Friday night games!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Friday night games!

Post  nathanr on Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:37 pm

Carson and I had a game tonight, it was a hard-fought, close combat smash-up between my Brets and his warriors of chaos. In the end he won with a minor victory. It would have been much worse but I chickened out of an all-or nothing (probably nothing) charge on his chaos knights on the bottom of turn 6. Once again magic was my downfall. His Chaos sorcerer was dominant on the battlefield, first with his spells and then he decided to pound on my Bretonnian Lord for a while and killed him in close combat, then almost single-handedly wiped out my battle pilgrims over the course of 8 rounds of grinding combat all without taking a wound. My Knights Errant did manage to charge, kill and run down Carson's Chosen in my turn 2 so it wasn't all bad.

Thanks for the game Carson and I'll we'll have to have a re-match!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Friday night games!

Post  squalie on Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:03 am

I own Woc, and I love Woc, but Carson shouldn't have beat you. Not even knowing the battle report, which was LAME Wink , I would say that you let Carson intimidate you.

If it's a Nurgle, low level sorceror then remove the Buboes sniping (guessing). One, 2nd level sorc can be a real pain. Chaos is awesome in that it just looks tough on the table and makes opponents think that the units are the shiznit.

If Carson is playing Chosen without a warshrine, then he's just playing a unit for fun without benefit. Chosen without backup is wasted points. I learned that the hard way.

Nathan, an even played Bretts should usually beat a Chaos army. Watch those Knights though, they're a real bugger. I almost feel guilty playing 2 units.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:24 am

I played Dom, and we battled each other to a standstill yet again.

Another draw for me.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:35 am

Carson runs a Slanesh-marked army and his sole caster was a level 4 sorcerer lord tooled for combat. It would have gone much different if my general hadn't fluffed his charge. My lord auto-hits so all I needed was 2+ to wound and I rolled 3 1's! Carson's wizard saved the one wound I did cause and then proceeded to stomp on my lord. That was pretty much where everything started to go wrong. That one wizard was what really won the game for him, I can't count the number of times he stopped a decisive charge with that spell that makes one of my units move to a point of his choosing (actually I can, it was 6). My two dispel dice have really become a problem for me. The damage spells don't seem to hurt me too much, its the stupid movement and psychology ones that are the real killers to my army. Finally to add insult to injury, in my turn 6 my Battle Standard and his unit fled in terror to his magically-terror causing knights. That right there was worth around 4-500 points since it gave him a table quarter and the unit and character. There were many times that I thought I had the game in the bag but Carson is a good general and he kept pulling it back to even up the odds.

I was pretty intimidated by the chaos army, but my army is pretty intimidating too in a less in-your-face-spikey-helmeted kind of way! Also, Carson's army wasn't painted yet so it wasn't THAT intimidating. We will have to have a re-match and just for you Don, we'll take the time to do a real battle report, with pictures and everything (that is if Carson agrees to it)!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:37 am

It really was the magic that decided the game.....Nathan had only 2 disple dice. It was the most hack it up game I've ever seen.

I took turn 1 and advanced my entire army up leaving only my Chaos knights and maurauder horse as a second wave to watch out for his 3 units of pegasus knights. Nathan moved up preparing for his lance charges, although he did take down a unit of marauder horse with pegasus knights....the horse were positioned in order to draw the flyers into the centre killing ground. Magic was a non starter.

turn 2 I advanced again, trying to draw charges onto the units I wanted.........I thought that chosen with WS5, T4, 2+armour could handle 6 errant knights............I was wrong. Actually I generally use the chosen as a second wave unit after drawing in chargers but I figured they were in a good position for some knight killing this game. The other charges by Nathan included his lord on pegasus and huge unit of grail pilgrims into my sorcerer lord and accompanying warrior unit.
I was confident in this charge. My Lord had the armour of damnation, ws6, t4 3+ armour plus the wrod of agony which inflicts d6 str4 hits on a chosen mdel at the start of every combat phase (I forgot to use it thought!), I have to challenge so he should only get 1 or 2 hits probably 1 wound. So nathan informs me he auto hits with the silverlance...what no armour of damnation. Luck plays its part and he rolls 3 1's for wounds and I save the single wound on a 6, I then promptly shaved a wound off of the duke in return. My warriors flurry of attacks kill a few pilgrims.....who refused to fail many saves and we all stick around.

turn 3 is where the shit happens. Nathans knights and flying knights are now completing there enveloping movements and I only have my kngihts in reserve to prtoect my rear. So when in doubt cast magic like a moefoe and make Nathans units move where I want them to. Like Isaid magic did Nathan in. Over the course of the game I prevented two game winning charges, set up a charge of mine own and terrorised a lance off the table with magic......yay!

Turns 3-6 invloved a huge scrum iinvloving 7 units. My warriors and sorcerer lord continued to hack up enough casulties to stick around and eventually see of the bret units.

The game was decided by my reserve knights who went apeshit and wiped out a unit of pegasus knights....who actually charged them, ran down a 6man lance of errants and then exploeded into thelarge scrum. Chaos kngihts have out performed all my expectation in every game I've played with them.....they are evil Very Happy

Fun game Nathan, although I was really really rusty on the rules last kngiht after not playing for so long.

I figured out how I had the 2+ armour on the bsb though lasat knight....I forgot chaos bsb's can take a shield in the new book. So chaos armour4+, mounted 3+, shield2+

Last edited by Carson on Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:41 am; edited 1 time in total

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:38 am

I was actually thinking of bringing a camera last night for a full on bat rep. but chickened out as I didn't want a bunch of unprimered plastic's show cased!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:30 am

Pay no attention to the retard from Moose Jaw. My last few posts were just the Whiskey talkin'. Drinkin' and driving isn't dangerous, but drinking and posting is what can really get you hurt!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:28 pm

I can't count the number of times he stopped a decisive charge with that spell that makes one of my units move to a point of his choosing

Since charges are before remaining moves, you can charge any enemies that are available BEFORE the spell takes over. It doesn't prevent charges, but if they don't charge then it effects them.

Now you guys really need a rematch. Smile

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:08 pm

Oh man... if that's true we really need a rematch!

Thanks for putting up the battle report Carson, I would have to take notes during the game to be able to actually write a battle report.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:22 pm

It forces them to move in the remaining moves part of the phase.

Issuing charges is before that. Compulsory moves are before that. So if they are charging or subject to compulsory movement then they can't go where the spell tells them to.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:19 pm

Carson and i also had a game

this game saw my most important charge fail as my chariots in turn got charged on the flank and on the front, the only thing that saved me from utter destruction was my king issuing challenges that he had to accept, giving me a chance to rip through a bit of that Armour and taking away a lot of his attacks, i think turn 3 he had my chariots and my king destroyed, for the most part the rest of the game for me was run and hide, Carson had a choice of charging my tomb prince or my "hidden" hirophant and instead regretted charging my prince. again i challenged him took his BSB and stole all of his attacks on my flank, my usabti made short work of his chosen(?) and my casket of souls managed to do a few wounds while my scorpion ran in circles around some fast cav for pretty much the whole game.

the game was a minor victory for Carson

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:56 pm

we'll thats bull*******. I really need to start rereading the rules. I guess our game Nathan winds up being a showcase of ineptitude.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:40 pm

Meh, I'm not all that concerned with the results anyway. It was a fun and epic smash-fest of a game! Besides, I can't count the number of times I've remembered a rule (or been told a rule) after a game, it happens to everyone.

I will keep that in mind for the next time we play though!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:21 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top