Chaos in the Old World Boardgame

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Chaos in the Old World Boardgame

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:43 pm

Got this game for christmas. Played it a couple of times, and I have to say that it's the most fun I can concieve of having in 2 hours.

You can only play it with a minimum of 3 players, and a maximum of 4 (because that's all the gods there are). The 3 player minimum is because most of the game isn't spent trying to make yourself win so much as it is spent trying to ensure that your enemies lose. This dynamic would be lost ottally with 2 players and it wouldn't be nearly so interesting.

The method of play is totally unique. You can fight your opponents, but none of the gods except Khorne have a reason to fight unless you are desperately trying to prevent an enemy from accomplishing some scheme.

There are two seperate tracked victory methods: accumulation of victory points which you get by having military control of board locations, and turning your threat wheel which you do by accomplishing god specific goals. The goals really force you to play against your opponents.

The gods units and abilities and cards are totally varied and impossible to compare, but the dynamic of forcing the players to play against each other balances them perfectly. Each game I have played has had one player inches away from victory for several whole turns, while someone else snuck in for the win after successfully blocking the necessary play.

It's utterly brilliant and I can't recommend it more.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Chaos in the Old World Boardgame

Post  squalie on Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:03 pm

I saw this advertised and thought it looked awesome. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the board and pieces. You should bring this to Scott's Sat night.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:32 pm

My only complaint is the stupid cultist figures.

They're two guys back to back, between them is a tall banner pole topped with a chaos icon.

The problem is that the the figures are so small, every banner pole is so thin and pathetic they are all warped and bent, and several of them are already broken...

Poor design there.

Otherwise, the production quality is top notch.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:36 pm

Don, don't be an ass. I own this game! You think I don't buy stuff! I'm hurt! We can give ti a whirl but the 4 playerness of it might be a hinderance.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:37 pm

Every Fantasy flight game I've played I've really enjoyed. ANd on all of them the production value is through the roof. Love FFG.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:41 pm

My apologies, I should have known better! How long would a game take?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:43 pm

Eric says two hours. I'm all for it unless there are more people here than would permit that. I don't like leaving people out. Rock band is different as it's only 5-10 minutes a go, and they're other bigger games for more peeps if need be. We shall see amigo!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:10 am

Well if I bring mine too then we could have two games going if we have 6-8 players.
Or one game and rockband or whatever.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lord_Stash on Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:49 am

I think that game would be super awesome with 4 players who are hard core arrogant in favour of one of the 4 powers!!

me -tzeentch
scott- nurgle

Twisted Evil

Lord_Stash

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:33 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top