A lurking Finn

View previous topic View next topic Go down

A lurking Finn

Post  GobbladasSquig on Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:50 am

Howdy!

I've been lurking in the shadows around here for a while now, and now I thought I should perhaps register and introduce myself. My name is Toni and I'm from Finland. The reason I've ended up here, the Saskatoon gaming group message board, is that I'm planning on doing my student exchange next year in Saskatchewan Uni. It's not certain yet, meaning I haven't gotten the green light from the exchange program yet, but I'm pretty confident I'm going to get it during the winter. I study geophysics, if that rings any bells for somebody. Smile

As you've probably already guessed, I also play Warhammer. 7 or 8 years now, exclusively fantasy and with a number of different armies. In chronological order it's O&G, slaaneshi warriors of chaos, wood elves, high elves and recently I've been building a separate night goblin horde too. I've also been organizing tournaments here in Finland, our in order the seventh medium-sized (~20 players) tournament weekend will be held next weekend.

I'm going to continue being more or less of a lurker here for the next winter and spring, and when my plans get confirmed maybe I'll start participating a bit more. Well, that's about it, if you have any questions please feel free to ask. Smile

GobbladasSquig

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A lurking Finn

Post  nathanr on Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:34 am

Welcome! Hopefully you do manage to make it here next year and in the meantime it will be nice to have your opinions and experience on the forum! I'm sure you will bring a much different perspective to the group.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:19 pm

Very cool! I play a Finnish army in Flames of War, so that's something. Would be cool to have you over here.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:13 pm

Awesome, our first international member cheers

Great to have you aboard. Hopefully you can make it over and join our group. We have a good group of dedicated Fantasy players here.
Throw up some pics of your armies if you can. Would love to see them.

How did come across our site?

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GobbladasSquig on Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:09 pm

Thanks for the warm welcomes, guys! Smile

ScottRadom wrote:Very cool! I play a Finnish army in Flames of War, so that's something.
Flames of War? Is that a WW2 game? So you've got ski troopers and use motti tactics and whatnot? Very Happy Sounds cool.

Carson wrote:Throw up some pics of your armies if you can. Would love to see them.

How did come across our site?
I don't have any pics on my computer right now because sadly enough I don't own a digital camera. But I'll see what I can do, perhaps I'll borrow one from a friend.

I think I just happened to google "Saskatoon warhammer" or something while I was finding out about the city and the university. I found a couple of stores in the area (Dragon's Den or something?). Couldn't believe my luck when I finally stumbled upon an active forum, and one exclusively for Saskatoon gamers. Very Happy You seem to have a very nice gaming community, very much in the same mindset that I am when it comes to gaming, and I'd be really thrilled to be a part of it someday.

GobbladasSquig

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GobbladasSquig on Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:57 am

Hi everybody! Just popped in to say that I've indeed been chosen for exchange. Cool It'll be 5 months next spring, from January to May. So, you can count one new person in for the next Spring league. Wink

GobbladasSquig

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:16 am

Awesome news! We look forward to meeting you in person.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:46 am

Congrats! Looking forward to it.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:05 pm

Hey excellent, it will be great to meet you in person.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GobbladasSquig on Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:29 am

I'm doing some planning for the trip there and there are a couple of options I'd like some better insight on. First of all, I was thinking of leaving right after Christmas and landing first in Toronto for 3-5 nights and more specifically the New Years Eve. It seems I can get some bargain flights to Toronto through Kilroy travels. Now, what I would like your opinion on, is getting from Toronto to Saskatoon. As far as I can see, there are two alternatives.

1) Air Canada / Westjet. Prices seem more or less the same, possibly a bit cheaper with Westjet. Apparently flying is the number one means of transportation in Canada, but it seems you don't have a lot of competition / budget airlines. Or am I missing something? Smile

2) Train. Now this option sounds very interesting, at least to me. It would be a two day trip for something around half of the flights price (with the student package - no meals and just a seat, no bed). But what's nicer than saving a little money is all the scenery and getting a grip of the size of the country. Right now it's my number one alternative because of the experience. What I would like to know is if anyone has taken the train to Toronto and/or back and what were your experiences? And also, as I will be travelling from Jan 1st to 3rd, it will be coldish and possibly snowing a lot, and I'm just interested on how well the trains are running during winter?

Thanks a bunch for any help! Smile

GobbladasSquig

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:40 am

If you're flying then Westjet, Westjet, Westjet, Westjet. Period. I've flown a lot and the difference in Air Canada/Westjet is amazing.

