New Beasts rumours

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: New Beasts rumours

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:35 am

Good to hear from you Dean!

The loss of skirmishing would be really odd. That's sort of the feel to that whole army to me. I could care less about the rest of the rules changes, names of stuff, or whatever, but no skirmishing or the ambushing would seem a wierd thing to ditch. Not like it was an abusive rule prior to this version.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:38 am

RickyDMMontoya wrote:

This model was released! I have one in my pile to do for Dana Madsen. I like the banner itself, the lizard is bad, but not the worst thing ever. I've seen those morrison's do much worse (some of the LotR stuff comes to mind). My vote for worst new models are maybe the plastic ghouls. One or two might have been slick, but the whole regiment of 20 stooped over ghouls looks retarded to me.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Patchfur on Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:08 am

Undefeated until a Knight of the Realm champion hammered a lance into the eyesocket of your battle standard bearer on the last turn of the game Saturday evening!

Your luck went seriously south that last turn.

Patchfur

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:35 pm

Beasts technically do not lose skirmishing, although it's been modified as to what unit (s) get it. I'm telling you right now that if I don't like the new Beasts book I'm going to be getting a bottle of Rum, a hammer and I'll spend a few hours making my army disappear.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:38 pm

squalie wrote: I'm telling you right now that if I don't like the new Beasts book I'm going to be getting a bottle of Rum, a hammer and I'll spend a few hours making my army disappear.

Haha your still a beastmen at heart, drink and smash stuff. Isnt that what the beasts are all about?

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:04 pm

Haha your still a beastmen at heart, drink and smash stuff. Isnt that what the beasts are all about?

Hm, maybe you're right. Well forget about that then! When the new book comes out regardless of how it looks I'll drink Rum, get a hammer and smash other armies!

Thanks for getting me back on track Kuyp!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:16 pm

From Warseer:

I visited my local GW today and found an old colleague running the store as most of the regular staff were off with Manbearpig Flu.

We got on to the conversation of WFB and some of the forthcoming releases...

One of them being Beastmen.

He told me what to expect from the book and confirmed some things I had wondered about:

The Marks:

All exactly the same as WoC.

Special Characters:

Morghur.
Gorthor - allows Beastman Chariots as Core Choices
A special character Doombull - allows Minotaurs as Core Choices
Khazrak.
A special character Bestigor Upgrade.
A special character Centigor Upgrade.

Lords and Heroes:

Beastlord - can ride a Tuskgor or a larger Razorgor. Can have Marks.
Great Bray-Shaman - Can have a herdstone altar. Can have Marks.
Bray-Shaman. Can have Marks.
Doombull - Who doesn't allow Minotaurs as core choices. Can have Marks.
A hero level Beastlord. Can have Marks.
A hero level Doombull. Can have Marks.
Some sort of Beastmaster.
A lord that lets you have as many Bestigor units as you can field.

Core Choices:

Gors - Finally separate from Ungors, apparently Skirmish when not in combat, but then act as a full rank and file unit when in combat. These guys can have a musician. If i'm right about this, this means that these guys have a 360 degree LOS and are at -1 to hit from shooting and can still fight good fights??? Have light armour, can have HW and Shields or Additional HW. Cannot have Marks.

Ungor Skirmishers - Are basically cannon fodder. They have no unit upgrades except a champion. They Skirmish too. Apparently about as nasty as a Goblin, but with better WS and higher movement. Cannot have Marks.

Bestigor - You can only have one unit of these guys per unit of Gors. Str and Toughness 4. Can have Great Weapons, Additional HW or HW and Shields. Come with Heavy Armour. Can have Marks. These guys can hit pretty hard from what I've been told.

Ungor Trackers - Skirmishing scout unit. Braver than a regular Ungor unit. Can throw Javelins.

Chaos Warhounds - As WoC.

Special Choices:

Tuskgor Herd - A unit of Tuskgors led by a Gor. From what I can gather, similar to the Packmaster units in Skaven. They have a special rule called stampede that can backfire if they fail a panic check.

Tuskgor Chariot - Now have two Bestigor riding them. Can have Marks.

Centigor - Can now have Marks.

Minotaurs - As before but now have something similar to the Ogre Kingdoms Bull Charge. No longer have Bloodgreed. Come with 2 HW and can upgrade to GW. Can have Marks.

Rare Choices:

Mammoth - WTF??? A large Mammoth with several Gor/Ungor riding in it. I doubt this one very much.

Tuskgor Cavalry - This sounds awesome. Apparently Bestigor on a Tuskgor with a 2+ save if the riders have shields and they can hit really really hard. Can have Marks.

