3,5k O&G for a huge megabattle (pics and report)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

3,5k O&G for a huge megabattle (pics and report)

Post  GobbladasSquig on Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:52 pm

Howdy Canadians! Very Happy How you all doing? I need some help from you guys. We are organizing a megabattle in my home town just before Christmas and I'm going to raise a mighty orc Waaaagh to bash humies and elves big time. The battle will be laid out more or less according to the following. Good vs. Evil, 22500 points on each side, a table of 288"x48" (ie. four normal sized tables linked together), one objective in the middle of each board. The mission is to hold the objectives. To hold one of them, you must have more than twice the US your opponent has inside 8" of it. In the end of each round, your side get 1 point for each objective you control. If the same side is still holding the objective in the next turn, they will recieve 2 points and so on. So one needs to get to the objective quickly and then be able to hold it for as long as possible to rack up the points.

On the good side there will be some 10k points of Empire, 2k of dwarfs, 4k of high elves, 2k of lizards and 4k of wood elves. So, shooting shooting shooting, with quite a share of durable and dangerous big stuff (steam tanks, treemen, stegadons). Also quite an amount of big infantry blocks that can easily swarm the objectives. However, we the bad guys have an impressive set too. 4000 points of vampires, 3k tomb kings, 5k warriors of chaos, 2k daemons, 3k dark elves and 2k ogres. And of course my O&G Waaagh of 3500 points. We will have a lot of monsters, dangerous lord-level wizards and plenty of shock troops. However, depending on how many points the two WoC players want to use on infantry, there is a danger we will be brutally outnumbered on the objectives. With that in mind, I've built this list.

Ulag Burrrb, BO warboss @ 220pts
Shaga’s Screamin’ Sword, Amulet of Protectyness

Rogrog Burrb, BO warboss @ 278pts
Boar, heavy armour, shield
Battleaxe of the Last WAAAGH!!!

Grog Burrb, BO BSB @ 175pts
Boar, heavy armour
Martog’s Best Basha, Warboss Umm’s Best ‘At

Sneaky Bullshit, NG shaman @ 135pts
Level 2
2 Dispel Scrolls

Fink Zappa, NG shaman @ 135pts
Level 2
Staff of Sneaky Stealin’

Fungie da Gob, NG shaman @ 130pts
Level 2
Dispel Scroll, 2 Magic Mushies

------------------------------------------------

30 Orc boyz @ 240pts
Additional choppas, full command

30 Orc big ‘uns @ 385pts
Spears, shields, full command
Gork’s WAAAGH Banner

25 Arrer boyz @ 180pts
Full command

25 Night goblins @ 180pts
Nets, full command, 2 fanatics

Spears, nets, full command, 1 fanatic

5 Wolf riders @ 71pts
Spears, musician

5 Wolf riders @ 71pts
Spears, musician

5 Spider riders @ 71pts
Musician

2 Snotlings @ 40pts
2 Snotlings @ 40pts

---------------------------------------------

30 Black orcs @ 508pts
Shields, full command
Mork’s Spirit Totem

7 Squig hoppers @ 105pts

Orc boar chariot @ 80pts
Orc boar chariot @ 80pts

2 Spear chukkas @ 70pts

-------------------------------------------

Troll @ 40pts

Ninja maneater @ 86pts
Light armour, cathayan longsword

It's huge, it's bulky, it's gonna kick some butt (until someone comes and flanks it). Very Happy The über-hitty warbosses are a real tongue-in-cheek move, which is pretty much what the whole megabattle is about, but especially Shaga's Sword works like a wonder in battles of this scale. Last time we played my Shaga's warboss single handedly beat two treemen and almost got an ancient stegadon too, all in 3 or 4 combat rounds. I know the enemy will most likely lack hitty characters so I'm pretty sure the warbosses won't need a lot of defensive items. So yeah, the strategy is to deploy the orc blocks with the warbosses and the black orcs in an awe-inspiring line with chariots and the troll in between the blocks to attack any eagles or gyrocopters that try to halt my advance. Then possibly Waaagh-move and march me into the objective in the first turn. The maneater will try to hold one flank while the night goblins threaten any flankers by coming in the second wave. My dispel capacity should hold pretty well, and I have the bodies to soak a lot of small missile fire.

The worst case scenario would be a star dragon or two jumping in on my flank, but hopefully then I'll get some assistance from the evil alliance. Not that there is much O&G can do to a star dragon. I don't have enough models, special slots or interest to spam spear chukkas in the scale that it would scare dragons.

That's about it, hope some of you had the endurance to read through it all. Smile Now, what I need from you, is opinions. Is my battle plan plausible? Rush a hundred boyz on the objective and smash everyone's heads in. At least it can't get any orcier than that, right. Very Happy What about my character setup, what would you take?

Thanks in advance for everyone who bothers to answer!

Last edited by GobbladasSquig on Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total

GobbladasSquig

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 3,5k O&G for a huge megabattle (pics and report)

Post  Carson on Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:18 pm

With an infantry line that plans to hold objectives you really need a BattleStandard. Also, since you have two warbosses I'd mount one on a wyvern with shagas and use it to attack anything that threatens your line.

If your using the night goblins to protect your flanks you should max out the fanatics.

Good luck. hey take some pics if you could and give us a report!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GobbladasSquig on Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:57 am

Thanks for the reply Carson!

