Squalie's Daemons (Slaanesh AND Tzeentch)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Squalie's Daemons (Slaanesh AND Tzeentch)

Post  squalie on Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:51 pm

Since the Khorne army is more or less done, I thought I'd move on to Slaanesh. This is the idea I had for Slaanesh themed Furies:

I traded my WoC away to get the specific models that I wanted; namely the Juan Diaz metal Daemonettes and Seekers. Following the Khorne theme, the bases will be done the same so at the end I could play a huge Daemon list should I choose.

I guess I'll just update as things trickle along

**edit** I thought instead of making a Tzeentch thread, that I'd just put everything in here...

Last edited by squalie on Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Squalie's Daemons (Slaanesh AND Tzeentch)

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:37 pm

That looks great!

One thingy, the plastic flying bases are so damned fragile. Have you considered getting some brass rod and cutting it down? It's way more durable and I think painted black it doesn't look to obtrusive. I just think of the pain of having to reglue those bases all the time. And the damn mounting pin's always break off in the model!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:55 pm

Actually Scott, until I saw the picture I didn't realise how 'in the way' those plastic bases really are. I thought of a thin metal rod, but you say brass? Either way you're right, the plastic rods have to go.

I'm putting together around 60 Juan Diaz Daemonettes and are those arms a pain in the ass! The pieces are so small! I've never pinned anything in my life, but maybe now is the time. It's gonna' be a sexy army with all that 6th edition Slaanesh on the table. Right now I can't decide between bodies that are near white, or Black with highlights. I'm going to use Scaly Green as a complimentary colour so I'll post each and read the suggestions. I'm really leaning towards black as anything near white scares me. No

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ben the kid is back on Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:31 pm

i love it

ben the kid is back

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:59 pm

I think a black and green scheme would look pretty slick, but definitely get rid of the plastic rod and go for either metal rod or else build up the bases and pin a foot or part of a tail or something to the highest point.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:30 pm

K, I did a couple of test figs. Keep in mind that since these are test models, that the paint is very thick in some places as there might be 4 layers of different colour paint showing through. The front of a loin cloth is white, while the back is red and claws of different colours, etc...

The Moose Jaw boys really like the white Daemonette, while I'm really leaning towards the black. I thought that maybe Scaly green "hair" would look good, with bone coloured claws, but the claws aren't grabbing me (pun not intended) like I thought they would.

So, what do you guys think? I might take none of your advice, cuz it's usually crap, but you never know.. Razz

I ALSO painted a test fig for the Spore-Mines-as-Horrors, just to see if it's viable. Everyone other than Scott please advise. Since I want 75-90 Horrors on the table, and since that would cost a Kajillion dollars (It's a word, I looked it up) I could at least use these as Blue Horrors. Again, opinions welcome except for Scott -- who will not be able to help himself. Wink

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:28 pm

I think the white one has more contrast which really makes it pop while the black one is more sinister looking. I don't really have an opinion about the spore mine horror, it could probably work but it doesn't really look that horror-ey... horrorish? Whatever, it doesn't really look like a horror to me. I think I'd have to see a unit of them to be convinced otherwise.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:48 pm

Go with the white.....cuz white is right Very Happy

The spore mine looks good but still can't see them working as a horror unit

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:07 pm

If Scott ends up being right about this.... Mad

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GobbladasSquig on Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:22 pm

Wow, nice color schemes, both. I used to paint my daemonettes white (much paler than yours, though) with, I would have to say, exactly the same red claws as the other one of the black girl. I actually really like the dark skin, it's very different and quite beautiful. But somehow the color combination isn't working for me. IMO the red claws don't fit, the bone ones are a bit closer but still no bingo. And another thing are the blueish lips, not working... Sorry that I can't be more specific. I guess I just like the idea of black daemonettes but the rest of the color palette is lacking.

On the other hand, the white is very nice. Very nice. If you choose to go with it, you're gonna have good looking units. Smile

I must say that the spore mine is looking better than what I remembered. Nicely painted too. But I still think that something like 3 blocks, 30 each, of just those things hovering in place, identically... It will look static.

GobbladasSquig

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:35 pm

I must say that the spore mine is looking better than what I remembered. Nicely painted too. But I still think that something like 3 blocks, 30 each, of just those things hovering in place, identically... It will look static.

