New Beasts rumours

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New Beasts rumours

Post  Kallidon on Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:40 am

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2009/11/wfb-rumors-beasts-of-chaos.html

When the beasts pop up, I'll have to definitely jump in the league for a season to give them a whirl. I also hope they really decide to redo the look of the minotaurs more towards the Mordheim style, and away from the traditional giant head and hands ones of past..

I didnt see anything about new Dragon Ogres though.. those are some pretty horrible models as well.

Kallidon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New Beasts rumours

Post  Carson on Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:25 pm

I 'm really looking forward to an updated beastmen army. I've always liked them as an army.

New Minotaurs and Dragon Ogres are on the way.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:57 pm

Dragon Ogres are supposed to be removed from the Beasts book, making them a Warriors choice only. The new Dragon Ogre models are supposed to be for a second wave of Warriors stuff, not part of Beasts.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:53 pm

New models:
- Shaman and Centigor special characters
-Gors & Ungors.
- Bestigors.
- Minotaurs. (I've seem them...at least they're better than the metal foot ones)
- Razorgor. Terrible model, supposedly looks like Pumba from the Lion King movie.
- no Dragon Ogres.
Some of the models are getting bashed apart and are said to look ridiculous in some cases (Razordon)

- Doombull is a walking can of whoop ass.
- Gors and Ungors are possibly splitting. Ungors have short bow choice and are on 20mm bases.
- Mino's have sheild option.
- Chariots said to be special and 2 for 1.
- Centigors are core but don't count towards min core.
- New magic lore.
- add more when I can...

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:21 am

The Razorgor is ugly because Aly Morrison most likely sculpted it. Him and Mark Harrison are responsible for the new Beasts line.

Trish and Aly Morrison are, together, responsible for pretty much every single ugly model put out by GW in the last few years. The only decent thing either of them has put out is the Carnosaur model, which is actually rather quite good, and the Hellcannon, which is nice, but some hate.

Some of the ugly crap Aly has done:
The Grail Reliquae
Fell Bats.
Strigoi Vampires
Chaos Ogres
Chaos Furies
Older metal Bloodletters of Khorne
The current retarded Lizardmen Cold Ones
The current retarded Lizardmen Terradons
The retarded Lizardmen Standard Bearer with the giant circular Battle Standard that never got released because it was so retarded:

He's just bad. And his (ex-?)wife has done the Chaos Trolls, Yhettees and pretty much every other ugly piece of shit medium to large sized monster GW has ever released.
I know these idiots were part of the company that existed before Games Workshop and founded Citadel Miniatures, but they need their asses FIRED.

If the Razorgor (what a fucking stupid name - Razordon was stupid enough, and now they just ripped THAT off and added "GOR"! LOL!!! HILARIOUS YOU FUCKING IDIOTS!) is as ugly as people say, then it's just another entry on a list of crap made by these two. They've had their strikes, they're out.

I don't know anything about Mark Harrison, except that he's done all the new INCREDIBLY EXPENSIVE Beasts infantry boxes. 15 for 10 Ungors? That'll be $30CAD. Good luck Beasts players! Hope you have enough models now, because you won't be able to afford any in the future!

People are already calling the book and miniatures "Beastfail" instead of Beastmen.

Last edited by RickyDMMontoya on Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:18 am

You are too negative Eric! There are good things on that lizardman standard bearer, just needs some converting! That big circle thing would look awesome on the back of a stegadon. Some of those other models suck yes, but I take that as a challenge to convert them.

People will always yell "fail" at everything GW puts out because of either the rules or the price or the minis or the magic items (I'm looking at you for that one) but ultimately there is a reason Games Workshop is the leader in the industry. They have good game systems that appeal to a large base of customers which is updated fairly regularly and is of a pretty high quality. They are not best at everything but they are good at everything and are the standard against which all others are measured in the business. If it wasn't for GW I would never have gotten into this hobby. Everything will be fine I'm sure. Yes, the "razorgor" might suck and yes, some of the box sets might be expensive but it isn't a new thing. Warhammer is an expensive hobby. Every once in a while bad sculpts will be made. Whatever. Live with it.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:34 am

Look at the gimpy teeth on that poor standard bearer. Look at his slack pose, weapon down, back hunched. That bastard's given up on life he's so stupid looking.

Look, I'm not saying everything GW has done has been bad. Far from it. I am saying most of the work done by Trish and Aly Morrison has been terrible. Almost without exception. I honestly have no belief that they would still hold their positions with the company if they didn't have the good fortune to get in on the ground floor with Citadel. They're kept around because of who they are and what they owned in the 80's, not because of their dreadful lack of skills.

