Warriors of Chaos review....now that I've played them awhile

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Warriors of Chaos review....now that I've played them awhile

Post  squalie on Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:56 pm

I'm trying to paint up an army that has only a General. I've made armies that have had barely any magic defence and they hold their own. I really like what you're trying here.

And pumping magic means you miss out on a lot of fun units.
I changed it to reflect my views.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:24 pm

Warriors are one of the few army books that can probably get by without any character support in my view. Looking at your list above the 4 special choices are what will cause fits to your opponents. Chaos knights are awesome by themselves but team each of them up with a chariot and thier down right scary.

A warriors army with "just" a chaos lord or even exalted or hell, even a sorcerer will still have more than enough combat threats. that other lists would not come close to without tooled up characters.

I've thought a Giant in a warriors list could be quite good but havn't tried it yet.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:13 pm

I love Giants and have used them for years, but they punch themselves in the face too often. I actually got to realising that no one ever takes Fall over tests as often as they should. Those things have to test if anything happens in combat.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GobbladasSquig on Sun Jan 24, 2010 4:27 pm

Carson wrote:A warriors army with "just" a chaos lord or even exalted or hell, even a sorcerer will still have more than enough combat threats. that other lists would not come close to without tooled up characters.
Exactly. And with the cheap marks of slaanesh and panic re-rolls, leadership isn't an issue either.

I had a game against dark elves today with a 2000 point version of the list (only one chariot, one knight less, no hounds and no tzeentch spawn). The DE had a pretty nasty list, with a supreme sorceress with metal, lvl 2 sorceress with dark lore and Word of Pain, a noble as the general, 20 spears, 2x dark riders with rxb's, 2x harpies, 14 black guard, 5 cold ones, 6 shades and the unsurprising rare selection, a hydra and two RBT. Terrain was also difficult, he had a hill in one corner and facing that was a big open field. The hill was also protected from the side by two forests in his deployment zone. I had no chance but to take my chances and run through the open. It all looked pretty good when I got the first turn and managed to stop his first magic phase when he started it with a one-dice Power of Darkness. He failed and the Black Tongue caused the phase to end. I struggled against his infantry units because if I wasn't in close combat I'd get Spirit of the Forged and if I was in close combat I got a Word of Pain + Transmutation of Lead treatment, which is pretty nasty. Nonetheless I did pretty well, killing the shades, cold one knights, both dark riders, the spears and the hydra (go giant of Slaanesh, go!) in close combat and somehow managed to kill his lvl 2 with a magic missile. But I couldn't take his supreme sorceress because she refused to miscast and passed all panic tests I managed to cause, in the final two turns she made a bucketload of points with metal magic. In the end I lost by 300ish points, so pretty close still.

I'm quite happy with how the list did, it's a real beast in close combat and has a lot of targets for my opponent to deal with. The Black Tongue did exactly what it was supposed to, but I couldn't quite seize the initiative because the sorceresses went hiding in a forest. I think giving my sorcerer a disc and Bloodcurling Roar would help with mage hunting. But on the other hand, a lord level mage with five spells from metal is pretty much the worst possible scenario for the list.

Carson wrote:I've thought a Giant in a warriors list could be quite good but havn't tried it yet.
It's the bomb. Always take MoS. ASFing with attacks like Yell and Bawl is just sick. Thump with Club is also the single best weapon WoC have against star dragons, hydras, treemen and the likes.

GobbladasSquig

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ironwoulf on Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:04 pm

I like using spawn of Slaneesh as units to protect flanks and get in the way, a good throw away unit but I do miss the 3D6 movement. I tend to use smaller infantry units to put more out there for the enemy to worry about. I liked the way my army worked in the Tournamet we had a couple of weeks ago. I had Valkia and a level 1 sorceror for characters.

Ironwoulf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GobbladasSquig on Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:29 am

Hi! Used my warriors in a 22 player tournament this weekend and they did magnificent. I finished overall first with 68/90 battle points and 20/30 army points. Massacred one wood elf army that had eternal guard and a wardancer lord, one relatively soft (although quite heavy on magic) VC army and a hard dark elf army (lvl 4, lvl 2, cauldron, BG, hydra, 8 shades, one block spear warriors, 2 RBT, 2 chariots and a total of 33 repeater crossbows). Won 14-6 a WoC with 2 units of Khorne knights, khorne dragon, khorne BSB on jugger, 2 mara horses and 18 khorne warriors. And in the final game lost 16-4 to lizardmen with a slann in 20ish temple guard, two stegadons with priest and chief respectively, 18 saurus, 3 krox and a bunch of skinks and terradons. The last game was going perfect until his Engine of the Gods decided not to die and to kill 1200ish points with Burning Alignment. Smile

My list was

Sorcerer lord with level 4, daemonic mount, 2 Dispel Scrolls, Infernal Puppet, Enchanted Shield

12 Chaos warriors with shields, FC, Rapturous Standard

11 Chaos warriors with shields, FC, Banner of Wrath

15 Marauders with shields, musician

15 Marauders with flails, musician

5 Marauder horsemen with throwing axes, spears, shields, musician

5 Marauder horsemen with throwing axes, shields, musician

5 Warhounds

6 Chaos knights with standard bearer, musician, Warbanner

2 Chariots

Spawn

Giant
Everything had Mark of Slaanesh except the lvl 4. Second finished an O&G army by a general that came second in the last tournament and first in the one before, third were the WoC with khorne dragon that I won. The lizards I played finished 4th, the dark elves divided 5th with some Brets and my two other opponents were somewhere slightly out of the top 10.

So, no real point in the post other than another glorious day for the warriors! Smile

GobbladasSquig

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:06 am

So you won overall? Nice! And ahppy to hear about a top placing O&G list too!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:01 pm

Good work. The lists you played against sounded pretty nasty. How did the Sorcerer Lord perform for you. I've recently strayed away from that in favour of a chaos lord.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GobbladasSquig on Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:30 am

Weelll, the sorcerer lord was okay for 400ish points, I guess. This is the only one character setup I can imagine taking to a tournament with WoC, and he did quite good considering that. His magic wasn't crucial in any game but relatively helpful in a couple. Heavens re-rolls were nice against Dark elves and Drain life from death took a couple of those khorne knights. I sent the sorcerer into combat once in the tournament, soloing against 10 delf crossbowmen. He killed 4 with rerolls in the first round, didn't break them, whiffed in the second round, lost, broke, outran the elves, rallied, charged again and finally won them with help from warriors and a spawn. Very Happy Infernal puppet did good stuff against VC and lizards.

Unfortunately the last game ruined the sorcerer's otherwise great tournament. In the last couple turns he couldn't get his 8+ spells to succeed with 3 dice and so the Engine of the Gods survived to kill half my army. In the very last round the EotG burned two wounds from him and one group of 5 skinks ran to blowpipe range, shot one poison wound and the sorcerer failed his 1+ armour save... That was the only game where he died.

But yeah, all in all it's a good character setup. Cost-effective. Smile

GobbladasSquig

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:52 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top