Post  nathanr on Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:42 pm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32626135/ns/business-media_biz/

I can't see this being a good thing.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Disney buys Marvel!

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:37 pm

Yeah what a shit show. If anyone can wreck the Marvel IP, it's Disney.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:15 pm

Wow. I have been a fan of marvel since I was a wee lad. This eats shit. Very unsettling.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kallidon on Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:06 pm

Warner bought DC years ago though.. and they've done good things for the company.

I can see how it could be perceived as a bad thing, but if anything it means more comic based stuff will be produced. Marvel has pumped out a few gems of movies in the last little bit, but they've definitely spewed out more crap than good. Disney does have some more adult type of film companies theuy own, so if your worried about potential comic movies not being violent enough or to kidified, they've definitely produced some action filled movies.

Now, if they would pump money into making a Moon Knight movie, Id be sold in a jiff...

Ill have to hold off full judgement until I see the first few things they pump out. It will be awhile before the full deal can be realized as Marvel has a bunch of pre existing deal and contract in place that have to be fulfilled.. but Im crossing my fingers for the best.

Kallidon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:45 pm

Marvel has pumped out a few gems of movies in the last little bit, but they've definitely spewed out more crap than good.

See, this is where I think you're wrong.

Fox owned the rights to make Fantastic Four, X-Men, Wolverine, Magneto, etc. It's Fox that's made the real stinkers in the last while. Marvel has actually repeatedly tried to buy the movie rights back from Fox, but Fox has declined to negotiate.

Marvel has only recently created their own in-house production company, called Marvel Studios. It's Marvel Studios that has been behind Iron Man and Hulk, and it's Marvel Studios that has begun working on Avengers, Thor and Iron Man 2.

It seems to me that Marvel has finally figured out how to make the best use of their intellectual property and how to make films of its own characters - something that outside agents, like Disney have no idea how to do.

I think that if Disney interferes at all in wat Marvel Studios is doing, then those movies are in serious trouble. Also if Disney interferes with the publishing of the comics themselves then the comics are in trouble. I don't trust Disney with some of the more mature themes that have become established in comics.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kallidon on Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:55 pm

Ok, sure.. getting technical, the co-produced movies with Fox have been the really bad ones.. but Marvel shouldn't of gotten tied up with them to begin with. They needed the money I guess.. but ugh.. what a horrible decision that was.

My statement was as a whole.. Marvel itself (as the company, not as co-produced or indpendently produced) has created more of what I would consider stinker movies opposed to a good movie. I think this is a fair statement to make, and in my experience, most people who have grown up reading such comics more or less feels the same way. This is only my opinion though... there are definitely people out there who liked Wolverine, Fantastic Four and Ghost Rider.. becasue they sure made a crap ton of money.

I agree, the new Marvel Studios self produced movies have been good, but they've only made the two so far... Iron Man and Hulk. The future plans look promising, and I'm holding out hope for everything they have slated. I enjoy the Marvel characters much more then DC, so Im with any side that can provide quality flicks. However, the first wave of co-produced movies were also good; Blade, Spiderman and Xmen.

The point about Disney I was trying to make is that also owns Dimensions Films (Feast series, Crow, Bad Santa ) and Miramax (No Country for Old Men, Kill Bill, Clerks 2) in which both have created alot of restricted, sexual, adult, and fairly violent themed movies. Disney is alot more than just kids cartoons. If they allow Marvel to keep doing what it has been doing, I cant see it being bad a thing.

But, thats what it boils down to. Will they try to influence them, or will they let them go there way and do their own thing. The smart money would be on letting the comic experts make comic movies, but you never know. Like the first message.. Ill have to hold off judgement and see how things play out. There are far worse companies that could of bought Marvel...

Kallidon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:53 pm

The thing that worries me the most is that they bought Marvel because they wanted to reach the young male demographic in a similar way to how their Hanna Montana/High School Musical/Jonas Brothers programs reach the young female demographic. Here's the quote:

Buying Marvel is meant to improve Disney’s following among men and boys. Disney acknowledges it lost some of its footing with guys as it poured resources into female favorites such as “Hannah Montana” and the Jonas Brothers.

“Disney will have something guys grew up with and can experience with their kids, especially their sons,” said Gareb Shamus, whose company Wizard Entertainment Group runs several of the Comic-Con conventions around the nation.

Marvel TV shows already account for 20 hours per week of programming on Disney’s recently rebranded, boy-focused cable network, Disney XD, and that looks likely to increase, Iger said. The shows are “right in the wheelhouse for boys,” he said.

I read that as meaning we are going to see a bunch of new Saturday morning cartoons based on Marvel characters and a bunch of direct-to-DVD movies. Here's hoping there are a few legitimate blockbuster movies in there as well.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kallidon on Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:25 pm

Yup, Im with you 100%... here's hoping. *crosses fingers*.

Im trying really hard to hold out hope that it will be a good thing.. but deep down I'm just as worried as the next comic fan. Wolverine was such a giant turd and I just want the crap parade to stop. *sigh*

Id love to see more support to the characters that aren't the mainstream ones. Ant Man is a low tier hero to be sure, but I think the movie has the potential to be great.

And please.. stop making up super heroes.. there are a few thousand kicking around with good histories.. you dont need to make any new ones up.

Kallidon

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:34 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top