Chaos Giant - as WoC.

Spawn - as WoC.

Magic Items:

Apparently the Beasts get the worst magic list in the game. No confirmation on what they are though.

Magic Spells:

They get a complete overhaul of the current spell list. They also have their own version of the Lore of Beasts.

New Models:

The entire range except for the Characters, Ungor Trackers, Centigor and Tuskgor Chariot is plastic. PLASTIC MINOTAURS??? I wish

Now to clarify this, I didn't see the book, but this is from a former colleague who I worked with at GW for almost my entire tenure (at least 4 out of the 6 years) and he is has been right about rumours before.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:38 pm

Seems unlikely.

No mention of the repeatedly confirmed: Gorgon, Special Character carrying a Herdstone, Razorgor.
Mentions a bunch of stuff thrown in that hasn't even been hinted at anywhere else --> No one has bothered to mention a frigging Mammoth!?

Grain of salt taken.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:40 pm

I hope its all true as it sounds really cool. I really like the idea of seperating the Gors and Ungors.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheWade on Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:29 pm

So take this with as big a grain of salt as you like, but Paul Ting has been part of playtesting before. I once had a conversation with him about the beasts. According to Paul, there were several play test lists out there. I'd imagine that different batches of rumors represent people's looks at the different lists. Who knows what we're going to get. I'd imagine though that we've definately seen the last of combined herds. I also believe what I've heard about the hounds having different roles. I don't think that you're going to see a lot of marks in the army...I believe they'll be mostly undivided somehow. I base this on the fact that they switched the army's name to simply Beastmen. Seems to me like they're moving away from the Chaos Gods directly controlling the lives of the Beasts. But who knows...if the book is due out in February I'd imagine we'll have some concrete answers by January.

TheWade

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GobbladasSquig on Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:14 am

It's looking pretty bad...

http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78471&d=1262673071

GobbladasSquig

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:23 am

That doesn't look so bad, I think I'll reserve judgement until I am able to see them up close.

Edit: those minotaurs actually remind me of this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nmkj5gq1cQU

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:44 pm

Awesome! GW is making miniatures with myostatin deficiency now!

This:

Plus this:

Equals Minotaurs! Sweet!

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:02 pm

HA HA! Those minotaurs are the worst! I love that weitghlifter pic.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:23 pm

Behold, the PumbaGor!!

http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78498&d=1262701027

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:52 pm

That is unfortunate.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:53 pm

squalie wrote:Behold, the PumbaGor!!

http://www.warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=78498&d=1262701027

AHAHAHAHA!! Nice stuff! Have fun with your crappy models! HAHAHAH!

Thank god I've never been a beast fan. Yikes, these are really something!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:54 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHAA.

Going to be the worst army ever.
Holy fucking hell.

They have shit the bed and gone back to sleep in it this time.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:23 am

To add to the number of stupid sculpting deformities on the awful, awful Minotaurs (as opposed to Chaos Mutation based deformities), what the holy hell is going on with their feet?

They still have feet, but instead of toes they have hooves.

That is the damn dumbest thing I have see. Worse than the current Mino's with straight up regular feet!

Hmm, looks like a cow to me!

I'd rather play with empty bases or paper cut outs instead of those pieces of shit.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:56 am

It doesn't help that the way they've painted them really brings out the muscles, I think a more subdued paint scheme and maybe a bit of chopping and greenstuffing of the feet would go a long way to make them better (or at least tolerable). That razorgor or whatever is still terrible though.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:51 pm

Bunch of stuff from the Herdstone. Fellow who's read the book. I like MOST of it:

Ok, just had a quick 5 minute convo with my mate who's had a 5 minute read thorough the new book.

Herds have split , both ranked up but ungor get the option to skirmish
Unruly has gone
New rule for "herds"- when in combat take a leadership check.
If passed the unit gets hatred, if you roll insane courage you get hatred and frenzy. Didn't seem to be a downside if you failed.

Bestigor capture standards if they simply win a round of combat, get to add it (and any others they capture) to their combat res.

Minotaurs get frenzy if they win a round of combat, for every round they win they get a cumulative extra attack! Minos can only ever pursue or overrun 1d6 (they can now overrun)

Chariots STILL CORE

Centigor, still special not fast cav. No drunken every turn, instead roll a dice at the beginning of the game. Effects range from +2 I, to -1 movement to something else he couldn't remember.

