Australia Rules - Dogcon

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Australia Rules - Dogcon

Post  Kallidon on Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:21 pm

Dogcon is the biggest event they host down in Australia so I thought Id post the tournie rules they use. Most of the other tournies on the island tend to use more or less a similar format.

The link to the players pack is below, and has the rules for painting, sportsmanship and everything. I pasted the comp part down below as quick reference. It's pretty long, but I think alot of things that were being talked about.

http://www.irresistibleforce.com.au/catalog/productinfo.aspx?id=2931&cid=110&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1

Army Composition (30 points)
Due to the drawn out process in which army books are released it’s hard for Games Workshop to effectively balance armies across their range. Composition in tournaments is players attempt to introduce some balance back into the game. A continuation of the current tiered scoring system for armies will be used at Dogcon 2010. At Dogcon 2010 all armies start on the following points for an average army:

2.5 pts - Vampire Counts
3pts - Daemons of Chaos, Dark Elves
3.5pts - Wood Elves, Tomb Kings
4pts - High Elves, Empire, Warriors of Chaos, Lizardmen, Skaven, Bretonnians
4.5pts – Chaos Dwarfs, Dwarfs, Dogs of War, Orcs & Goblins
5pts - Ogre Kingdoms, Beasts of Chaos

Before the event starts your army list will be assessed by a panel of experienced tournament players. They will then mark an army equal to or down from the starting value based on their knowledge of composition and the impression of playing against the army.

It's what I expected to see in an average army of this race, 0 points
Just a little bit harder than average, -0.5 points
It’s a list that has taken some optimal choices, -1 point
An over the top and tooled out army list, -2 points

There is no bonus applied to armies deemed to be soft or “comp friendly”. Players, depending on what army they take, will therefore receive a total of between 3 (for being given the maximum penalty for the army) to 30 composition points (no penalties applied at all). For those that claim little or no knowledge as to what makes up an average army we have prepared the following guide. While you may not agree with it in its entirety, as far as we are concerned, this is what we expect to see in an average army at Dogcon, and this is also the guide from which the panel markers will be marking lists against.

What makes an average army?
With respect to the tier system, the main gripe players have is that there’s no clear indication as to what is an average army. Usually these are players who don’t have a lot of tournament experience, though that number is decreasing as more and more players attend tournaments.

In an endeavour to establish some base line guidance for what does or doesn’t make an average army apply the following to your army of choice and see how it applies.

Note: The current tier system has only been reviewed at the 2000-2250 point limits. As points limits go up and down the effectiveness of different army elements change, along with different races. This changes not only which races should be in which tiers, but also what constitutes an average army.

In general, balanced armies capable of competing in all phases of the game are considered average, and also considered more effective across a tournament, as they have the ability to take on all comers. Armies which stack certain phases, be it movement/magic/shooting/combat (both offensive and defensive (high saves)), either across the board or by supporting one or two “death star” elements for these phases, tend to start falling apart on the battlefield, or discourage games which end in a result. Armies that are built to dominate in two of the phases in particular, magic and shooting, are the ones that suffer the most in panel voting. There is an understanding that some armies inherent strengths are based in these two phases of the game, however that is not a reason to go over the top in that phase simply because it is common for your army.

This paragraph is the key point, if you have built an army around one aspect of your races ability, e.g. heavy shooting for Wood Elves, Castle for Dwarves or Plaguebearer bunkers for Daemons then you have not build an average army. This statement is tempered by some races who do not have the capacity to play in all phases but can still provide an average army, e.g. Beasts with shooting, or Dwarves with movement etc.

While competitive, and encouraging variety, your opponent should not be surprised with what your army will hold after being told the race that it is based on, and you as the player should never feel the need to provide an apology when you bring your army out for deployment, if you do then perhaps your army is not average.

As with anything, there are always exceptions, i.e. would 2 scorpions be considered average for Tomb Kings, and how can you produce an average Vampire Counts army without more than ½ the characters casting magic? The intention is to provide guidance not necessarily a tick box approach to constrain army builds.

