Sept.3000 tournament

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Sept.3000 tournament

Post  squalie on Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:15 pm

How many of you can say you threatened to punch your boss in the face, defend 3 other salespeople and not get fired? I can. My PoS boss pulled an absolute epic fail this week.

I have an OWNER/boss that simply cannot/will not give praise - and criticise the people that make him money over something as simple as not picking up a fax THE VERY SECOND it arrives X 1000 other petty instances. I have hated this man for months over a story that I will tell FOR FREE the next time we are all together, and I insist the drinks are on me.

I either own my own store or go to jail -- there is no in between.

I can't stress how disappointed I am in not being at the tourny, which only adds to my resentment for my boss....
...3000 points of kick-ass Chaos going to waste...

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:42 pm

Sounds intense Don. Also sounds like a good story! Also like the free drinks!

Do people wanna get together for a beer tomorrow night? I can probably shake free by 7:30ish?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lord_Stash on Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:12 am

BAH! No tourny for me... I woke up with a plugged nose and a throat which is completely sore and swollen I can barely talk.

Lord_Stash

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:20 am

Those of you who couldn't make it missed out on a great tournament! Dragons on every table and special characters everywhere! I had an awesome time and I'd like to thank all my opponents for great games despite the announcement of no sportsmanship scores. Thanks for the great event Carson and I look forward to the next one.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:57 am

You guys have nothing to say about Saturday?! You could at least rub it in a little...

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheWade on Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:00 pm

Tournament was great. All three games I played...other than my ass raping from Paul...were intense, fight it out to the end games. My first game against Joe was a lot of fun, looked to be going my way easily when Kholek and a Flickering Fire took out his Dragonlord early in the game. Then I learned about how tough a big unit of Grave guard with the Drakenhoff banner can be and rolled a 6 on three dice to watch Kholek get run down. Very fun game. Second game was a blast too as I watched my entire magic defense go down in turn two against a magic heavy Tomb King army, only to pull it out in the end as his catapults exploded and my combat troops actually got across the table. And then the last game...sigh...Carson ambushed us with a crazy all doubles cause miscasts. Dang you Carson! No wonder people didn't like me when I played Daemons. A Daemon army in the hands of Paul Jessop is painful to face. I think I managed to kill 4 models, but at least one of them was his Bloodthirster. It was a great time, Saskatoon events are always the highlight of my Warhammer season.

TheWade

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:12 pm

The tournament was great, but magic flux scenarios lick balls.

I did have a great time, and cheers to Carson for his organizational skills.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:36 pm

That's what y'all get for taking magic! Seriously, my 2 dispel dice had me really worried going into the tournament but in the end magic really didn't come into play in any of my 3 games, even the one against Teclis! Another thanks to Carson for running a good tournament.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:13 pm

I had a single level 2 Wizard and I hated the scenario.

We don't have Cavalry flux missions that screw over players that take cavalry models, we don't have shooting flux scenarios to bugger the players with shooting phases, why single magic out to be raped in the butt?

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:16 pm

I hate magic flux scenarios also. Just seems predatory to pick on a magic heavy army.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheWade on Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:18 pm

Eric is a genius!

Next tournament I think there should be one cavalry flux scenario...roll a die, on a 4+ the horses get distracted by apples/oatbags/whatever cold ones eat...and can't march or charge!

The second scenario should be shooting flux! Roll your to hits, on triples the archers shoot their own units and warmachines have to roll a scatter dice to see what direction they shoot on a 4+.

The third scenario should be close combat flux...any triples on to hit rolls result in attacks against your own unit!

Now THAT would be an interesting tournament.

TheWade

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JoeMisfeldt on Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:22 pm

I didn't try to cast much with that scenerio (besides 1 die IoN summoning) as I have learnt my leason trying to cast through pandemonium. Perhaps the scenerio could be tweaked a bit to make it more risk vs reward not just risk by making doubles of 1, 2 and 3 miscast but doubles of 4, 5, and 6 irresitable force. Although that might be too good for magic users.

JoeMisfeldt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheWade on Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:55 pm

That's a great idea too! Or, to make it safe for everyone, make 1s and 2s a miscast, 5s and 6s irresistable force, and make 3s and 4s something strange. The spell doesn't go off and something strange happens. That'd be interesting.

