Winning the Nurgle way?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Winning the Nurgle way?

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:39 pm

So I thundered off to a thrilling 0-1 start for this newest league incarnation. In an effort to try and create a winning list using predominantly Nurgle devotees I need to come up with a solid plan. I am not pleased by the list I am taking currently, but I am fielding as much painted lead as I can as opposed to building the army I envision as being more competitive come dice time. Also the Great Unclean One is just too many points! He is worth a laff from time to time though.

So in the mean time I need to hone up my tabletop practices. My goal for my army is for my big blocks of plaguebearers to hold the center until help can come from the flanks. The units I want to employ as flankers are a single unit of 3 plaguebeasts (300 points! Egad!) and also my nurglings. Nurglings are not hot stuff but they're still pretty durable and hitting the right opponent in the flank with 9-12 poisoned attacks can still turn a combat, especially if they're contending with a block of plaguebearers out the front. While I typically like to use my General for combat and leadership support in the center of the army Demons don't need it. With a BsB and the "Locus of Nurgle" special rules my big blocks will be able to look after themselves which means I can also use my GUO to ram down a flank.

Where the army will fail is if the flanking units get crushed in turn by a strong opposing plan. Bret's, heavy magic and shooting etc. may kill my flankers and leave my tough and chewy center alone! So to combat this and to add some more maneuver and speed to the army I am considering...

-2x5 strong units of furies. I am currently converting up Plague bearer models to fill this roll. Okay, okay I'm just gluing furies wings to their backs but give me a break!
-1x3-4 strong unit of Nurglings in addition to the other 4 base unit of nurglings. Scouting is great for march blocking and counter attacking at key moments!

I can actually pay for all these by dropping the hyper excessive amount of Magic I have in the army. My GUO doesn't need to be a LVL 4, and I can lose the 100 points in demonic gifts he has.

This should break my army down into about a 50/50 mix of center durable units and flanking forces, all with move 6 or better (Except the scouting Nurglings). This is about the ratio I think I need to pull off anything on the table.

Any other thoughts regarding this? It was killing me that we had no posts under the Tactic's section of this board so I thought I would try and get the ball rolling.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Winning the Nurgle way?

Post  squalie on Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:49 pm

I was toying with the idea of writing an article about Beast tactics vs. Nurgle Daemons. Any advice?

Just wondering... Cool

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:34 pm

I think the changes you are talking about are just what your army needs. I don't think that you need a lord-level character at all. A hero-level character in each of your plaguebearer units to give them all regeneration would boost their fighting ability and make them even more resilient while the furies, nurglings and plaguebeasts provide manouverability, speedbumps and hard-hitting flankers respectively. As a whole it will be quite a diverse list with a little of everything that is especially tough to beat in close combat. I don't know enough about the daemons to comment much more than that, but I will say that if it weren't for the scenario and the fact that I only fought half of your army, you wouldn't be 0-1! That said, defending a terrain feature isn't the best scenario to fight with a hit-and-run styled wood elf army!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:15 pm

squalie wrote:I was toying with the idea of writing an article about Beast tactics vs. Nurgle Daemons. Any advice?

Just wondering... Cool

Give it a shot! I'd like to see some beast tactics period.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:23 pm

I was actually poking fun and trying to find a way for you to give me advice on how to beat your army. Very Happy

I wouldn't have a problem writing an article, but as I'm usually drunk when I play, it wouldn't be much of a tactics thread. I am a true Centigor....

My articles would be something like this: "How to remove drink rings from your gaming table!"

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:55 pm

Awesome, those drink rings can indeed be quite annoying. As for Scott, I think your plan is a keeper. If your just going to use the GUO for a flanker then tone him down. Personally I think nurglings are quite good for tying up a flank. Furies I think are must, especailly against shooty armies. Who cares if your glueing wings to plague bearers....they will still look nurgly. Have you had any luck with casting spells from the GUO without any other magic support?

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:58 pm

One thing I found about tactics and army list sections is that most people don't want to give off thier Tech!

Carson

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Newest thoughts...

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:58 pm

Well after playing a couple games over the weekend I ABSOLUTELY need to get my furies put together in a hurry. I got absolutely raped by shooting aginast Rob Gonda's only modest empire artillery. Facing a more shooty opponent I would have been in even more trouble. I need that movement! The beast's of Nurgle have performed fantastically as a flanking force in every game I've used them. So now I got to trim my army to include these units. WOn't be hard with the 160 points of dead skin upgrading my GUO to a Lvl 4 wizard. Teh plot thickens....

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:44 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top