New unit Harpies

New unit. Some kind of jabberwoky thing. Enemy units in 12" take Ld check, for every number they fail by take a wound no armour. seemed to be 5's across the board. If it takes a wound in combat enemy takes a S5 hit. 275 points.

Think he said about a gorgon thing, mainly 6's.

There was a normal giant, then there was a cyclops giant which was basically a giant with only Ld8, but armed with a stone thrower and every (enemy?) wizard within 24" has to pass a leadership check or not be able to cast spells.

That's all I've got for now.

Hopefully I'll be getting to look myself in the next couple of days so more info to come.

Gorgon ( i think it was) looks like a giant minotaur, and eats people

Cygor is a cyclops giant-gor that gets rerolls to hit against undead, daemons (I think) and things with ward saves. Tragically WS2. Stone Thrower.

Jabbersclyth is the jabberwocky thing. Flying, poison, terror, largetarget, 12" tounge attack, strength 5

Doombulls have D3 impact hits, normal minos have 1 each. Each round of combat won gives minos an extra frenzy attack for that combat (lost if combat ends or you lose a round).

Beastlord allows a reroll on the beastial roll when fighting against humans (Empire and Bretonians) which basically means it's likely the unit will get what is effectively eternal hatred. Something to do with insane courage adding in Frenzy to the unit he's with with that in-combat-roll thing

Great Bray Shaman are T5.

The Wild Lore has a spell that summons either a Jabber, Giant, Cygor or Gorgon from a board edge of your choice. Not RIP, but may aswell be from the desription. If the monster takes a wound then the caster takes a T test to see if they take a wound. If the caster dies then the monster disappears.

pretty sure it was only gor and bestigor type stuff (i.e. not the minos or razorgors)

Doombull doesn't seem to make minos core (there maybe a special character that does, I don't know)

Minos are S5 basic (plus the other rules we've mentioned) and have recieved a 15 point price hike, so potential there for lots of S7 or hand weapons for extra attacks at S5. Seem decent.

Razorgor, are a unit like minos. M7 T5 4A, S5 with +1S on the charge. same cost as the new minos. Seem decent.

Harpies are special......bugger....

Bestigor are same stat line, no price change and are now special.....I honestly can't understand that move at all. Seems ridiculous that they have actually made bestigor worse than before?!?! I really hope my mate has missed something but I don't believe he has. (maybe like an awesome banner because them and the BSB are the only ones capable of taking a magic banner)

The core chariots still have a gor and a bestigor on them.

Ambush now is quite different.

To ambush a unit you must have an "equivalent" unit deployed on the board. Have no idea what that means for joined characters etc.

Can ambush from turn one.

No leadership check required, it now works as such --> Roll a dice for the unit ambushing. On a 1, your opponent gets to place it any board edge. 2-3 it doesn't turn up that turn, 4 turns up on the left flank, 5 turns up on the right flank, 6 you get to choose a table edge. Sounds pretty crap to me.

Centigor massive price hike, are now just classed as normal cav, but are still in light armour, don't seem to be any different otherwise except for the drunken changing to roll a dice at the beginning of the game.1-2, +2I, 3-4 -1M but a reroll on the leadership check to gain hatred once in combat, 5-6 stubborn.
Nothing like what I was hoping for to be honest.

5 rare choices. All seem pretty useful.

Giant and spawn stay the same it seemed.

3 more all are the same points and are a bit more expensive than an upgraded helpit abomination. None have any saving throw or regen etc.

Cyclops giant thing. Anti magic in a basket, not only does every wizard within 24"? need to pass a leadership check to cast spell that turn, any they fail to meet the casting value of, count as miscasts?!?! Seems insane to me.
Has a stonethrower that it can move (not march) and shoot with.
Has a standard attack profile (so not a table like a giant) which is 6 S6. T5 5W.

Jabberwocky thing. that 12" leadership check or suffer wounds for how much you fail by is for every unit within 12" but it does need to have los to the jabber thing (think its that way round rather than the jabber needing los to it, but could be wrong). again T5 5W.

Other big thing.
T6 6A S6 killing blow. Can instead of attacking do a single attack that killing blows on a 4+. If it makes a killing blow then it regains d3 wounds.

A few of the better gifts/items.

gift 20points, +1A
gift 15pts, 5+ scaly skin

this one seems pretty insane. 25pts. bound one use only power level 5. All enemy arcane items within 18" are destroyed. The bearer of each item that is destroyed takes d6S4 hits.......ouch to say the least.

