Black Orc WIP

Last edited by Carson on Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:42 pm; edited 7 times in total

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Some Pics of my Orcs & Goblins.

Post  ScottRadom on Tue May 27, 2008 8:02 pm

Looking good, but don't use the flash! You killed my eyeballs!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:25 pm

Fixed up some of the pics!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:38 pm

Excellent job on the skin and banner on the BSB

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:41 pm

just saw that I missed one of his nails!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:09 pm

You RETARD! I take back everything nice I ever said about you! It wasn't much so it won't be hard. (that's what she said)

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:47 pm

damn that was harsh!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Luckless Diceman on Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:40 pm

I must say I like your stuff as a matter of fact, there is alot of great projects on the go here.
I noticed you tend to use the checker board pattern a fair bit. Is there any reason behind that pattern. It looks great by the way.

Luckless Diceman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:47 am

Thanks, The checkerboard pattern just kind of came about when I was painting up my Imperials. Its stuck with me eversince.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:42 pm

here is the generic Troll from the skullpass box set. I cut away the goofy dwarf statue and placed one of the giant clubs. GS's some fingers, based it and done. I'm going to try painting this one from a tutorial I saw on CMON.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:55 pm

quick WIP

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:32 pm

I always liked this Troll and I like how yours is turning out.

Do you have the link for the tutorial on Coolmini?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:58 pm

The models are okay but the fingers are just gross. How much time do those digits spend up noses and his own bum? Here's the link Don....

http://www.coolminiornot.com/article/aid/246

As an aside Carson is trying to compete against me with his troll vs. My troll. I am painting a Privateer Press thingy for the local SWAMP Privateer Press contest. I am doing one model and using it to fight two battles!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:59 pm

Unfortunately your finger seems to be what is in focus in your picture so I can't see any real detail on the painting. What I can see is top notch though!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:43 pm

Well there's Mr. Radom! I thought you moved away as you've been pretty quiet lately.

Thanks for the link. What's this SWAMP thingy and where is this Troll?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:32 am

Threadjack alert!

I lost my internet at work. My computer died. It had a bad fan and should only have been run for 1/2 hr intervals but some idiot on CMON pissed me off so I spent about 6hrs of a shift NOT working and flaming this retard. So I lost a day of work and my laptop. Good news it completely melted so I don't have to worry about the boss pulling any kind of log to see my usage rates or anything.

So I still post and stuff but from home I usually have the option of actually painting, or talking about painting. Also the warhammer bug is not strong in my veins as of late. I have really caught on to the painting thing and love what I am learning from painting sites and hope to get back at a large scale warhammer project in the future, it's juts that right now I am learning new stuff and it takes a lot of time to paint a model for me. At least 6 hrs to paint a RnF dude up using thinned paints and such. So warhammer is kind of intimidating to try and put a lot of effort into. Still love the group and the game, but painting is for sure in the driver seat with gaming screaming and shitting in the baby seat in the back.

SWAMP- It's the local painting group. I urge any and all to check out a local place that is trying to up the general painting level of our locale.

http://swamp.quicksand.ca/

and the one I am also a big part of is called WAMP. It's an international one, like CoolMiniOrNot but a little smaller. There is an inordinate amount of crappy innuendo and stuff like that on nay forum, and painting forums are no exception, but if you want to get some of the best advice from the best painters I'd check out WAMP as well. I do get valuable feedback there, and there was arecent wave of real talent that flooded the site as well. You'll also notice some local boys on there. Nathan, Carson, Me, Ryan Glover, Robyn Matesh... however you spell his wierd ass name is there as well.

http://wamp-forum.com/phpBB2/portal.php

lots of online painting comps but unlike our own challenge, which was more or less designed to keep people painting at whatever level, online comps really bring the focus for me down to learning new techniques and applying them on a single mini or whatever. Good times. And 'cause you asked for it.....

Obviously a WIP.

Sorry Carson, suck on that threadjack!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:02 am

Sorry about your laptop, maybe we'll start a collection, get you a Commodore 64 and get you back on track.

It's funny that you mention the painting thing as lately I'm literally the only one playing Warhammer around here -- which isn't easy, although I always win. I've thought lately that maybe I'll just try to improve my painting and if a game happens, it happens. I've been hanging around coolmini lately getting inspired and intimidated all at the same time. I've realised that I do EVERYTHING wrong when it comes to painting and I have a ton of cheating, lazy methods that just get me by

Do you have to be from Saskatoon to join SWAMP, or can a "rural" Moose Javian show up and put something on there?

I love the Dire Troll fig and I just mailed one away the other day for a trade. I was going to use them as Spawn but the lads around here get feisty when you use non-GW figs........

...........Oh ya, nice figs, Carson. Wink

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:12 pm

ScottRadom wrote:
...So I still post and stuff but from home I usually have the option of actually painting, or talking about painting. Also the warhammer bug is not strong in my veins as of late. I have really caught on to the painting thing and love what I am learning from painting sites and hope to get back at a large scale warhammer project in the future, it's juts that right now I am learning new stuff and it takes a lot of time to paint a model for me. At least 6 hrs to paint a RnF dude up using thinned paints and such. So warhammer is kind of intimidating to try and put a lot of effort into. Still love the group and the game, but painting is for sure in the driver seat with gaming screaming and shitting in the baby seat in the back...

The problem with that analogy is that eventually the baby in the back will do something like puke all over the place and you'll have to pull over and deal with it! What I'm trying to say is, once you get all your nice models painted you are going to want to do something with them. Don't forget your roots!

Back on topic (sort of)... Thus far I like Carson's troll better than Scott's, but both have a long way to go. I think once Scott starts adding some colors other than blue then I'll be able to appreciate the subtleties in the skin, but right now it just looks like a whole lot of blue and it is hard to tell what highlights and shadows are painted and which are a result of the lighting so it is a bit confusing. For Carson's troll, the club still looks a bit strange and off-balance, but it kind of suits the troll. Maybe add something to the short side though like a chain or piece of rock or a chain with a piece of rock at the end... I don't know really what it needs, carry on both of you!

Also @ Scott, doubling up on competitions is the lazy man's way! I expect you to man up next month!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:17 pm

Hey Nathan, go easy on Scott. There are guys on this site MUCH cooler than him who have missed a few entries...*cough*, Don Matwe, *cough*, *cough*. Very Happy

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:37 pm

Ok after all the thread-jacking here is a update after glazing the skin and adding a few details

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:52 pm

I THINK it looks cool, but I'm not sure as you take pictures like I do!

Psst! You're beating Scott, but don't tell him...

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:23 pm

Great use of purple on the flesh Carson. At least I think it's purple!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:56 pm

Hey Carson, on WAMP I saw the post where soeone said they didn't like the tummy and the orange. I think that I would either expand the color to the biceps and stuff or lose it. Go for more, or none maybe? The model still works well, but the tummy thing does look questionable since the color is really only visible in one place. Maybe extending it onto the face as well?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:01 pm

I don't think you should get rid of the orange, it gives the model some visual interest but I agree with Scott that it should be found other places on the model. The face would be a good option since you want that to be the focal point of the mini.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:15 pm

yeah I origianlly had it on his arms and face but once I started glazing it disappeared.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:39 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top