Guidelines:
Characters
3-4 slots taken up
Around ½ the character slots being dedicated to magicians
Battle Standard Bearer

Note: Not filling your character slots is seen as a concession in most cases, especially if you for go a lord choice.
Units

A mixture of infantry and cavalry and/or chariot units. All cavalry and/or chariots is still considered harder than all infantry, as is a high proportion of chariots and single monsters
Mixtures of high and low armour save units
Command models in some but not all units that can take them
Banners on some but not all units that can take them
Normally 7-11 deployments in the army

Movement
1 march blocker, be it a unit of scouts or a flying unit, or one with special deployment conditions, e.g. miners or way watchers etc.
A couple of fast cavalry/diverters, note: these are not cumulative with the above march blockers
Move distances variable.

Magic
4-6 levels of magic, i.e. 6-8 power dice, 4-5 dispel dice
1 bound item.
2 dispel scrolls
1 magic banner

An expectation that only half to two thirds of spells that could be cast in a round would be direct damage causing. The emphasis is on 2*lvl 2s vs 4 lvl 1 spam casters.

Note: 8 Power dice is a strong magic phase without over doing it, especially if you combine it with a single bound. If you have 10 power dice then having additional bounds and/or ways to produce more power dice is pushing the boundaries. Basically if your phase is difficult to compete with when your opponent has 4-5 dispel dice and 2 scrolls then chances are you are over the top and will get penalised for it in comp voting.

Shooting
2 dedicated infantry shooting units, e.g. archers, black powder, crossbows, about 12 models in size
1 dedicated mounted shooting units, e.g. mounted yeoman, glade riders, pistoleers
At least 1 ranked or combat infantry unit (e.g. Dryads, spearmen, etc) for each shooting unit
2 artillery war machines, e.g. Bolt Thrower, cannon, etc.

Note: The bottom line is that players don’t like removing models turn after turn from copious amounts of shooting. Comp judges are players and will mark accordingly. So don’t over do it. If your army is churning out more than 45 shots a turn, then you have too much shooting (and yes that also counts for Dark Elf armies!). Balance your army with shooting and non-shooting units and you will have a more tactical force and also something that is more enjoyable to play against.

Terror causers
Walking/Driving - one (e.g. Giant, Stegadon, Steam Tank etc)
Non-rank breaking Flyer e.g. Daemon Prince
Weak rank breaking flyer e.g. Hippogriff
Note: A Dragon or Greater Daemon is considered a tough, rank breaking, terror causer and will be marked appropriately. One terror

Kallidon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Australia Rules - Dogcon

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:35 pm

For historical accuracy, here is the link to the last Aussie comp discussion we had:
http://raveninghordes.forumakers.com/general-discussion-f2/aussie-comp-t184.htm

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kallidon on Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:27 pm

Wow, almost a full year save a few weeks. Looks like you guys already the full discussion.. my bad!

I guess at the very least you can see how they altered the rules a bit from last year.

Kallidon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:11 pm

I am quite keen on the system (with minor alterations moving towards a tier system as stated in the tournament thread), but the one unfortunate thing about it is that it really does mean a lot of work for the TO.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:22 pm

It's so tough to do! I am almost of the opinion that we should just relax the standards a little here, only because our core group is so strongly slanted towards good fair play armies anyway. At least, that's the way I feel. As soon as bastardized min/max lists start popping up here again I think it'd be important to adopt somethign to steer us back onto the course must of us agree we should be on. But that DogCon thingy looks like a good place to start if need be.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GobbladasSquig on Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:19 pm

How many points do you get if you strictly follow the guidelines? 30? And how are the army specific scores (2,5-5,0) applied?

I mean, if the difference between an O&G and a DE army that both follow the guidelines is 2,5 points, the system doesn't do anything.

GobbladasSquig

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:24 pm

The score is applied each game. So for a 6 game tournament, your score is multiplied by 6.

So the difference between those two armies would be 15 points, which is probably the equivalent of an extra Massacre for the OnG player.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GobbladasSquig on Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:43 pm

Oh, that makes sense (although the difference is actually 1,5 => 9 points, my mistake). An interesting system in all it's simplicity. Still, it feels a bit unfair for soft vampire lists to take such a beating just because they have good stuff in their book. I might reserve the option to up the basic scores in some circumstances.

GobbladasSquig

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:00 pm

Yeah, I read your example as being Vampire Counts and Ogres for some reason (because they are at the opposite ends of the ladder I suppose), even though I wrote OnG.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:44 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top