Games this Friday? - CALLING OUT ANDRE!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Games this Friday? - CALLING OUT ANDRE!

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:08 pm

I have no class on Friday, and I would like to get some games in. Anyone available anytime on that day/night?

Last edited by RickyDMMontoya on Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Games this Friday? - CALLING OUT ANDRE!

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:50 am

I will issue a particular challenge against Andre for this weekend! I want your ladder spot Andre!

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:50 pm

I don't think I can make it, sorry Eric. I might have some free time these next couple of weeks though.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:10 pm

I think i could fit in a game for around 1:00 if you want Eric.

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:14 pm

Could we make it 1:30?

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:20 pm

sure thing 1:30 it is

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:12 pm

I would love to get a game in however I am on call for work this week so I cant

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:07 pm

Dominique's Ogres were simply no match for the blistering array of multiwound weapons and attacks that I had arrayed against him. At the start of my last turn, there were but 3 Ogres left on the table, and at least 5 of my units were in position to charge them.

Massacre for Eric.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:37 pm

I would still like a game against Andre or even Nathan this week.

Damn it is hard to move up the ladder...

Has anyone ever finished in the top two ladder spots that wasn't in the top 4 spots at the start of the league? Maybe we need to change this system.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:53 pm

Actually Eric back in the day LOTS of ladder movement happened. The league champion had to start at the bottom. As a MANY time league champion I often climbed from the bottom to number one. But that was back when I was a league champion. They were happier times. The global economy was good. Women knew their place etc.

However I had thought once the number of active players dropped that a sort of filtering system could be put in place. Every two weeks(ish) anyone who hadn't played a game or issued a challenge would drop one spot, or however many spots if many players beneath them met the criteria. Theory being any inactive players coudl go from 1st place to out of playoff contention after a month of inactivity. One game avery couple of weeks isn't so bad. My thoughts anyway.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:09 pm

The problem is that it gives players an incentive to NOT have games.

Now, the following is purely theoretical and I am not saying anyone in the league would ever do this, but if you have a higher ladder position than your opponent, you have no reason or incentive to play that game. At best, you get the +1 point for ladder battle, but that's nothing compared to losing your position, particularly if you are in one of the top two spots...

I think the entire ladder should be wide open to challenges, so last place can challenge first and additionally, if a lower ranking player issues a challenge, and the challenge is not met within a certain amount of time, then the ladder spot is lost to the lower player.

I really haven't seen much ladder movement in the last 3 leagues or so. Now maybe I haven't been watching much, but I know that I haven't moved many places in like the last 5 leagues...

There has to be a reason for players to get out there and play games and defend their ladder spots. First place should mean something more than "hey that's where I signed up!"

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:29 pm

The ladder was very important when the league had 20 players competing. It gave the guys who could only play a limited number of games a chance to compete in the playoffs vs. the school aged kids who could (and did) manage to rack up like 8 games a week. The goal was to reward participation through the point system, and to try and stabilize that with a reward system for those that could play less games but had to win.

Maybe with the leaner league now the ladder isn't neccessary? I think it worked great back in the day. It certainly worked very well at making sure only the best won the championship (Yes, I'm still talkin' about me baby! .....I miss being a winner SO much......) but maybe there just needs to be another simpler system in place?

I could move this thread but last time I tried it took forever and hurt my head. If you're still interested in talking about this let's start anew thread over somewhere. Surely we can come up with a good idea that fits the bill?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:51 am

I know that I've never decided not to play a game of Warhammer based on the chance of losing my ladder spot. I think the problem is that there are a bunch of people that sign up for the league and then don't play any games outside of tournaments/megabattles etc. I like any of the ideas brought up here, I especially like the one where inactive players lose their ladder spots. I don't think that having an open ladder is a good idea though because that just means the top person on the ladder is going to get a ton of games and nobody else will get any.

I would love to have a game against you sometime Eric, I'll check with my wife and try to figure out a time that works. When are you free this week?

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:59 pm

Any evening except Wed I think.

I don't think that having an open ladder is a good idea though because that just means the top person on the ladder is going to get a ton of games and nobody else will get any.
Then I think the ladder has to represent something else.
Since we already track total points, how about making the ladder represent win/loss record.
That way the top 2 players with the best win/loss % go to playoffs and the top 2 players with the most points (which would represent total games played) would go to playoffs.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:52 pm

Eric I think that's not a bad idea. The only caveat being that a pure win loss record USED to not mean that much as you could amass a TON of win's by playing little kids 'n stuff. Doesn't really apply now though. Might be worth a shot?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:02 pm

Yeah I know, but I think the league has evolved quite a lot in the last 5 years.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:12 pm

Yeah, agree about that. So many of the concerns and issues went away. Though to be fair the league championship prize was once 150$ and runner up 50$ so at that time I did personally worry about some of the things that might have gone on. That's more swag then I feel comfortable handing out for some dude who racked up a ton of wins and stuff playing 12 year old kids who don't even own a rulebook!

Times have changed. The 40k league is EXACTLY where fantasy was about 5 years ago. I would bet you see that side of things prune itself down and rebuild leaner and stronger like fantasy did.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:19 pm

All good ideas.

We tried at times to give away a reg. box to the #1 ladder spot but even that didn't encourage ladder movement and only ended up draining the league pot.

I really like the idea of win loss record determining the first two playoff spots but that would pretty much negate a ladder system unless we expanded the playoffs to include 5 over 4 players.

example: spots 1 and 2 determined by win loss. Spot three determined by position on the ladder. Spots 4 and 5 by total points.

Spots 4 and 5 game it out, winner plays Spot 3, winner plays winner of 1 and 2 for championship.
This would effectively reward win/loss and encourage movement on the ladder.
Spots 4 and 5 would have to play the extra round.

Of course to qualify one would still have to play the required 6 games.

thoughts?

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:24 pm

I would keep the 4 spots for a 2 round playoffs.

Make playoff spots 1 and 2 by win/loss percentage.

Make playoff spots 3 and 4 by total league points.

Spot 1 plays Spot 4.
Spot 2 plays Spot 3.

The winners of those two games play each other in the final.

It would kill the ladder system, making it just a ranking system, but I don't think that's such a bad thing...

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:22 pm

That would help guys that don't live there but TRY to get involved (no names...)

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:58 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top