TheWade

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:30 pm

Now Eric, surely you're kidding! Fog of War is an old classis that rapes shooting armies. How about the stupid scenario from Winnipeg that you gotta march your units off the enemy's deployment zone? That was FUN for my Dwarfs!

True I can't think of any that specifically neuters Cav, but a lot of the control scenarios where high units strength is a must sort of play against cav. A little bit maybe.

But it's just a prejudice thing. Everyone hates magic! Even wizards actually hate themselves!

With the death of GW Canada and the hall of heroes stuff I think this is a really good time for Toon Town to try some really original stuff. Maybe random scenarios for eash table each round, or some sort fo bidding system for scenarios. Sky's the limit!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:14 pm

Now Eric, surely you're kidding! Fog of War is an old classis that rapes shooting armies. How about the stupid scenario from Winnipeg that you gotta march your units off the enemy's deployment zone? That was FUN for my Dwarfs!

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think the objective of scenarios should be to rape anyone's army and make it un-fun for them. Sad

I could bust out the General's compendium, and some of the campaign supplements I have around here to try and dig up some good ones for next time though, if there's interest?

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:24 pm

Ya the first two games were a blast for me, both games against the same special character, looked like they were going to happen the same way. both games saw no magic resistance against my magic heavy Tomb king's by turn two, they both got tied up in combat against some skeletons for the whole game, both screaming skulls were firing left and right... the big difference was the death of Korack(??) in the first game. however the magic flux just wasn't good for me, all the sudden TK can miscast?

but the tournament was fun and i wish i could have had a chance to play everyone, too little time though

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:49 pm

RickyDMMontoya wrote:

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think the objective of scenarios should be to rape anyone's army and make it un-fun for them. Sad

I could bust out the General's compendium, and some of the campaign supplements I have around here to try and dig up some good ones for next time though, if there's interest?

I am in fact a fan of having scenarios serve as a bit of an equalizer in tournies. I don't know which version of Magic Flux you guys used, but I am not opposed to having somethign in some form in tournies which ideally rewards the calm balanced approach to building a tourny army.

Of course it sucks that if you're playing an army that is balanced and happens to be reliant on some form of magic (Tomb Kings, etc.) then it sucks a TON and is likely less fun for you or your opponent. The march of the deployment scenario I had to play at Warcon in Winnipeg where best I could do was draw was a prime example of a game that I really, really didn't think I should have to play. I did win best overall at that tourny, so no big deal....

But this sounds like another discussion for another thread? I see nothing wrong with scenarios sort of penalizing players who put to much in one basket by overloading on any of the phases of warhammer. Be it movement, shooting, magic, or even combat. Bu that's me, and it caters to the way I want warhammer to be played and I can understand that not only are their other opinions out there that may or may not be valid, but that my own opinion might even be in the minority.

I still like the concept of having a list of say.... 10 scenarios publicly known beforehand. At the start of each round some random opponent gets to draw the next scenario out of a hat. I think that way with a 4 round tourny if their was some sort of scenario that didn't benefit your proposed army you not only know about it before hand, but you could gamble on not playing it.

Hey, wasn't there a bunch of cool scenarios from Australia or something? I seem to recall their GT circuit had something we liked a lot as a group. Or where they the ones who sort of rated the armies?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:14 am

The "scenario" was any doubles miscast.

It doesn't balance anything, it just means that if you spent points on magic, those points were pretty well wasted in that scenario.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:25 am

I would definetly be interested intrying out a lustria campaign game. Anyone with experience at this format want to have a go this Friday, or any other games (my girlfriend is in Greece so I have time)? Magic flux didn't bother me I had one butcher with the hellheart (miscast on any doubles and rolls on ogre gut magic) so it was useless in the last scenario but very effective using it turn one to gain a virtually magic free first turn and get my ogres into combat before taking too much damage. Only one miscast like this happened and it hurt me more than my opponent bc it took all remains in play spells off the table. I don't agree with that result, his miscasts should never have a negative effect on my army but thats the way it is worded.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:40 am

RickyDMMontoya wrote:The "scenario" was any doubles miscast.

