I love Canada

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I love Canada

Post  GobbladasSquig on Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:49 am

Yesterday I spent half day getting drunk on Black Velvet and listening to Neil Young and I must say I find Canada perhaps the greatest country in the world.

Just wanted to say that. Smile

GobbladasSquig

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: I love Canada

Post  nathanr on Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:40 am

Just wait until next month, the olympics will show Canada at its finest!

edit: I just looked up Black Velvet on Wikipedia and that looks like quite the interesting drink.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:04 pm

Well I have some Crown Royal, Gibson's or 40 Creek for you. Then we can listen to Rush, April Wine, BTO, Bif Naked, 100 other good bands and virtually every good comedian ever.

Other than the weather around here -- greatest country ever.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GobbladasSquig on Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:05 pm

nathanr wrote:Just wait until next month, the olympics will show Canada at its finest!
Yeah, it's always fun to beat you guys in ice hockey and even more so in nice settings. Wink

squalie wrote:Well I have some Crown Royal, Gibson's or 40 Creek for you. Then we can listen to Rush, April Wine, BTO, Bif Naked, 100 other good bands and virtually every good comedian ever.

Other than the weather around here -- greatest country ever.
Oh, Rush comes from Canada? Awesome. I like Leonard Cohen too, ain't he from around there too?

Bad weather? I thought I read from somewhere that Saskatoon is one of most sunny cities in Canada and that it rarely rains. If you mean it's cold, I'm used to it. It's -25 celcius here right now.

GobbladasSquig

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:14 pm

Oh, then you'll fit right in. Very Happy

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ironwoulf on Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:08 pm

Whats with all the old bands. We do have some not to bad beer from Paddockwood, Great West and Rock Creek and if you can get some home made choke cherry wine then your set.

Ironwoulf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:54 pm

I was keeping with the Neil Young theme, but Bob's right, we have a ton of new bands out there making a name.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GobbladasSquig on Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:25 pm

Hmm, don't think I know of any. Though I guess Finland wouldn't be the first place to start conquering the world. We're a lot into metal.

Btw, I'm really digging the name Moose Jaw. Very Happy Is it a real place?

GobbladasSquig

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:31 pm

Yeah, it's always fun to beat you guys in ice hockey and even more so in nice settings.

We just call it hockey here, none of that field hockey crap for us! I think this year will be a much different year for olympic hockey, both the Canadian and American teams are pretty young compared to the senior citizens they usually put on the team. To be honest I'm more looking forward to the skiing events but I'll follow hockey too.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:32 pm

Yeah it is:
Google Map Links

There is also Elbow, Eyebrow, Kandahar and a bunch of other stupidly named places in our province. I think the rule is that a place has to either have a silly native name or a stupid hick name.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:57 pm

RickyDMMontoya wrote:Yeah it is:
Google Map Links

There is also Elbow, Eyebrow, Kandahar and a bunch of other stupidly named places in our province. I think the rule is that a place has to either have a silly native name or a stupid hick name.

Hey! My family runs Eyebrow! I am not kidding! My Grandparents run the post office, Own the General store, and own like 6 houses out of the probably 50 in the village.

I am pretty happy with Canada. For Canadian music I don't think we'll ever be able to top the Headstones. What a truly fantastic rock band. Some of the best times of my life seeing them live. They were very much a touring band and I never once saw a flat show from them.

A little snow and cold ain't too bad. Beats living in Haiti.

I read "The Winter War" a while ago. It was a book about the Finnish defence against the first Soviet invasion in WWII. That's epic cold! Truly remarkable feat that one.

As for drink's of choice, I was brainwashed early by Molson and I drink Canadian pretty much exclusively. I got REALLY hammered last night. I even started a facebook account. That's pretty blasted.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:10 pm

Some of my favourites:

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:03 pm

Facebook?

Please say it ain't so! The world is ending ahhhhhhhhh

For beer its gotta be Kokanee Gold........but a real mans drink is either Crown Royal or Bombay Gin.........Appeltons rum during the week Very Happy

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:24 pm

A little snow and cold ain't too bad. Beats living in Haiti.
I suppose.

