Anvil of Doom

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Anvil of Doom

Post  Mhael on Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:51 pm

Anyone who has played dwarfs what is your opinion of using the Anvil or playing against it. Also is Thorek worth the 505 in a 2000pt list. I really like the 7 dispel dice, 2 for a runelord, one for the anvil and four for the army.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Anvil of Doom

Post  ben the kid is back on Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:12 am

its one of those things that you use, its fun its risky but in my opinion 3 units of 20 dwarf warriors would be far more effective, but if you are tight on cash and need to get as many points as possible with the least amount of money spent the anvil is the way two go, if its just a recreaatinal game go for it, but if you rally wanna win stick with basic units.

ben the kid is back

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:09 am

I think Ben gave you some good advice. I have never fielded it, as I thought so many points in a completey static position was a poor way to play. I know as a dwarf that may sound like an odd take on it as by nature the army is fairly static. I'd rather field a unit of reg or elite comabt troops and a war machine or some more thuderers for the points.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:30 am

The problem I have had is troops regular or elite have been chewed up and spit out with not a single dwarf left standing. Taking just a runelord over Thorek with the anvil is bad and only saves you about 35 points. Thorek rolls ancient power on 3 with Kraggi lets him reroll failed strikes. The one not only does 2d6 magic strength 4 but halves that units movement or prevents flyers from flying letting my balistae and thunderers take out the tougher units before they cross the half line, I still saved enough points for some tough units but tactically I would have to sit and let armies come to me. Also it gets me 7 dispel dice which is vastly important against the uber magic I seem to contend with. I have not yet had it blow up on trial games which I am sure will suck but it sure adds alot of power, mobility and I don't have to worry about fear and terror protection for all my units. I guess to each their own I will use it some more and decide if it holds the answer to my tactics. Mhael

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:48 am

Dwarfs getting chewed up and spit out?!?!?! Who the hell is doing that?

If magic is the source of your woes I would reccomend just using rune of balance and some spellbreaking runes vs. the anvil. If wizards are shooting you.... shoot them in the FACE! Bolt Throwers w/engineers and a couple units of missile armed dwarfs should have YOU on the chewing up and spitting out side of things.

Mind you this is all 6th ed. advice. My 7th ed. experience is rather limited.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:10 pm

The Anvil may be static, but it lets the Dwarf army itself become much more mobile.

Being able to move a unit (or D3), or being able to halve the movement of an enemy unit (or D3) is amazing. How many games has Van Hel's won? This is undispellable Van Hel's on steroids for Dwarfs.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:54 pm

That's a good point Eric, I juts think for the points I'd rather stick to the more traditional Dwarf approach of shoot 'em up and fight what's left. In the 7th ed. era I would still very much worry about a flying monster or even counter battery fire creaming my 500 point investment. But there's only one way to find out if it wokrs for you and your style, so give it a go.

One consideration I had at the time when I sort fo mentally deleted it from my army book was the threat of it looking "cheesy" just to take it. I think that stigma is pretty safely gone in the new era of armies though.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:35 am

I don't take it very often and even less in 2000 point games. It is too many points and I love my dwarf lords too much to take a rune-lord instead. That said, I have heard many dwarf players say that they always take it so maybe I have been missing out on something. The few times that I did take the anvil made me appreciate how mobile the dwarf army can be, especially if you take the special character. Making D3 dwarf units able to move 12" in a turn means that you can even get some first charges off! A unit of charging great-weapon wielding hammerers or longbeards is a very scary sight for an opponent.

My advice, take it and see what happens!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:23 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top