Bretonnian Characters

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bretonnian Characters

Post  Patchfur on Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:43 am

I was thinking about heading back toward a magic heavier Brettonian army and thought I would describe a few ideas:

paladin with virtue of confidence and lance of Artois: re roll misses and failed wounds in challenges with killing blow on the charge.

Paladin W/ Grail vow on Pegasus with virtue of heroism. Killing blow vs monsters.

Lord with sword that is +1S D3 wounds vs toughness 5 or greater along with the armour that gives regeneration and perhaps the mantle that prevents killing blow.

Bsb with virtue of never outnumber

paladin with virtue of duty +1 combat resolution

lvl 2 damsel with dispell scroll and some other trinket.

Opinions?

Patchfur

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bretonnian Characters

Post  Patchfur on Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:47 am

Also, lord and bsb go in same lance with four Grail knights. Deploy near the relique to provide rerolls to the stubborn haters.

Patchfur

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:08 am

I like the Silver Lance of the Blessed and Grail Shield on my lord but it is pretty expensive and if you roll poorly on the charge you are pretty much hooped. Also, if you run for some reason you end up with really expensive non-magical equipment.

The virtue of duty is also a good one to put on your BSB. Add a war banner and he gives you +3 to combat resolution.

Where is the "Magic heavy" aspect?

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Patchfur on Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:02 am

The presence of virtues and items at all. I have been using a faith and steel variant that had no virtues or items at all. But it was big and unwieldy and the lances are hard to maneuver.

The numbers are resistant to magic missiles. But not at all to some of the movement or other wierdly corrupting chaos magic.

Also, all those expensive characters are easier to paint!

Patchfur

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:27 pm

Ah, so similar to a dwarf "magic heavy" idea! I tried running a zero magic defense bretonnian army last league but I found myself at the mercy of any army using the lore of beasts with a reasonable amount of power dice. I would have killed for a scroll or extra couple dispel dice at opportune moments. If I dust off the bretonnians again I will definitely take at least one damsel scroll caddy and put her in a unit of grail knights or somewhere else sufficiently safe. The magic resistance (1) she gives to the unit is also a bonus.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:54 pm

I like all of the character options other than the pegasus riding paladin. You really are relying on your opponents cooperation by actually bringing something that he will be effective against. In our game I kept wondering why you didn't charge him in sooner until I realized what he was armed with.

I've always liked the idea of plopping the damsel scroll caddy in with the grail knights. Probably the the safeist place to be on the battlefield.

Brets are one of the few armies that do really well without magic support. Chaos might be able to but havn't tested it out yet.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:14 am

Brets do alright against a conventional (ie: Empire style) magic phase with 2 dispel dice but very few armies actually have that anymore. I found last league that the spells that hurt me the most were the ones that didn't actually do any damage to me but instead messed up my movement or combat phases or gave my opponents extra movement. Then I went up against Joe's summoning Vampires with the lore of beasts and I could do literally nothing as he froze my key units in place and then raised all kinds of undead to misdirect my charges. I don't know if a scroll caddy would have given me much more defense against that but it probably would have helped a bit. I think I might try painting up some grail knights and a damsel for my bret army and use them next league actually.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Patchfur on Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:37 pm

Exactly. Magic that does damage is fine as I've got the numbers and saving throw to carry through and apply the ultimate dispell scroll: four feet of steel through the chest. It's the spells that prevent or delay charges that are the problem - specially the ones that show up right before the triumphant charge that will win the game. That is a terrible spell!

The Grail knights go in harms way. In fact all lances go in harms way and are magnets for nastiness. I am not a fan of some girl in her slip mixing it up with every badass the warhammer world has to offer.

That is for naked dark elf chicks with sticks. Not plain-Jane humans.

Patchfur

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:45 pm

Except that if you put her in a unit of knights she gives them magic resistance (1) and can go in the middle of the second rank. Most of the lore of life spells don't require line of sight so she can still cast and be surrounded by a wall of plate mail.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:52 pm

Patchfur wrote:Exactly. Magic that does damage is fine as I've got the numbers and saving throw to carry through and apply the ultimate dispell scroll: four feet of steel through the chest.

LOL i happen to know one "chest" that all the steel in the world cant harm, and it affects all emienies that can see it with no Armour saving throw allowed. thats when your lady friend would come in hanndy.

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:21 pm

The tomb king magic phase is one of the ones that hurts Brets the most. Not much is faster than Bretonnian cavalry or Pegasus knights but 24"-moving chariot units are nasty. One of the few armies that you can't easily set up charges against.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:32 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top