Ravening hordes 3rd painting challenge

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ravening hordes 3rd painting challenge

Post  Kuyp on Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:49 pm

okay so for the third time it will only be a single model, any type may it be a character, monster, or even a regular trooper. pretty easy so lets add some challenge to it. the model must have some form of "extra" work done to it, put it on a fancy base or add something to it, get creative and come up with something special that you would be proud to show off!

oh yeah and one last small detail. the model must be from (or can be added like DOW) the army you will be playing in the next league. we want to see the work in person at some point in time, well i would like to Smile

on a side note we should try to get some more WIP pics and chat on painting/ modeling techniques as well, seeing as that was the true purpose behind theses challenges Razz

contest ends the 1st of November

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ravening hordes 3rd painting challenge

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:59 am

Good one! I can do a single model for sure!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:30 am

Cool idea Dominique, I haven't decided what I'm going to take next league but it will be either wood elves or dwarfs. I'll paint up a branchwraith if I go with wood elves and I'll do a bolt thrower if I take dwarfs.

I want to make some scenic bases for all my dwarf war machines, does anyone have 60mm round bases that I can buy/trade for?

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:03 am

nathanr wrote:Cool idea Dominique, I haven't decided what I'm going to take next league but it will be either wood elves or dwarfs. I'll paint up a branchwraith if I go with wood elves and I'll do a bolt thrower if I take dwarfs.

I want to make some scenic bases for all my dwarf war machines, does anyone have 60mm round bases that I can buy/trade for?

No, but you might wanna post on the 40k forum. Also I know they can be ordered from Darren.

I don't know what I am gonna paint, but I got a bunch of Avatars of War models arriving from the Den. I dunno if I qualify for the next league component but I'll prbably paint up their new Chaos Marauder Champ or sumpin'. Love AoW stuff.

So I might even get DQ'd! Shameful!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:52 am

I'm almost depressed with how much time I HAVEN'T had for Warhammer lately, but a single fig seems doable indeed.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:24 am

I don't know what I am gonna paint, but I got a bunch of Avatars of War models arriving from the Den. I dunno if I qualify for the next league component but I'll prbably paint up their new Chaos Marauder Champ or sumpin'. Love AoW stuff.

So I might even get DQ'd! Shameful!

Bah, you never play games anymore anyway! Just say you'll be taking warriors of chaos next league and paint it up!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kallidon on Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:32 am

I've got a bunch of the round 60 mm bases.

For my empire warmachines though, I mae little dioramas for them as well.. but I jsut out square pieces of thick plasticard.. and it worked perfectly.

This way, you can have nice little dioramas.. but you wont be teased by your fellow fantasy fellas for having round bases! Not like Stash.. who I believe will be playing a full Daemon army in the next 40k league.. with all his square based daemons.. !!!!

If you still want them though, I can definitely throw a few our way... no charge.

Kallidon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:57 am

I will take 10 if you will part with that many but I really want at least 5. I can pay for them if you want and I'll PM you to figure out where and when to make the trade. Thanks!

Here's what I want them for:
I'm going to be putting the war machines on the round bases and then making an 80mm x 100mm (80mm would be the crew's frontage in combat) rectangular base with a 60mm round depression in the middle that the war machine can slot into. That way I get the visual appeal of a scenic base while still being able to rotate the gun to face it's target or I can still place the war machine without the scenic base if I want to fit it into a tighter space than the base would allow. The crew will also get slotted into the base so I can remove them as casualties or use them seperately as needed.

Sorry for the thread-jacking!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kallidon on Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:28 pm

Ahh, that make sense.. and a good idea! I pm'ed you, Ill see how many I have tonight and let you know.

Kallidon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:58 pm

So what are peeps painting for this? I was gonna do a warrior priest, but instead I think I am gonna paint up a forest goblin shaman an eBuddy of mine made up. It's a wierd little mini, with a frog as a hat. Dude looks total bat shit crazy.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:21 pm

i came up with my idea today and started working on it already
One big ole nasty Rinox rider, yup I'm going to try out ogres for the next league.
ill have some pics up soon of the starting of the model.

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:31 pm

i came up with my idea today and started working on it already
One big ole nasty Rinox rider, yup I'm going to try out ogres for the next league.
ill have some pics up soon of the starting of the model.

Awesome model, so give it your best!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:50 am

Is it the forge world model or your putty masterpiece?

I'm gonna paint up a simple chaos marauder with a big piece of axe and timber

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:30 pm

Well my AoW order came in, so I think I will put together one of the Warrior priest models from that range to start an Empire army. I was reading an awesome comic with lots of knights and heraldry and shit, and made me think Bret's, but I just can't bring myself to do that. To many memories of getting stampede-eld and running into 87% ward saves!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:34 am

I haven't started on mine yet, I've been busy though. I have greenstuffed 77 bases for my dwarf army so far, I just have the war machines to go but I'm going to need more greenstuff before I can continue. After that I need to add some sand then prime and paint, then attach the dwarfs.

My entry is going to be a bolt thrower on a big scenic base.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:45 pm

So any thoughts on what you Empire vision is composed of?

Nathan, I'm just completing the "pimping" of my Empire army. I'm happy I did it but it was more work than I thought.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:50 pm

My Empire army would be at least three unit's of handgunners with hochland long rifles. Blocks of infantry with small detachments of swordsmen, unit of knights, and some fast cav. Don't really know. It would be made up of whatever I liked to paint first, and game second. I didn't get my AoW warrior priest so I might paint that Shaman mini up instead. Or some more AoW O&G. I'm still torn! As I love painting orcs, and I have a complete new army already bought and paid for. She's a tough call! Maybe I'll paint up the Black orc AoW dude and see how it feels.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:45 pm

So it looks like I will paint up a forest goblin shaman. It's a funny little fig from a dude over on CMON so I look forward to painting it. I think I am the first person in North America to get one! I'll post a pic once it's primed.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:38 pm

Did this guy up. Might enter something else though.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:00 am

awesome base and colors.....weird fig though. Is that a frog on its head? Great highlighting on the "frogs" under mouth and good eyes on the Goblin. great work

hey you missed the braclet on the arm holding the totem

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:07 am

Cool model and good paint job.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:42 am

Yeah I missed the bracelet! D'oh! I'll get to him today. It was super fun to crank out a dude in one session. 2.5 hrs from primer to picture! But I missed the bracelet.

I like the fgig because it captures the stuff I like about O&G. I mean,what spells batshit crazy more than a frog on your head?

I've been painting an Empire Halberdier this morning and it's okay, but painting it makes me want to paint Orcs again. So I might just plunk away on some more O&G. Dunno.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:48 pm

How is everyone doing on this? I just did a 180 and decided to take wood elves this league so i'll be painting Orion King of the Woods. I've had the model for a long time but I've never gotten around to painting it. I'm going to try starting on it this evening and hopefully I'll have some WIP's up by the weekend.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:09 pm

I am working on a dragon slayer conversion, I got it all modeled up and some base painting done. Should have a pic up by the weekend hopefully.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:13 am

The first of November has come and gone, are all the entries in? I vote that we give everyone until Midnight Friday to post pictures (surely everyone has painted one mini for their army and if you haven't just paint it between now and friday) and then we vote. Bob, I saw that you had painted up Valkia and Wulfric. You should post one of them! Dom, post a pic of your rhinox rider!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:12 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top