As to me yelling fail, I think you will find that I am rather even handed with my praise and criticism of the Skaven in the thread you are referring to. Yes the magic items in the Skaven book suck. I think you will find that you'll see no more than 2 or 3 of the items from the list used in any Skaven army. But note that the "Great" part of my post comes first and is more extensive than the "Not Great."

Everything will be fine I'm sure.
This is quite possibly the silliest thing I've read in a long time. Blind fan-boy-ism isn't going to get anyone anywhere. If this Pumba-Gor piece of crap is as ugly as the rumours indicate, and even the semi-official mouthpieces on the forums are calling it a disaster, then it won't sell. Hell, Avian, one of the most respected posters on Warhammer.org.uk and the moderator in charge of rumours on Warseer, is the one who coined the term "Beastfail":
http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=806381#p806381

Criticizing GW for their prices has never been my thing, but these new prices for boxes of 10 Ungors represents a 67% price increase over the current models. Of course it's their prerogative to charge whatever the market will bear, but that does seem a tad excessive (not as excessive as the $50 a box for 10 Goldswords), and I'm not going to shrug it off just because it's "an expensive hobby." If GW wants to play that game then it will force people into the second hand market and they can't win that. None of the other recent plastic kits have been this bad, but the 2009 year end report (http://investor.games-workshop.com/downloads/results/results2009/gw_year_end_09.pdf) had this to say:
By 'better' we mean growing the sales in the business but making sure the cost base works even at last year's low sales numbers.
Other things we have found are:
higher prices - enabling us to respond when costs increase dramatically as the price of tin did last summer; and, very importantly, a better balance between the price of our plastic miniatures and our metal ones - for similar models prices ought to be similar and not less 'because they are plastic'.
GEE! Do you think the low sales numbers had anything to do with the pricing practices?? A plastic model simply is not worth the same as a metal one. GW pricing them the same is pretty silly. They're getting punished for it in sales. They have responded by increasing prices. Does that sound like "everything will be fine?"

I'm going to keep calling things as I see them and not suckle the GW teat. When they do good work, I commend them. When they fail to do good work I will condemn them. Trish and Aly Morrison have, by and large, not done good work. Were it my company, they would be out on their ass. These price increases to try and combat declining sales are, at best, worrying.

EDIT: By the way, neither Gors nor Ungors (which are now separate units) will skirmish in the new book.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:58 pm

Look at the gimpy teeth on that poor standard bearer. Look at his slack pose, weapon down, back hunched. That bastard's given up on life he's so stupid looking.

I think it has all kinds of character! He looks like the fat kid standing on the sidelines of the recess kickball game. He certainly isn't going to be dragging that huge-ass icon into battle so he is forced to stand aside and watch with the dumb look on his face, shoulders slumped because he wants to be bashing heads with his big spikey club but he has to stand there and hold this massive piece of stone and bronze with an obscene amount of skulls tied to it.

As for the rest, honestly I don't really care to argue about it. Its not like we are going to change anything by complaining. I can't stand sites like Warseer because every thread dissolves into a huge bitch-fest of complaints. Somebody posts pictures of a new model, then somebody complains about the sculpt, then somebody complains about the price of that sculpt, then somebody says "it doesn't matter because Chaos Dwarfs aren't ever coming out", and then somebody claims that they have the perfect fix for the magic system. It reads like the comment section on YouTube. If a sculpt sucks bad enough then as you say, people won't buy it and GW will hopefully get the message. Likewise if people stop buying models because they are too expensive then they will hopefully get the message there as well. I'm not a blind fan-boy of GW, I just don't get worked up about all the little things. If they screw up the core rules of the game then I'll get mad but so far I think the game works just fine, hence my earlier "silly" comment.

EDIT: By the way, neither Gors nor Ungors (which are now separate units) will skirmish in the new book.
That is too bad, I always saw the beastmen as an army similar to wood elves, not fighting in rank and file like the more "civilized" races.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

MORE BAD NEWS FOR BEASTS!

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:13 pm

So apparently the word leaking out of GW headquarters now is that Andy Hoare left (quit? fired?) the company in the middle of the project.

Since he was in charge of it, this left the book leaderless and they have scrambled to throw enough in to make it to the deadline.

A shadowy studio insider has said it looks like it is going to the printers "unpolished."

With the number of questions that arise from polished GW works, the thought of an "unpolished" one thrown together after the project lead exits the company midway through is a little frightening...

I hope, for Don and all of our sakes, that this isn't true...

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:01 pm

Now that really would suck. If that is the case I'm sure most Beastman players (and most non-beastmen players) would rather have them push the release date back in order to make sure the book is complete and polished rather than rushed. Video game companies do it all the time, it isn't like they are coming out just before Christmas or anything. Sure it messes with marketing but a bit of shuffling in marketing plans is better than the bad press of a botched army book.

