Nathan's Avatars of War WIP

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Nathan's Avatars of War WIP

Post  nathanr on Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:36 pm

Hey guys, I'm painting this up for a competition over at another Warhammer forum, WAMP. I've only just started putting down the paint so there isn't much to comment on paintwise but let me know what you think anyway and I'll try to keep you up to date on my progress:

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Nathan's Avatars of War WIP

Post  ScottRadom on Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:28 pm

I think the layout is very nice, I would add some texture to the flat facing of plastic from the tree kit. Either a little GS, or just some simple sand.

When the dio is all painted up make sure to add some bushes or a little somma' summpin' at the fron of the dio. I got some cool silfor foliage that I like I can always toss in.

I like it, now get to painting! The wooden block.... painted or going to be stained?

Also make SURE you take it down to canada post before hand to get an approx cost on shipping. I think the block of wood is going to be a mutha for shipping. Make sure on the auction you include an option for local pickup so I can just buy it instead. Or am I listing it for you? If that's the case I'll have to get someone else to bid on it for me, pay them to pay you etc.

I'll make sure to comment on it over at CMON and WAMP as well! Good job bustin' the cherry over on CMON. Do you want me to mention that I know you, or not?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:21 pm

Replied on WAMP too but figured I should here as well.

I will add some sand to the flat part, good call on that. I'll definitely take you up on some of those silfor clump things, not too many though, I want the brass-etch oak leaves to stand out. The wood block will be stained and I'm going to get a stainless steel or brass laser-engraved nameplate made at Pro-touch here in Saskatoon for the front. The winner of the auction will get to pick what they want engraved on the nameplate. The block isn't too heavy but I'll take your advice and do that, unless you want to buy it of course (you might want to see how the painting goes first though). I will be getting you to set up the auction though, I have no experience with E-bay so if you'd do that for me it would be awesome.

I haven't posted much at CMON, a few recent models but I haven't really posted anything in the forums. You can say you know me there if you want, I'm not picky about my friends!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:10 am

Ace set-up on the diorama Nathan. It looks layed-out really we'll.

I'd recommend staining the wood block to finish it up. One thing that pops out at me are the minotaurs veins. Try and spend some extra attention with some washes to emphasize these.

Good work!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:51 am

Here's the latest progress. I'm not convinced about the fur/hair on his back. I haven't done any more work on the skin yet but I plan to.

Let me know what you all think. I still need to do some tinkering with the settings on my camera and maybe get a decent background for my light tent. Right now everything is a bit dark and monochromatic. Anyone know stuff about photography or know of a good link that can tell me what to do?

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:02 pm

Here's the newest progress, I re-did the fur on the back and cut off the banner poles.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:12 pm

furs much better in the latest pick, nice work on the glowing eyes. Might want to try a fine point of yellow in each eye to really draw focus to the face.

good work.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:54 pm

I agree, it's coming along nicely. How did you do the eyes? It's hard to tell in your last post, but in your previous one, the eyes look awesome!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:13 am

The eyes were a happy mistake. I painted them white and then wanted to give them a bit of a red tinge so I grabbed some red wash and it turned out I had way too much on the brush. It slopped all over the place but it actually turned out ok because it gave the glowing look. I bet I couldn't do it again if I tried!

I'm still having trouble with my pictures, these ones the contrast is way too high, the colors are better in this one though. Think somewhere in between the two sets and thats what it looks like in real life! Plus it is quite disheartening to see a mini that is by far my best effort blown up to 5 times actual size. It shows every little error.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:23 am

Plus it is quite disheartening to see a mini that is by far my best effort blown up to 5 times actual size. It shows every little error.

We live in a HD world now. Playboy models complain about the same thing. Very Happy

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:30 am

Ah, but they get photoshopped and airbrushed. Apparently that's frowned upon in the painting community!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:38 pm

I got some work done on the dwarf, the pictures lose some details but the colors are pretty accurate. I still need to add some highlights and shadows to the shoulder armour and I need to decide on how I'm going to finish off the guns.

I also finished off the Beastlord:

I'll go back and give the skulls and stuff some extra attention if I have time.

I think I might have figured out the camera though, these pictures turned out much better than the last few. The dwarf was a bit small for how far away I had the camera so I had to zoom in and crop a bunch on the computer afterward so a lot of detail got lost but I'll try to get that figured out next time.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:12 pm

Nathan, how about your lighting? My pictures always come out yellow, or with a hint of purple. I can never seem to get that clean white look.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:13 am

I'm using a light tent and flourescent bulbs which aren't very yellow. I also have a setting on my camera which allows me to select the white balance which helps a lot. Its also just a lot of trial and error as can be seen with the wildly inconsistant photos by me.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:37 pm

Oooh, the spiral flourescent bulbs, I hadn't thought of that!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:51 pm

I like the cape on the dwarf, good work. The beastman seems to need a bit of a contrasting color somewhere me thinks.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:42 pm

Done! All I need to do now is stain the wood and spray a sealer on it. I might steal a few grass clumps from Scott as well but the painting is finished.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:05 am

Nice stuff Nathan but my strongest crit would be that I think the dwarf's skin needs to go lighter. If you like we can bang this out on the weekend at my place?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:26 am

Hey, cool stuff Nathan, the liitle leaves on the base in the contrasting color is a nice touch. Agree with Scott on the Dwarfs skin.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:47 am

I agree with you both on the skin. I actually tried to highlight it more when I was painting it but it just came out looking pale and dead. I think I probably used the wrong color or something. Maybe I'll pick up a pot of elf flesh and try that.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:36 am

My holy trinity for painting flesh is Vallejo Black red for shading, GW Tallarn Flesh for base, and Vallejo Basic Skin Tone for highlights. I love 'em! I can show you when we get together, and Darren at the Den can order singles now I think.

Alos glazing a little leviathan purple is fun and easy too! I like it anyway.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:13 pm

All done for real now, it should be up for auction soon:

Last edited by nathanr on Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:56 am; edited 2 times in total

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:00 am

Hee, Hee, that Dwarf's dead.....

It looks a touch mono-colour for me, but it is subtle. Still love the Beastlord eyes and excellent basing as you always do. Just drives me nuts at how well you take pictures of your stuff. Keep it up Nathan, with this kind of effort, you'll be teaching Scott soon! Very Happy

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:30 am

Are you kidding there is absolutely no way that dwarf is not going to put that laed shot right between that beastmans eyes. If that doesnt work he still has another long barrel. What is the beastman going to do chop down a tree? Go Dwarf Go! Very nice work!

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:34 am

Thanks guys, the image I was going for is kind of like that scene in Indiana Jones when that swordsman confronts Indy in the market and he just shoots him in the head and keeps going. The dwarf is just out for a stroll, enjoying his cigar when the Beastlord jumps out all mad, swinging his axe around, foaming at the mouth and wanting a fight. The Dwarf just wants to smoke his cigar and get back to the hold for a few pints so he's hoping to finish the fight quickly.

The CMON vote link is here if you feel so inclined:

http://coolminiornot.com/246268

So far its at 7.8 after 30 votes which is a full point above anything I've done in the past!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:01 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top