Other items that he could remember

GW, reroll missed hits, 40 points
2 handed weapon, +1d3 attacks, if 6 has rolled ignore armour.

however there didn't seem to be ANY ward saves except a 2+ ward against flaming attacks (which also gave the unit a 4+ ward against flaming). There was a light armour which gave regen for 50 points. (obvious combo with those two assuming one's a talisman and ones an armour, you can bet your life it'll be more expensive than a simple 4+ ward which it basically is).

-------------------------------

I'm not particularly happy with most of this. The new rare choices all seem pretty good, the minos and razorgor things both seem very good, but all the old stuff seems pretty dire to me. looks like chariots for core, minos for special.....just like we've had for the last however many years only with a couple of new rare choices tagged on.

Ok, more stuff. (Also, maybe even pictures in a bit, depending on if I'm allowed!)

No Daemon Prince at all.

No marks what so ever, as already mentioned.

Wargors are T5, yes that's a wargor - the hero one. (his stats being 553452438)

Doombull - M6, WS6, BSwhocares?, S6, T5, W5, I5, A5, Ld8, Frenzy, Fear, Bloodgreed (+1 Frenzy if win), D3 Impact hits, and unit gets frenzy if the doombull is (starts frenzied) but doesnt use primal fury

Mutations! - +1 init (cheap), 5+ scaly skin (cheap), armour piercing (cheap), model and unit are stubborn (pricey, but oh so worth it)

4 pages of Items

Minotaurs at mid 50's points wise, same stats as before but 1 less initiative. Option for shields and they do cause 1 impact hit with no min. distance.

Harpies can scout for additional points! (woo)

Magic - Lore of the Wild (7 spells!) 0-6 like the old Tzeentch
0- Bestial Surge - 7+ movement spell, doesn't make you charge though, might be faq'd

1- Viletide - 7+ 5d6 S1 24" magic missles

2 - Devolve, 9+, enemy units within 12" take ld, amount failed = # of wounds with no AS

3 - bray-scream, 10+, one character within 12" makes a breath weapon attack at s3 with no AS (I like this one)

4 - Traitor-kin, 10+, all enemy models within 12" riding a mount of any kind suffer number of attacks = mounts attacks w/ same S. same for monsters & handlers and chariots. no AS bonus for mounted or barding, etc. (Hello Hydras! )

5 - mantle of ghorok, 13+, friendly character within 6", model gains +d6 S and +d6 S (max 10), if 1 or more 6's rolled, model suffers a wound with no saves of any kind (Interesting one, and can be potentially devastating)

6 - Savage dominion, 16+, 'summon' a giant, gorghon or jabberslythe, place at any point on table edge and move as if returning from pursuing an enemy off the table

Minotaurs are S5 (didn't notice that somehow!) and can't be core, not even the SC helps them there.

Cenitgors can be core from the Warhoof guy (mid 100pts) (who looks bloody terrible IMO), has a Unicorn Helmet, hates Welves and MR2.

Wargors are cheaper than current beastlords by 10pts. Beast lords are around 1 MoN (current book price) more expensive, Doombulls are similarly increased in price.

Gors are same price, however the sheild/AHW costs 1 point.

Unors are 1 point more and come with shield, option for spears. Option for cheap SC upgrade.

Ungor raiders are BS3 and armed with Shortbows, 50% more expensive than currently.

All 3 types can ambush, these are the only ones that can, this includes characters.

That Bestial Roll thing I mentioned before is called Primal Fury, though someone may have covered that

Doombulls aren't restricted as before with magic items.

Some magic items -

Ramhorn helm, (costs just over 2 gors worth), 6+ AS that can be combined as normal - for each successful as made, the bearer can make an attack at base strength

(so give a doombull heavy armour, ramhorn, shield and the 5+ scaly skin gift so a 0+ in combat, with 5 (6 with frenzy + bloodgreed) attacks at s6 with 1 extra attack for each save!)
Regen is still going to be a problem for us. There's some Killing Blow, but it's mostly on characters.

Trollhide Armour makes a return, but actually does what it should do this time, costs what you'd expect for regen.

Blade-blunter armour (Heavy) - end of combat phase, d6 for each magic weapon that hit bearer, 2+ weapon now mundane

Pelt of the shadowgave, light armour, -1 to hit for shooting at him or unit (useful!) and -2 to spells cast at unit

Blackened plate, heavy armour, 2+ ward vs flaming, unit has 4+ ward vs flaming

Yeh, no acces to Fire lore, and no flaming attacks seen so far.

There's a pricey killing blow item - (most of yer points) killing blow plus when the character kills a character in a challenge, they become unbreakable and cause terror. This carries onto whatever unit the character was with.