Maybe this is GW's new marketing strategy - with Skaven it was to keep quiet about everything so people would be suprised when they finally did show up, this time it is to make everything sound terrible so that everyone is pleasantly suprised at how they don't suck as bad as everyone thought they would. Fingers crossed!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:39 pm

Everything will be fine.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:53 pm

I predict it will be what it will be. Then when tombkings come out we all can kick the can at that book.

seriously there always is good and bad in every book. As for pricing some things have been overpriced but I've been pleased with the costs of alot of the new kits. Remember what an old box of metal knights cost compared to the new much better plastics.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JoeMisfeldt on Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:16 pm

Carson wrote:Remember what an old box of metal knights cost compared to the new much better plastics.

You mean $100 blood knights vs $30 chaos knights

JoeMisfeldt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:29 am

After what they did to me last Friday those blood knights are STILL too cheap!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:02 pm

blood knights rock...but the GW price on these is retarded.

the old Chaos knights were over 50 and new plastics are around 35 cheers

Joe next time I'm in I want to face those inglorious bastards with my chaos warriors.............oh by the way nay sayers I'm still undefeated.

After hearing all the garbage talk about the WOC I'm gonna repeat that until I loose.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:33 pm

This is easier, follow the link:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4082701&postcount=1

Eric, where did you hear read that Beasts will lose skirmishing? My source has made no mention of that and I think that would be a big thing to mention.

I'm trying to be very upbeat about the release because, ultimately, that's all I'm going to get! Beasts will always be my first choice and I like the uphill battle they give me. I sure don't like the potential price hike -- which I think is absolute bull****, but it won't stop me from buying the models. I have seen the Mino's and I don't think they're that bad. Now I may just be looking at them through rose coloured glasses, but I'm relieved that I can live with them and are actually excited to paint them in a different scheme than what I saw.

I'm still quite fond of the old Chaos Knights, the new ones can be pretty busy.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JoeMisfeldt on Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:00 pm

Carson wrote:Joe next time I'm in I want to face those inglorious bastards with my chaos warriors.............oh by the way nay sayers I'm still undefeated.

Let me know Carson,

There can be only 1

JoeMisfeldt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:21 pm

hey where did you see the pics of the new minos? Also, good to see you back on the board Don.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:59 pm

Awhile ago I defended someone at the herdstone that is privy to a lot of Warhammer info. He pm'd to thank me and it kinda' went from there.

I'll tell you one thing in all honesty; If the new Beasts book isn't that great and no-one wants to play them, I think that's kinda' cool as I'll STILL be only one of a few guys that play Beasts.

Selfish slam-dunk!

On another note: If John Blanche does the art, then we have a real problem. I flippin' haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate!!!! his artwork! It was one of the things that really ticked me off about the Daemons book. " Hey, let's use a bunch of sketches that John drew down at the pub!" I will literally cut out new pictures to glue over top the new book. GAR-RON-TEED.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:22 pm

Agreed. Blanche seems to spend a lot of effort to make his art look crude and unfinished. I hate that sort of shit.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:51 pm

Hey, if you live in England - which is 20 years behind, then I guess that 70-80's art is acceptable. I won't be spoon-fed just because Blanche was there from the beginning. Absolute rubbish <-- British saying tongue . Eric's point about Trish & Aly is in the same vein.

Reminds me of the fanboys that defend 'the prequals' saying it's George and he gets to do what he wants... NOW YOU GOT ME STARTED!!!

p.s. - Eric, I'm really curious as to where you heard skirmishing is out? Can't sleep, can't eat, wife's 'lonely' -- I gotta' know!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:52 pm

It was from Avian on Warhammer.org.uk

He may have been lying, though he doesn't normally.

Only source I've seen it so far.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:00 pm

I'm going to send a pm and try to confirm/deny this. Strangely enough, this would make me more upset than most anything else.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:11 pm

You'd have a lovely army of brown Orcs.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Thanks

Post  Ddodge on Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:07 am

I always enjoy the Ravening hordes site for your summaries of new books, concise info on upcoming armies, the good and bad of list and lores etc. I Find it way easier for me to go here than to go around to warseer, bugmans or whichever. I think it is because you guys have a good sense of fair play as well and are looking to make games challenging for everyone and not just picking up ideas so you can spank all opponents. it is also easier for me to appreciate the post when I have personally seen most of the poster or played the poster some time in the past.
You guys are my version of PVR'ing the internet sites so I only have to spend a short time doing it rather than hours sifting through complete crap.
So thanks, Dean

Ddodge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:07 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top