League playoff game(s)

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: League playoff game(s)

Post  Ironwoulf on Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:00 pm

rematch for next weekend, Nathan. It will be exact same list with the correction, which I will inform you of to keep things fair.

Ironwoulf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:29 pm

Don't worry everyone, I am going to cheat WAY more than that in my game against Joe.

Which is tomorrow at 1PM if anyone wants to spectate!

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:08 pm

Sounds good to me, I will be using the same list as well.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JoeMisfeldt on Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:40 pm

Eric and I had our game yesterday resulting in the undead hordes ousting the ratmen from the playoffs. The battlefield was separated into 2 flanks with an epic combat on one side which at one time had 7 units involved. Magic was close until Eric started to lose wizards and it seemed he missed a lot of dispels by one or two. All in all a good game and one I felt could have gone either way depending on who won that monster combat.

JoeMisfeldt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ironwoulf on Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:01 pm

nathanr wrote:Sounds good to me, I will be using the same list as well.

How does Saturday sound

Ironwoulf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:07 pm

Sure saturday sounds good. When do you want to start? Joe should come too and the winner can play him right after.

Congrats to Joe on the win, sounds like it was a pretty epic fight.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JoeMisfeldt on Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:51 pm

The final may have to played at a later date as this weekend is pretty busy for me. I am in the high voltage classic street hockey tourney out front of city hall with our first game 1pm Saturday. We are the defending champs so there is pressure to repeat.

JoeMisfeldt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:10 pm

My game against Don was a total bust. Which makes it two total bust games against Don in the last two.

I swore last game that I would never try and outfight Khorne Daemons again, and brought a list to try and beat them to death in close combat.

Everything went wrong. Doomwheels misfiring, panicking, breaking, Queek getting his head smashed in.
Every fear test I needed a 10 on, I got an 11, every break test, failed, every roll to hit or wound, missed. In my first magic phase, one wizard miscast, losing his (only) magic level and suffering a wound, One wizard miscast and suffered a wound, and one wizard successfully cast Warp Lightning but then promptly rolled a 1 for number of hits - inflicting a wound on himself. Oh yeah. It was that kind of game.

By the end of turn 3 I had lost approximately 1700 of my 2200 points, and killed about a handful of Don's models. Now some of you may look down your nose at surrendering, but a unit of Censer bearers, some Giant Rats and Clan Rats, do not a Daemon army defeat. I did have to go get Don some money too.

Next time I really will beat the shit out of your damn Daemons in close combat. Bring a Bloodthirster, I'll punch him down too.

My game against Joe was decided on the basis that I killed too many models in close combat.

I had an 8 wide unit of Super Stormvermin with Skavenbrew inspired Death Frenzy (for 3 WS5 S5 attacks each) engaged against half of Joe's army.

Unfortunately, they killed the entire unit to the front of them a turn too late, leaving them flanked by Wraiths and Black Knights, with a unit of Ghouls clipped on their front corner providing 20 unit strength and 3 ranks. I still held for 3 full turns simply on the kills that Queek and the 3 models engaged managed to inflict, but once the Wraiths did Queek in, it was all over. Engaged like that, there was nothing I could do to bring any of my models into combat, so I had to sit and watch 6 of my poor Skaven stand idly by in the front rank each round.

A hard fought game, but once the majority of my unit removed themselves from combat against 3 enemy units, I was pretty screwed.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:03 am

Eric, I'm sorry I didn't hear you over the sound of me counting rat skulls. Laughing

Seriously, Eric recounts exactly how it happened and I actually forgot some of that. There is nothing worse than playing a game of Warhammer and there is that long silence where you're opponent can do no right...and you can't fail a ward save to win the lottery. Some games aren't actually games, they're the anomally that proves the "once in a thousand games" analogy. I wanted to hug Eric, but I think he would have called the police.

I am actually painting a Bloodthirster and other Daemons, so be careful what you wish for...

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:09 am

Does 1:00 on Saturday work for you Bob? My daughter naps then so it would probably be the best time for me to get away.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ironwoulf on Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:15 am

nathanr wrote:Sure saturday sounds good. When do you want to start? Joe should come too and the winner can play him right after.

Congrats to Joe on the win, sounds like it was a pretty epic fight.

if Joe can make it then I would play you 11AM and Joe is ready to play at 2PM.

