Scott's Lizardmen Army Blog

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Scott's Lizardmen Army Blog

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:26 pm

Okay, I'm gonna try to start this one up. After an agonizing period of soul searching for 5 minutes I decided that this would be the army that would give me the biggest opportunity to try out some new painting stuff. Minimum metalic paint, which really is a time eater for me, and lots of blending of different colors. So nothing other than starting this WIP area. I looked through my stuff, I was pretty sure I had some lizards laying around but I can only find a Saurus oldblood on a cold one. So I'll assemble that dude up and get ready for later on in the week. I posted a "Wanted" thingy in the appropriate section, if anyone has some stuff to trade, I am in!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Scott's Lizardmen Army Blog

Post  Ironwoulf on Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:53 am

You sold me all your lizard stuff a few years ago, then Jordan took it over and continued the painting. What he has done is great. Uses blue and orange on the big stuff.

Ironwoulf

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:45 pm

Oh yeah, right! I forgot that's where they all went.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:19 am

Now with actual pictures!

Both of these were primarily painted with straight outta the pot washes. Blue (obv) for the skink with Ogryn Flesh for the shield. One layer of blue, one of Devlan mud, and then another couple Blue over a white/black primer. I prime them black all over, then I spray white primer while making a halo direclty over the head of the mini from about a foot away. This helps add a little shadow to the areas I want. The Sauraus is Sepia, Mud, then another couple sepia. I brush on a very few highlights to places like the shield and a little bit of blue on the skink's tail and legs and stuff. After adding details it's about 15min of actual work on each one. a lot longer to let the washes dry in between each step (A half hour to an hour) but if I do those applications at the start and end of a session while working on other stuff I might get an army up and running pretty quick. Though the Jan. Tourny might be pushing it. Maybe the grey army will have to work for that! Fire away any comments. I know it's not top shelf stuff, speed and the "three foot viewing window" are what these are about.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:01 am

That is impressive! I'm liking the Saurus' weapon especially, the green/blue oxidization on the bronze is very well done. I think the Saurus' eyes could use a bit more yellow to make them stand out more but it might not be worth the extra time. Like you said, this is army painting not individual model painting and those little touches tend to cause more headache than they are worth when you are painting 50+ models. That said, you've set a pretty high quality standard for yourself with these two models, it will be a good-looking army when you are done! What is your army going to have?

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:10 am

Thanks Nathan! I am thinking of going with lots (maybe three?) of units of skinks with a pair of Kroxigor each. I think they could be dangerous with the 6" move. One unit of Saurus, maybe a smallish unit of Coldone Cav with a character. Probably two stegadons, cause they're super cool looking and I want the bits in those packs for characters and stuff. But I won't touch any characters or other "fun" stuff to paint until I've got at least 50ish core models done. If I am going to burn out on an army it'll be with the core painting not the fun stuff. Also by then the AoW lizardman might be done, so knock on wood.

As far as saying it's a high standard, it's really, really fast! For the verdigris stuff I just mixed a little swwoping hawk turqouis and some scaly green and watered it down and washed everything a couple times. Zero effort. We're talking like ten seconds a model.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:16 am

Well, it seems as though you have found a very good formula for speed-painting lizardmen. It looks like you've spent a lot more time on them than what you say you have which is pretty much the holy grail of army-painting!

The process you are describing sounds kind of like the thinking man's dipping. I might have to try a variation of it on some of the new dryads.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:00 pm

yup those should look quite nice all ranked up. I'm totally hooked to the new GW washes. I like the fact that you changed the color scheme up between the skink and Saurus.

My thoughts when I first looked over the Lizard book was the potential of the mixed skink/Kroxigor units backed up with a Stegadon. Ranks + Speed +killing power is a winner.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  epengr on Thu Jun 10, 2010 1:52 pm

Hey Scott,

Newb quetion...

What's the cool grass tuft stuff and how did you do it?

Since Scott ditched his lizards, I am now the luck owner of these fine peices. They look awesome!

I used a simular tecnique to paint a Razordon - I'll try to post some pics soon.

Thanks,
-David

ScottRadom wrote:Now with actual pictures!

epengr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:50 pm

Scott's pretty cool that way. Follow him long enough and sometimes you catch stuff falling out of his pockets. Very Happy

I also asked Carson about that grass stuff and he said Scott would tell me the name of it and where to order it -- I just forgot to ask. Embarassed

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:34 pm

Those grass tufts are from a company called "Silfor". They make a shitload of varieties and I ordered from scenery express (google it bitches!) from the states. Shipping was through the roof, duty was a killer, and the stuff is expensive to begin with. Worth it though! ALSO make sure you get some decent glue to glue them onto the bases. I sprung for a tube of zap-a-dap-a-goo II when I ordered my stuff and it's great.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Back to the Lizards

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:20 pm

Okay so I am going to try and put this army together. This time I mean it. I am going to go for a more traditional scheme vs. what I last wanted to accomplish. The goal on these mini's is obviously not perfection, I gotta go for some speed here. So here's how the first one went together...

Basecoat was P3 trollblood base, washed liberally with P3 coal black a couple times. The scales and the shaded areas got some pure black wash a couple time too. Any highlights were trollblood, then mixed with temple guard blue, geared up with some ice yellow to pure ice yellow. Not much work done on the flesh proper, I decided I would only really do any kind of blending on a couple areas. The face/crest thing, shields (and not on the whole thing, just a coupel scales) and the metals a little bit. Everything else is getting minimal attention.

The shield was basecoat of p3 bloodstone washed in mud, then black repeatedly for the bottom half. Highlights are VMC orange brown, then orange brown mixed with elf flesh to pure elf flesh.

That's about it. I plan on doing good work on the centerpiece stuff and characters but for RnF my goal is to have a nice looking army and I will try to get a decent look to it by focusing on the heads of the minis, the shields, and the bases. I think if those three things are done well enough that the army will look strong enough to be decent and score well at any tournies it travels too.

It is a thing though pounding stuff out instead of taking time to accomplish things to a higher level. A different skill for sure. We'll see how they look as a unit.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:21 pm

just from looking at the pics I think I am going to have to pop up the shields and head crest another level. More pure ice yellow on the head and maybe an ivory into the mix for the shields.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:47 pm

Wow, talk about a thread back from the dead!

maybe just the picture, but the teeth still look blue. Very nice rank and file though!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:55 pm

You're right, they do. It's actually a very light grey called deck tan. I may have to go with a reg bone colour though.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:02 pm

A unit like this will look good for sure. Really hit the highlights though to make it pop. I liked the original scheme you had too...which is faster cuz they both look really good

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Galadros on Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:29 pm

Do you go out and acquire a whole army again? Either way, glad you're back rolling dice.

Galadros

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:44 pm

Just a quick note to say "you can go to hell Lizardmen, I never loved you!" 'cause I think the appeal of a dwarf army is stronger. Plus I think I still have a couple painted dwarf armies around here somewhere. I was looking at the shelves and I have a TON of NIB dwarf units and characters so... get fucked lizards!

I'll still hang on to these guys as it does make for a nice fun painting project. I started putting together some of the temple guard mini's and they are very, very nice. I hadn't really worked on any of the newer gen plastic kits before and I am very, very impressed. Unless of course someone wants to make me an offer on some lizard stuff. I have two battalions boxes, a unit of the three flying things, steg, bastilodon, some character minis and three krox's or so.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:34 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top