My First 2250 Beast Army

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My First 2250 Beast Army

Post  TheWade on Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:31 pm

Alright, so let me start this off by saying I read the Beast book and pretty much decided I was going to stick with Warriors for fun tournaments and maybe bring out my Daemons for hard core tournaments. As much as I tried to stand up to Eric's logic, I couldn't possibly convince myself that the Beasts were going to be worth investing any time or money into. After an evening of talking to Jessop (king cheese) about it, I think I have come up with a list that would be both fun to play and have the opportunity to win a few. I hereby present to you...insert appropriate engine revving and approaching gang of harleys sounds here...

Great Bray Shaman: Level 4, Lore of the Wild, Skull of Rarkos, Chalice of Dark Rain, Extra hand weapon, Tuskgor chariot - 419 points

Bray Shaman: Level 2, Lore of the Wild, Brass Cleaver, Jagged Dagger, Razorgor Chariot - 295 points

Bray Shaman: Level 2, Lore of Beasts, Hagtree Fetish, Tuskgor chariot - 210 points

Bray Shaman: Level 2, Lore of Beasts, Skin of Man, Stone of Spite, Razorgor Chariot - 295 points

Tuskgor Chariot - 80 points

Razorgor Chariot - 145 points

Jabberslythe - 275 points

Total points - 2249

The plan will be as follows. The non character chariots will be deployed in squadrons. Offset from the center will be 1 Tuskgor Chariot with 2 Razorgor Chariots, on the other side will be 3 Tuskgor Chariots and 1 Razorgor. The Jabberslythe will deploy off to one side...the same side that the scouting Razorgor chariot is going to be coming in on. As my final deployment...since characters deploy last...I'll plunk down the squad of character chariots. Turn one...move up and threaten the center, both flanks, and possible the rear with the Jabber and scouting chariot. Use the chalice to prevent too much damage from shooting. Turn two...smash the convoy into the poor guys battle line. Sure, there may be some psych issues, but Razorgors cause fear so should be able to get off charges. All the character chariots are unit strength 5 or 6 so hitting in the flanks takes away ranks. The Jabber is unit strength 5, so it breaks ranks, and so are all the Razorgor chariots. Can't wait to try it out. Tell me what you guys think.

TheWade

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My First 2250 Beast Army

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:23 pm

I think it's a bad list for tournies beacuse if you win, people will hammer you for the gimmick of the all chariot offensive and the overmagic of the list.

Might be fun, it might even work. I just think they're probably a long list of armies you flat out can't beat. Demons (but then again, they're demons) won't get broke. Having an entire army where nothign can take a charge OR a second round of combat is tricky too.

I think you'd get crushed by an opponent with any kind of large flying monster as he eats your characters. And aren't there a lot of those at 2250?

I can't tell you if it's bad or good. My advice is at least one edition too late for you. I can tell you that I don't like it. But it might be fun?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:51 pm

I'd punch you the family jewels if I had to play against you.

Love Carson

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GobbladasSquig on Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:18 pm

I'd wait for the next edition to see what chariots will be like. Other than that, deploying the characters as one squadron sounds like a bad plan since you have the Stone of Spite there...

GobbladasSquig

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheWade on Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:56 pm

Carson - that's why I always wear a cup to Saskatoon tournaments. I could just see your face when some lucky rolling puts 3 Jabberslythes on the table.

Gobbla - he's ambushing over on the other side of the table...definately 18" away from the magic squadron.

Scott - I actually think this list would give Daemons some trouble. Daemon units don't start with a lot of static res, and there typically aren't that many units so there will be plenty of opportunity for combo charges.

Sad that this is the best I could do. Honestly, I can't see myself buying the models necessary to bump my current Beasts up to an actual army.

TheWade

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:00 pm

My army is for sale. Cool

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GobbladasSquig on Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:09 am

TheWade wrote:Gobbla - he's ambushing over on the other side of the table...definately 18" away from the magic squadron.
Sorry about that, shouldn't post stuff in the middle of the night.

Scott - I actually think this list would give Daemons some trouble. Daemon units don't start with a lot of static res, and there typically aren't that many units so there will be plenty of opportunity for combo charges.
On the other hand, daemons have a lot of units that outcharge everything you've got except the jabber. And the rest of the units can quite easily take a couple of chariots (khorne heralds on juggers etc.). But sure, if you play carefully and set up a lot of combo charges...

Which lore were you thinking of using? Are you going to try to Bestial Surge or rather spam magic missiles from death combined with the Fetish?

GobbladasSquig

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:40 pm

I've said it before but I think regular old beast's armies are going to surprise alot of people. I always found that combat power was one thing they always lacked, I was never even scared of minotaur charges. The new rules definitly give a big boost to combat potential.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:10 pm

I've said it before but I think regular old beast's armies are going to surprise alot of people. I always found that combat power was one thing they always lacked, I was never even scared of minotaur charges. The new rules definitly give a big boost to combat potential.

There's no doubt that Mino's will hit harder. Base strength 5 means that Great weapons aren't an auto choice anymore. The problem with the army is still the psychology issues. Panic can be huge.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:14 pm

TheWade wrote:Scott - I actually think this list would give Daemons some trouble. Daemon units don't start with a lot of static res, and there typically aren't that many units so there will be plenty of opportunity for combo charges.

Maybe, but a demon unit probably won't blow up, and they will have MORE static res than the chariots. And fear will be an issue for the chariots that it pertains too.

Of course this is the Nurgle, fully ranked with a herald and full command, guy in me talking. I would spit milk out my nose laughing so hard when you charged me with any amount of chariots. Sigh..... I do miss my invincible units of plaguebearers. They was nice.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheWade on Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:03 pm

Yeah, I was thinking more along the lines of anything in the Daemon list other than Nurgle. But come on...there is nothing in the Beast book period that has a chance against a Nurgle Daemon list.

I imagine, at some point, I'll be putting together a Beast list that's a little more rounded than this chariot monstrosity. In fact, when 8th edition comes out, or the FAQ ruins even the little things I'm taking advantage of here, I'll probably field some sort of well rounded Beast army. Until then though, depending on how cheaply I can acquire them...look forward to facing this at least once or twice. Carson. I'll be wearing that cup...bring it on.

TheWade

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:21 am

I'll bring my sledgehammer from the shop!

Scott's Nurgle army sucked balls......it was so easy to beat.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:12 pm

By the way, the rumour for 8th edition is a return of % based armies.

25% characters is what most people expect.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:49 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top