Ironwoulf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:58 am

It sounds like Joe is out for this weekend unfortunately (see 5 posts up) but I could probably still play you at 11 if that works better for you than 1:00.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ironwoulf on Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:04 am

nathanr wrote:It sounds like Joe is out for this weekend unfortunately (see 5 posts up) but I could probably still play you at 11 if that works better for you than 1:00.

Lets do 1Pm if that works better for you. See you at the Den

Ironwoulf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ironwoulf on Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:10 pm

is everything a go for 1PM Saturday at the Den - smack'em down drag 'em out to the death match?

Ironwoulf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:34 pm

You bet, same lists right?

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ironwoulf on Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:51 pm

same list with a correction on mine - general has "Crimson Death" a halbard that gives Str6 for 25 pts to replace the 50 pt sword of riun that negated armor saves

Ironwoulf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:47 pm

Cool. I'm coming with a plan that will hopefully last beyond deployment! Better bring your A game Bob!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JoeMisfeldt on Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:08 pm

So it turns out I have a game at 1pm and then not until 6:30. I should be done around 2:30 so I will stop by the den and await the victor. Hopefully the winner has time to stay for a second game or perhaps we can reschedule.

JoeMisfeldt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:19 pm

If the loser can stick around, I'll play them for third place too!

No money on the line, but think of the bragging rights!

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:26 pm

Sounds like a good plan, everyone knows bronze is the new gold!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:42 pm

Bob and I had our re-match game this afternoon and the result was pretty much exactly the opposite of the first game. Instead of me not being able to get a good dice roll to save my life it was Bob. He shot close to 50 or 60 crossbow bolts at my waywatchers and only managed to kill 1 over the course of the game. At the eld of the game I had wiped out everything but his general and a unit of black guard while Bob only succeeded in killing a unit and a half of wardancers and a branchwraith. Through it all, Bob was a perfect sportsman and it was a very enjoyable game. Thanks for the great game Bob!

Joe's road hockey games got re-sheduled for this afternoon so he wasn't available for the final match so we'll have to set it up for another time. I think I'm available Wednesday or Thursday evening.

(Edit: I thought I was available tomorrow afternoon but it turns out I'm not)

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:25 pm

I think you guys should have a rematch to decide who actually is the winner.......seems only fair! Very Happy

Oh, and if Joe dosn't make his glorious presence available soon to us lowly serfs before too long I shall declare a new winner!

just kidding.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:33 am

I do feel kind of bad getting the win this time around. Bob just couldn't get a good dice roll to save his life and I got good rolls all over the place. All that after he had beat me quite badly the first go around, then beat everyone in sportsmanship by realizing a trivial mistake in his list and insisting on making it right. If it didn't take so long to arrange games I'd say we should change the playoff system to be best of 3 but that would just make the playoffs take even longer than they already do.

I might be available this coming weekend for a game too Joe, but my sister is due to have a baby any day now and if she does then this weekend I'll be headed out of town to visit them.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:16 am

What was the point of the rematch then? Unless you expected the exact same result as last game you can't feel guilty that it didn't work out for Bob. I have sympathy for Bob, as that's happened to all of us at one time or other, but that's why you replayed that game -- to settle it.

Don't feel bad, if anyone can dust himself off after a defeat like that, it's Bob.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:09 pm

Good point Don, I think the real difference between this game and the first one was that I stuck to my plan and didn't get distracted when things started to look bad for me. at one point Bob was advancing up my right flank with 2 units of corsairs and a unit of harpies and all I had to stop them was a unit of wardancers and a unit of glade guard. My main combat units were stuck in a standoff against Bob's main combat units and I didn't want to move in anything else for support. Normally I would have abandoned my plan and shifted a lot more units over to help, thus weakening my center but this time I didn't, instead I wheeled a second unit of archers to lend some arrows and moved my treeman into a position where he could threaten either the center or the flank. It worked quite well and I was able to eliminate the threat without having to bring in a bunch more reinforcements.

My waywatchers were the unit of the match though, they absorbed probably 80% of Bob's shooting throughout the course of the game - well actually the trees around the waywatchers did the absorbing as only 1 was killed by the 50+ crossbow bolts that were fired at them. In return they killed a unit of shades, a unit of crossbowmen and a bolt thrower.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:03 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top