Eric, I don't even recognise that liquor. Do you have that flown in? Very Happy

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:30 pm

There is a wine store in Saskatoon that established itself doing custom orders and now they just have stock in weird things that the idiotic liquor stores don't have. They have an amazing beer selection, and when I can I like to try their more interesting things. By far the best beer I have had is the Trappist Rochefort 10. Simply mind boggling.

The Trappist Rochefort 10 is brewed by monks in Belgium that have supported themselves for centuries by brewing. It's 12% ABV.

The Delirium Tremens is also from Belgium, from a family owned brewery and is named for the shakes you get in alcohol detox. 10% ABV.

The Imperial Stout is brewed in England at a brewery that was the official brewery of the royal palace for a long time. Only 7% ABV.

They cost a frigging fortune, but they have tons more flavour and pack the alcohol pretty well... so it's not a bad investment by any means.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GobbladasSquig on Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:02 am

We get some Trappist beer here too, I'm really into Blue and Red Chimay. That pink elephant stuff does look interesting though. Very Happy

Scott wrote:I read "The Winter War" a while ago. It was a book about the Finnish defence against the first Soviet invasion in WWII. That's epic cold! Truly remarkable feat that one.
Well yeah, that is a real fountain of national pride for us. Can't even bear to think what everything would look like had it gone their way though...

GobbladasSquig

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:12 am

I have only tried the Chimay Blanche, and honestly it didn't compare favourably with the Rochefort, Westmalle or Achel Trappists that I have tried.

When you get here we might have to do a tasting.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GobbladasSquig on Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:17 pm

I've heard unflattering descriptions of Blanche too, haven't tried it myself though. But I really dig the other colours. Easy enough for me but still more flavour in one sip than in a barrel of the light lager that most finnish beers are. A bit expensive for a student budget, so most of the time I just go with finnish Karhu.

(yes, that is a 1 liter can)

But yeah, a tasting sounds awesome! Smile

GobbladasSquig

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:20 pm

You guys should drink Whiskey. The f****** and fighting is much better! Twisted Evil

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:28 pm

I will take a rye and coke over a beer any day of the week. I did have some good beers when I was in England last spring though. Still, give me crown royal and I'm a happy man.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GobbladasSquig on Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:44 pm

I'm more than happy to turn the discussion back to whiskeys. Very Happy

I'm still a bit confused. What's an authentic rye? Black Velvet at least was blended stuff. It seems Crown Royal is the thing around there, is it more of a status/label thing or is it just plain pure excellency in a bottle?

GobbladasSquig

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:58 pm

To be truthful, my Preference and also a Canadian Whiskey -- is Gibson's. Now that's a foin drink! If I have a few extra coins in the chest I always buy this: http://www.bcliquorstores.com/product/21949?region=2&location=Kaslo

I have tried a TON of Whiskeys and this is hands down the best I've ever had. You don't have to remortgage your home for it either...

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:02 pm

Well Rye is a type of grain, but in Canada we don't even require that you put actual rye in rye whisky, just as long as it tastes something like it. It's just kind of a name for "Canadian Whisky" now.

Wiser's is probably one of the most identifiable "Canadian" whisky tastes, though it's a little on the cheaper end of things.

Crown Royal is a definite step up past Wisers, but I prefer Canadian Club or Gibson's Finest (although they are pricier).

Never tried Black Velvet myself... The name is a little worrying.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:08 pm

I thought you were talking about the mixed drink black velvet. I just typed it into Google and it came up as half guinness and half champagne. I thought it was a bit wierd in a thread about how you love Canada but whatever! Now that I know it is a whiskey it makes so much more sense! I can't say I've had it either but with an ad like that I might have to give it a shot!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:21 pm

Carson wrote:
but a real mans drink is either Crown Royal or Bombay Gin.........Appeltons rum during the week Very Happy

Nice, all that list need is a Captian Very Happy

GobbladasSquig wrote:Hmm, don't think I know of any. Though I guess Finland wouldn't be the first place to start conquering the world. We're a lot into metal.

What are some of the groups you listen to?
Hey i didn't know that Apocalyptica was from finland Shocked their awesome!

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:01 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top