It doesn't balance anything, it just means that if you spent points on magic, those points were pretty well wasted in that scenario.

Sounds like a great balancing scenario, if everybody spends more or less the same on magic.

I don't mind the incremental magic flux idea, where the first spell is normal, second is miscast on ones or twos, third ones - three's etc. as you can still prioritize what you need to do and do it.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lord_Stash on Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:18 pm

RickyDMMontoya wrote:I had a single level 2 Wizard and I hated the scenario.

We don't have Cavalry flux missions that screw over players that take cavalry models, we don't have shooting flux scenarios to bugger the players with shooting phases, why single magic out to be raped in the butt?

lol that's quite funny when thinking back to the days of Derek Brown writing the scenarios.

Lord_Stash

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:35 pm

I took no magic so it didn't affect me at all but I can imagine that if I had put a lot of points into magic I would have felt differently. My opponent in that game was Bob Gonda and he just had his level 1 scroll caddy. Even still on his first magic phase he attempted to cas his single fireball spell with 2 dice, miscast, lost a level and took a wound. It wasn't like it affected the outcome of our game but it was still pretty annoying for Bob.

I like your magic flux scenario quite a bit better Scott as it doesn't completely eliminate the magic phase. It makes it slightly less effective but the option to cast is still there and it even adds a bit of strategy which is nice.

I wouldn't be opposed to some scenarios targetted at different phases and unit types, you could also have some tables set up with certain terrain and/or special rules:
- You could have one table with lots of defendable positions or defensive stakes to really mess cavalry up or make any unit armed with spears count as being in a defensive position vs. cavalry.
- You could have a hurricane or lightning storm to stop flyers (or make it more dangerous to use their flight movement).
- You could use fog of war to mess up shooting or have lots of soft and hard cover to shield an advance.
- You could have a table divided by an impassible river with a few bridges to put an emphasis on close combat.
- You could have the armies deploy on the narrow sides of the table to put an emphasis on ranged attacks and fast movement.
- You could have a 4'x4' table to limit the movement choices and force either a big smash-up combat or a subtle chess-match of threatened charges and counter-charges

One thing that I am opposed to though is having the scenario as the sole source of victory points. I prefer to have them add bonus victory points. Like in a battlefield supremecy scenario, have all table quarters worth 200 points instead of "whoever controls the most table quarters wins"

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:31 pm

The battlefield supremacy one was a favorite of mine as it nerfed the wood elves and beastmen non-engaging armies of the time.

I

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:50 pm

nathanr wrote:I wouldn't be opposed to some scenarios targetted at different phases and unit types, you could also have some tables set up with certain terrain and/or special rules:
- You could have one table with lots of defendable positions or defensive stakes to really mess cavalry up or make any unit armed with spears count as being in a defensive position vs. cavalry.
- You could have a hurricane or lightning storm to stop flyers (or make it more dangerous to use their flight movement).
- You could use fog of war to mess up shooting or have lots of soft and hard cover to shield an advance.
- You could have a table divided by an impassible river with a few bridges to put an emphasis on close combat.
- You could have the armies deploy on the narrow sides of the table to put an emphasis on ranged attacks and fast movement.
- You could have a 4'x4' table to limit the movement choices and force either a big smash-up combat or a subtle chess-match of threatened charges and counter-charges

I am opposed to all of the above.

Scenarios should encourage balanced list building - they shouldn't discourage players from bringing what they want. Also make the scenarios known beforehand so players know what they are getting into.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lord_Stash on Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:17 pm

RickyDMMontoya wrote:
nathanr wrote:I wouldn't be opposed to some scenarios targetted at different phases and unit types, you could also have some tables set up with certain terrain and/or special rules:

I am opposed to all of the above.

Scenarios should encourage balanced list building - they shouldn't discourage players from bringing what they want. Also make the scenarios known beforehand so players know what they are getting into.

I have found that it is best for tournaments to have army composition rules (if any) posted before hand, and scenarios kept secret. If you know the scenarios you build your list in anticipation for them, not necessarily for being balanced.

The problem is that fantasy has two fundamental flaws:

1) The terrain system is aweful.

2) The game does not take well to scenarios other than pitched battle.

Lord_Stash

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:05 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top