A do indeed have a BSB, but I guess it's a bit difficult to find. It says BO BSB there on the third character. Now, I did think about the wyvern, but somehow I got the feeling that there will be too many Orb of Thunders in 10k of empire and an anvil of doom too to prevent me from flying. The good guys will also surely pack quite a battery of cannons and I thought it might be best not to give them too many big targets. But I totally agree with you on the fact that a wyvern warboss with Shaga's (and the Battlebrew) would be the one thing that O&G could use to challenge dragons and such.

Yeah, I'm going to consider dropping the costly big 'un status from the spear boyz and getting some more night goblins and fanatics. It could well be worth it. One or two cheap night goblin units to come in the second wave to bring some extra US into the objective area would rock.

Thanks again! Smile

GobbladasSquig

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GobbladasSquig on Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:33 am

Hi again folks! We played the aforementioned megabattle (quite a while ago actually, but I've been busy) and here's some pics and thoughts I promised. Smile I ended up only taking 2,5k because daemons got a bit greedy and wanted another greater daemon. Very Happy This is the list I used.

Rogrog Burrb, BO warboss @ 273pts
Boar, heavy armour, shield
Shaga’s Screamin’ Sword, Collar of Zorga,
Horn of Urgok

Grog Burrb, BO BSB @ 180pts
Boar, heavy armour
Mork’s Spirit Totem

Sneaky Bullshit, NG shaman @ 135pts
Level 2
Staff of Sorcery, Nibbla’s ‘Itty Ring

Fungie da Gob, NG shaman @ 135pts
Level 2
Dispel Scroll, Dispel Scroll

-------------------------------
28 Orc boyz @ 226pts
Spears, shields, full command

25 Arrer boyz @ 170pts
Musician, orc boss

Nets, full command, 2 fanatics

21 Night goblins @ 117pts
Musician, 2 fanatics

Spears, nets, full command, 1 fanatic

5 Wolf riders @ 71pts
Spears, musician

5 Wolf riders @ 71pts
Spears, musician

5 Spider riders @ 71pts
Musician

-------------------------------
2 Spear chukkas @ 70pts

Rock lobba @ 75pts
Bully

23 Black orcs @ 385pts
Shields, full command
Warbanner

Orc boar chariot @ 80pts

------------------------------
Doom diver @ 80pts

My orcs did great, deploying to contest one of the four objectives and facing a very intimidating empire and dwarf force. They had two archlectors on war altars, one steam tank, a huge unit of 20+ knights with Griffon Standard BSB, a warrior priest and a general of empire with Runefang, 30 dwarf warriors with thane and double-US, flagellants, state troops etc etc. Luckily I had some daemons on my left side to help me out. I destroyed the steam tank with war machines, routed the dwarf warriors with my warboss and a unit of boyz, killed the flagellants with fanatics and held the huge knight unit in place long enough for a big unit of chaos knights to flank them. I ended up losing only units of night goblins and I had contested the objective for 2-3 rounds and controlled it for 4-5 rounds. We the baddies ended up winning the battle by 64-7, which is quite a brutal score. Two greater daemons, a couple of screaming skull catapults and hellcannons and some WoC Tzeentch spells did mean stuff to the combined empire armies, completely routing one army and doing extensive damage to the rest. Psychology can be nasty. Razz

And then some pics to round the report off. Smile

Ahem.

Unfortunately I think you might have to wait for the pictures for a while more. I seem to be struggling with making them smaller. Right now they're way too big and heavy to post. I'll figure out something and then post them. Smile

'Squiggedit: Oh, yeah, here are some.

That's a pic from deployment. To speed things up and give a fun twist, we used fog of war by hanging sheets in the middle of the board. That makes deploying 22500 points in 15 minutes possible. Smile

Here's our gang just after deployment. Good guys on the left and baddies on the right. You can see the four monoliths in the middle of the boards.

That's my orcs moving on the objective and facing the forces of light. There's the huge unit of knights right behind the monolith and you can see daemons and chaos knights swinging in from the far left.

Here's another shot with the dwarfs running and the flagellants slaughtered by the fanatics to a single survivor.

GobbladasSquig

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GobbladasSquig on Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:12 am

And here's a couple of pics of my models. They're not too good because my camera is a bit old and I'm actually quite bad with picture management programs and such. Hope you get at least a general view of my army. Smile

GobbladasSquig

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:34 am

Super cool! Thanks for posting that. It's a nice looking army too.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:23 pm

Hey great stuff, thanks for sharing. Mega battles are always entertaining and alot of fun.

How did you game deal with magic and the dice pool. Scott, here, came up with a great system of limiting the power/dispel pool to whats on each table. It worked amazingly well. Speeded up the magic phase while still allowing for some crazy magic happenings.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GobbladasSquig on Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:22 am

We had a system where each side gets one power pool dice for each 2000 points of armies (i.e. 11 in this match) and the same for dispel minus three (just to give casting a chance). So 11 power and 8 dispel. In addition every wizard generates his own dice, these are placed on the table right next to the wizard. So when you want to dispel you can use the 8 pool dice and then the dice of any wizard within 60" of the caster. Scrolls and such can also be used by wizards in a 60" radius. This has so far worked out pretty fine, making even deployment of dispel capacity important and nerfing some of the toughest dispel items (Wand of Wych Elm etc) by allowing their effects only in dispel attempts where the item's bearer uses one or more of his own dice as a part of the attempt.

We also reduced the range of every "affects everyone on the board" and other unlimited range effects, items and spells to 60". And the most fun part is that miscast results also affect 60". So when there's a miscast result in the middle of the board which ends the magic phase, it sucks all the dice in a 60" radius. Razz

It might sound a bit difficult, but it's actually quite simple and requires a lot less measuring than you'd think.

GobbladasSquig

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:58 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top