Travelling by train? Geez, I didn't know they still did that and I used to work on one from time to time! If you're new to the country I suppose that would be one way too see it, but I have a feeling that it's less glamorous than it sounds. Very Happy I have a feeling you'll be used to the weather Wink

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:13 pm

Well if you really want to get a sense of scale of our proud nation, take the train. It always amazes me when I realize the difference in scale between here and Europe. When I think Germany can fit into our province of Saskatchewan something like 7 times over it's a real shocker.

But, at least once you hit Manitoba... the scenery is EXACTLY THE SAME FOR A DAY!!! I think once you hit Saskatchewan you'll be amazed ANY place can be so flat. I look forward to meeting you and learning a little about Finland and getting your impression of Canada/Saskatchewan!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GobbladasSquig on Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:44 pm

ScottRadom wrote:When I think Germany can fit into our province of Saskatchewan something like 7 times over it's a real shocker.
I think Germany is a bit bigger than that, but yeah, Canada is huuge. I was shocked to discover Canada has only 3,4 people per km^2. Finland is damn unpopulated, something like 75% of land area is forests, but still we have 16 people per km^2...

Hahah, yesterday I met a girl from Toronto who was doing her master's degree here and she said Saskatoon is the dullest place in Canada. Laughing Of course she had never actually been there. It's quite flat here in Oulu where I'm studying too, you can easily drive 100km in any direction before you come across a real hill. I guess a bigger shock will be the lack of forests, if it really is just prairie as I've heard. Razz

Okay, so Westjet is better. I guess they fly to British Columbia too, I have a good friend who is going there to do her exchange at the same time. I'll be sure to let her know too.

GobbladasSquig

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:05 pm

German land mass.... 357,021 sq. km

Saskatchewan Land Mass... 651,036 sq km.

So I guess you're right! oops! I still find it very hard to associate the sheer size of our country with the other parts of the world.

Oh yeah and about the Toronto thing. Some people seem to not "get" the prairies, Saskatchewan in particular. There may not be a museum every 50 feet or anything, but we've got top notch people and cold beer. Not sure what else there really needs to be.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:09 pm

The train could be cool, but from Toronto to Winnipeg you will only see rock and forest. You'll find in Canada that there is a pretty big cultural divide between Eastern and Western. People from the east and especially Toronto REALLY believe they are the centre of the Universe.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Duke Kristian on Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:29 pm

Well being I recently moved back from Toronto I thought I would add my 2 bits in here. Toronto is awesome, I really liked it there, always something to do, close to the many cool locales.
But Saskatoon is pretty awesome also, one of the many reasons I moved back:)
I regret not going to the GW Battle Bunker in Oakville but there is always another day.

I concur with the lads, pass on the train, the trip from Western Ontario to Saskatoon is really uninspiring. It is great that you decided to come to the UofS and despite the fact that you will have your hands full with your studies, I am sure you will have some Warhammer fun here in toon town.
Welcome.

Duke Kristian

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:31 pm

As everyone else says, don't bother with the train from Toronto, if you really want to take a train ride then take it from Saskatoon to BC (you said your friend was going to be in BC). The first part of the trip will be boring (nothing to see but farmland) but once you hit the mountains in Alberta and BC it more than makes up for it.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ddodge on Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:59 pm

West Jet is definitely the way to go. The train would be better in the summer. Most train schedules try to time Sask for the night portion of the trip for a few reasons. i agree with taking the train out west later. We are going as a family on a train trip through to BC this summer and it will be great.
I'm actually in Regina, which is 250km s east of Saskatoon- I think it might be the most boring place in Canada- if we are talking about Warhammer anyway.

Ddodge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheWade on Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:14 pm

Hey, if you're in Regina and want to play Warhammer hook up with squalie in Moose Jaw. He's just about the coolest guy in Saskatchewan...well, third place after Carson and Scott isn't bad.

TheWade

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Ddodge on Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:19 pm

oh I know all about Mr.Squalie....
I do believe he is up here next weekend for some gaming.

Ddodge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:02 am

Dean, you're calling Regina the most boring warhammer place?! I actually have to drive to see you guys don't forget. And yes, I'm coming to the tourny -- should be fun.

Wade, you better start lying and say I'm first real quick, or you'll go cold and hungry at my house! Very Happy

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:17 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top