what really makes the hobby. Can't wait to hear your idea.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Rules v1.0

Post  ScottRadom on Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:55 am

Okay, so here's the first draft of what I think we could use for rules.

Army Challenge:
-Each memeber must complete 200 points of army list legal models every month until the last weekend in July/09 (when we could try for a tourny or somethin'). You can finish as many points as you want of course, and you can use those points in further months if you like.
-Deadlines; Each player must post on this forum on or before the last night of the month in the section we will reserve for such things. Failure will result in the worst punishments!
-Wildcard; twice through the contest a member can use his wildcard to get an exemption from finishing that months alotted points totals, and will recieve a score of "4" for the month.
-Scoring; During the month following players will be asked to vote for their favorite 200 point chunk submitted during the previous month. The player with the most votes will get a "5" and all other players who finished their stuff will get a "4". Members who fail to completely paint thheir stuff will get 0-Not assambled 1-assembled 2-primed and ready to go 3-partially painted.

Maybe we can have a "Nite Apocalypse" event half way through and the winner will get some bonus points? How about a mega battle where the winning side all gets a couple extra?

What are the thoughts?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lord_Stash on Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:52 pm

Hey im in with Slaanesh daemons. The start I had on any of them looks awfull and needs redoing anyway. As for defaulting, I probably will only default if at that time I can't aford the last unit or so I need for a full army, therefore under the circumstances you can kiss my ass about buying everyone a regiment box Razz

Lord_Stash

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:37 pm

Lord_Stash wrote:Hey im in with Slaanesh daemons. The start I had on any of them looks awfull and needs redoing anyway. As for defaulting, I probably will only default if at that time I can't aford the last unit or so I need for a full army, therefore under the circumstances you can kiss my ass about buying everyone a regiment box Razz

That was just a thought. I don;t know if we need a real punishment, other than shame!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:08 am

I think in the end the real prize is a fully painted 2000 point army! I like the idea of having a tournament at the end of it all and maybe a 1000 point tourney/megabattle somewhere in the middle. The megabattle might be more feasable since some people might not yet have 1000 points painted or have a legal 1000 point list.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:26 am

nathanr wrote:I think in the end the real prize is a fully painted 2000 point army! I like the idea of having a tournament at the end of it all and maybe a 1000 point tourney/megabattle somewhere in the middle. The megabattle might be more feasable since some people might not yet have 1000 points painted or have a legal 1000 point list.

Agreed, mega battle may be the way to go. Aug 1st is coming!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:31 am

I'll probably have to either use my wild cards or score 1's and 2's for the first few months as I have a lot of converting to do. Also I need to order in a bunch of stuff. I'll try painting up the rest of my wood elf army while I wait!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:30 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top