That, quite frankly, is the single reason I haven't done it.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheWade on Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:43 pm

Don,

I'm afraid I have to come down on this one with Scott. Maybe if you threw in some conversion work perhaps, but a unit of those things pretending to be horrors would look dumb.

Sorry.

TheWade

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:17 pm

I say go for it and use the spore mines. However i think there is a way you could convert them to look really sweet. What if you were to make like 2-3 longer tentacles as legs then flip it on its side and give it some kind of mouth. Its difficult to explain what i mean but here is a really quick pic of what I'm thinking. (sorry for the bad pic)

And for the record i think that the GW horrors are gawd awful looking, just my opinion

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:23 pm

I like that idea Dominique!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:48 am

Thanks for the ideas, but there is no way this guy is getting anywhere near greenstuff. That stuff scares me. I've made up my mind and.....Scott wins (kinda). I posted this publicly so he could gloat over a beer.

I AM going to use the Spores as Furies, which I think would be more appropriate. That's final.

I also think I'm going towards the white Daemonette as I think they'll show up better on the table. With all that black, I think the Slaanesh army would be too subdued.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:55 am

Cool, the white is a good choice. I think you should keep them pretty much exactly like the one you painted, the red loincloth and gold metal helps tie it in with the Khorne army you have already while the blue/green hair and claws just look cool and suit the model well.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:04 pm

I've edited the original post as instead of starting a Tzeentch thread I'll just put all Daemon stuff here from now on. The big thing for me is to decide on a colour -- once I do I paint like a madman, but it takes FOREVER for me to decide.

Here's a test model for a Flamer: The only thing I'm not so sure about is the blue fire, I might go green.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ben the kid is back on Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:11 pm

looking great

ben the kid is back

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:05 pm

nice blending Don, good work!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:08 pm

Nice work Don. How are you doing the transitions on the base of the demon?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:15 pm

Actually, Carson said blending and I felt embarrassed as it's nothing but ol' fashioned, entry level dry-brushing.

I would love to be good at blending, but I always get lazy and just go back to dry-brushing.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:21 pm

Well, I thought it was drybrushing. My fear was that it was blending, and if I called it drybrushing you would stab me in the neck with a T-Bone like that shitty movie "Law Abiding Citizen".

Not in any way is that a bad thing, it looks good. Good enough that it looks like it coulda been blended with the super time consuming traditional method. And that's something! So keep on keepin' on.

About the fire? Can I suggest painting the flamers in more or less the same skin colors but vary the flame colors? All tzeentch magic is still named after all those different and super gay fire names right? Like "Blue flames" and stuff? Just work that into your models and it's a good excuse to try out a few different styles!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:34 pm

There's 6 different colours starting from Scab red ending with a touch of white. I takes my drybrushing seriously! As a matter of fact, now that I think of it, if I started blending it might take the same amount of time. Rolling Eyes I really need to stretch my wings, cuz I find a comfort zone and just stay there as 'it's always worked before'. I lurk on Wamp and C'mon, and I see things that I think "Geez, I can do that!", but then I pick up a brush and then just try to compensate for bad technique by putting in a lot of detail and distracting people.

It always reminds me of the analogy that I want to be able to type 'real good!'. Everytime I try, I get frustrated and just start stabbing keys again. Laaaaazy.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:15 am

Can you even remember the last time your army was not at least considered for the best painted award?

I seriously think if you wanna punch through the "glass ceiling" of painting you should try painting a mini that has NOTHING to do with warhammer. Something that has zero preconceptions of what looks right or wrong. I'll toss some random figure in with those horrors I have for you. I insist. If you never get around to painting it I won't be offended. Probably because I'll pick something that I won't get around to painting.

That offer stands to anyone who wants to try something out of the normal range of comfort level for themselves. I can hook you up!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:38 am

You know, it's funny you mention that as you've mentioned it before. I thought of that the other day when a buddy of mine was looking at my old, and I mean 1970's old, D&D figurine collection (Jesus, I'm a geek). I thought of what you said and then I that thought that there might be some cool stuff that you might even be interested in. There's some real weird shit back then -- and it's old school!

I might just pick up an old lead fig and paint while my eyebrows fall out. I'm going to post a picture of a few of them and if you're interested in any I'll bring them up the next time I'm playing someone else other than you. Razz

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:41 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top