Edit - All yer points item - Their LD is used for your S

We've got that Bonecrusher mace back, this time Stonecrusher, +3S and not a GW. S10 vs Steamtanks, Chariots, Warshrines, Corpse Cart etc.

Nangelder, cause terror and models wounded by this get -1 ld per wound suffered

Hunting spear, spear in cc, single bolt from bolt thrower, may shoot after moving (not marched) and may S&S

Axes of khorgor, two hands, +1A, re-roll missed to hit in cc (Cheaper this time)

Two handed weapon, +d3 attacks and if a 6 is rolled, they ignore armour - rolled at start of combat, until end of phase

Brass cleaver, single bonus attack against each model in btb

Everbleed, every time suffer a wound, on a 6, model suffers another wound with no saves of any kind and keep rolling as long as you keep rolling 6's

Enchanted items -

Shard of the herdstone, place a herstone marker in your deployment zone at beginning, after forces are deployed - all bray-shamans within 6" at start of magic generate 1 extra power dice

Horn of the great hunt (beastlord/wargor), bound level 3, counts a Bestial surge but with a range of 36" - Sweet!

Horn of the first beast (beastlord/wargor), all beastmen within 36" can re-roll failed primal fury

Stone of spite, bound level 5, every arcane item within 18" explodes, causing d6 s4 hits against bearer per item, items are gone. Costs the same as a dispel scroll, one per army.

No more lores.

Gors are LD 7 now.

Can Ambush on turn 1 if lucky.

You need the same unit size and type for a unit to ambush. Then in the remaining moves phases each turn roll a d6

1 - Lose scent, opponent gets to choose table edge

2-3 Roll again next turn

4 - Beasts left side

5 - Beasts right side

6 - Beasts table edge of choice

Drunk is different too

1 roll at start of game

1-2 Sober! +2 Init
3-4 - hangover from hell! re-roll Primal Fury, -1 M
5-6 Drunken Bravado - Stubborn

No LOS needed for jabber- doesn't affect ITP

Giant is as WOC one, no marks

Malagor SC is a flying LV 4 Shaman, gets +1 to cast (cumulative) for each spell if not dispelled for that turn, units within 6" get frenzied from primal fury if rolling a double and passing

Chariots are true core. Cheaper by 5, S4 tuskers but no charge bonus, but potential hatred.

Razor chariots are 65 points more, but mental STW 5's, 1 Razorgor 4A S5, +1 S on charge, 4+Sv

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GobbladasSquig on Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:06 am

I think overall it sounds not as much "beastfail" as was predicted, but nonetheless a pretty big disappointment for many. My friend here in Finland is quite pissed because he feels this is the second time GW ruins his army. First was when mortals were separated from beasts and daemons to form WoC, making his themed nurgle army, that had parts of every "faction" in it, unplayable. He had barely enough beasts to play 1,5k games and now he's slowly been stacking on models to be able to play 2k. He had trolls, dragon ogres and a shaggoth in his army. But now, it seems none of those units made the cut PLUS it seems that there is no possibility to theme the army to any chaos god... He really feels let down by GW. He had to sell his knights and warriors and daemons when WoC came out and now it looks like his going to have to sell all the beasts too.

On the rumors. I think it sounds like essentially a new O&G army with a little sprinkle of GW's Monstermania. Overcrowded special slots, more or less meaningless and unreliable core, wacky but miscast-prone magic and a poorish magic item selection. These two jump out as rock-paper-scissors stuff.

Cyclops giant thing. Anti magic in a basket, not only does every wizard within 24"? need to pass a leadership check to cast spell that turn, any they fail to meet the casting value of, count as miscasts?!?! Seems insane to me.
Has a stonethrower that it can move (not march) and shoot with.
Has a standard attack profile (so not a table like a giant) which is 6 S6. T5 5W.

this one seems pretty insane. 25pts. bound one use only power level 5. All enemy arcane items within 18" are destroyed. The bearer of each item that is destroyed takes d6S4 hits.......ouch to say the least.

GobbladasSquig

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:24 pm

ah, they will be just fine.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lord_Stash on Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:40 pm

I kinda wanted to see gors and bestegors get thier two wounds back (with a rule that keeps multi wound weapons from multiplying combat resolution)

Lord_Stash

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:54 pm

The GW site has close up pics of the new beastmen in the advance order section. I actually think they are quite well done. The doombull I especially like. The new Bestigors are awesome. The minotaurs take me aback at first glance because of the oversized muscles but I think that owes alot to the paintjob.

Should be a very nice army to collect once everything is out.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:31 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top