Characters

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Characters

Post  Mhael on Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:30 pm

Is it cool to use any special fig in your army book of the current edition or do you have to ask your opponent if they don't care, also I guess for league play can I use my anvil of doom anytime or only at the tournaments

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Characters

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:33 pm

If it's in the army book, it's your choice. No more of the ask your opponents stuff in new books. Which is awesome.

Special Characters are a little more balanced then they used to be, and they pay a points premium (I think) to make their way into your army. Use 'em!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:43 pm

This is the list I have been testing out for awhile.
Thorek Ironbow and Kraggi with anvil of doom
2 units of ten thunderers (one switches for Gyrocoptor option)
15 warriors full command with shields
15 Longbeards full command with shields
15 Ironbreakers full command with shields
15 hammerers full command
3 giant slayers with 3 troll slayers
2 bolt throwers with engineer
Flame cannon
So far I have beat ogres twice but would like some other challenges if anyone has time for a game

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:49 pm

Also I have an alternate list
Lord Alrik Rey Enano with shieldbearers
Thane Caston Stonesigil BSB
Enano's Clan Longbeards 19 full command with shields
Enano's Bodyguard Hammerers 18 full command with shields
2 units Enano's Thunderers full command with shields
Thane Tubold Surefoot
Tubold's Ironbreakers 19 full command with shields
2 giant slayers with 3 troll slayers
2 bolt thrower with engineer

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:35 pm

I prefer your second list to the first actually. One question, why the slayers? That tiny unit of 5 is not going to survive a charge from anything and magic or shooting will kill them even faster. For the same amount of points you could almost buy 2 more bolt throwers or a cannon.

With the first list I'd also drop the slayers and add a battle standard thane. That or bump up all your infantry units to 20 (or at least the longbeards and ironbreakers). You won't have enough points for that just by dropping the slayers but you'll be close.

I love slayers too and I wish I could find a way to make them an effective unit in my dwarf army but the sad fact is that they just aren't worth it. The only way to make them remotely useful is to take a whole bunch of them so that they can die by the handful.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:59 pm

The slayers I take to protect war machines, help out thunderers or anvil of doom. Plus they are cool models but a luxury to the actual list.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:46 pm

Why don't you just use the thunderers to protect the warmachines? Give them shields for a 4+ save in close combat, give them a musician and even a standard and you have 2 ranks of fairly solid dwarf infantry with a dangerous stand and shoot reaction. Plus dwarf war machines are no pushovers in close combat either, especially with an engineer.

I guess that like you say, the slayers aren't really costing you a lot of points so as long as you don't expect big things out of them you aren't really hurting your list too much by taking them. I'd spend my points differently but that is the beauty of warhammer, no two lists are ever the same! If nothing else they add some character and a bit of fun to the army.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:15 pm

The second list is much better. Dwarfs really shine with the rank and numbers bonus. Nathan had good suggestions with the slayers. Hey, I love slayers too and have always tried to find a way for them to work in a list............but it just does not happen.

But, now that we are up to 2200 there probably a luxury you can live with.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 7:02 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top