How do you paint?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

How do you paint?

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:03 pm

How do you paint? How do you do it? I can't do it anymore.

I have never liked painting, tolerated it at best, but lately every time I sit down to paint, my brain tries crawling out of my skull. Whereas before I only had a vague dislike for painting, I have somehow acquired an intense loathing or perhaps even hatred for painting. I like to see fully painted armies on the table, but I can't be bothered to actually spend the effort to get them there.

They're just so small and fiddly and time consuming. The process is so gradual it seems like there is no reward for the effort which makes it seem like I have no incentive to bother. I also have no real visual imagination, so I can't picture how a figure will look when I set out to paint it. This basically turns it into a session of trial and error. Frustration after disappointment basically sums up my painting experiences.

I'd love to be able to sit down and paint my armies, but I just don't think it's something I can do.

How do you guys do it without going crazy or smashing up your figures in a disappointed rage?

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: How do you paint?

Post  TheWade on Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:42 pm

Find a buddy who plays and paint with him.

I know EXACTLY how you feel. Sitting alone at a desk with a piece of plastic and a paintbrush is horrid. As an activity you do while hanging out with other Warhammerers it becomes an enjoyable pastime.

TheWade

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:08 pm

Wow, I am in oppositeville. I love painting! I get up an hour earlier then I need to everyday to paint. On my day off I try to get in about 6 hrs, and I try for another hour every night as well. I got into warhammer because I loved building and painting model kits as a kid, but then I wanted to do something with them other then put them on a shelf. I've always enjoyed painting first, gaming second. Love brushin' stuff!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:44 pm

If I didn't have so much on my plate I would paint every night. I absolutely love painting. Sometimes I don't realise it until I'm actually doing it, but it's extremely relaxing and rewarding. I've always drawn, painted, put models together etc, so my brain is just built that way.

My wife asked me why I don't do yoga with her and I replied that painting is my yoga. I'll put a brush to a fig , look up and notice that 5 hours have passed and then I'm disappointed when I have to stop.

My buddy Rob, the Dark Elf guy, did not paint his own army. You couldn't get him to paint if you put a gun to his head. He just cruised ebay until he found the army he wanted, painted the way he wanted, for the price he was comfortable with and has absolutely no shame. He feels it would be a waste of his time to paint and just wants to play the game and I certainly respect that.

Eric, if you don't like painting don't try to make yourself love it. Find a painted army, or get Scott to paint yours and just play the game. I like to paint but you're a better general -- that's the balance of the universe.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:37 am

I'm stuck somewhere between Eric and Scott. I have periods of time where I can paint and even enjoy doing it and then I have times when I just can't be bothered to do it. I think part of my problem is that I don't have a dedicated painting area. If I want to paint it means I have to drag a TV table out, get the paints out, get some water and everything all together in the living room then when I'm done I need to pack it all up. It adds almost half an hour of work every time. I just don't have the room for it. Some day I want to get my garage insulated and a heater put in so that I could set up some sort of work area there but right now I'm stuck where I am.

At the moment I can totally feel for you Eric, I haven't picked up a brush in a month and I just can't bring myself to even think about painting. It is doubly frustrating because I'm so close to finishing up my bretonnian army but I know that if I force myself to paint it won't result in my best work which is what I want.

Anyway, once you become a big fancy-pants lawyer you can pay someone to paint all your armies! (I think that's what you said you were in school for anyway, if not then substitute whatever future career you will have for "lawyer" Very Happy )

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:06 pm

i don't really like painting either , and i dont have the attention span to do so either!
when ever i sit down to do some painting i'll do up a model or 2 and then then think, oh
i know what i should do... play a game using these model's. however i do love putting
them together. i can easily imagine what i want them to look like but never get the paint
to quite reflect my vision.

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:58 pm

Well.... the biggest thing I can think of if you don't like to paint is to not paint. Seriously, Painted armies are wonderful, but if you don't like doing them then I wouldn't. What I would reccomend is at least assembling and spraying them down. At least at that point you can add a little color with a quick 20-30min drybrushing session per unit.

Painted always looks better, and I am not a fan of the all plastic army with no primer even. If you hate painting so much that the alternative is too not play at all then I think you should stick to playing. I went into ultra opposite mode where my love of painting has made it as such that I find the task of painting an entire army very daunting. I did sit down the other night and paint a goblin in a couple hours, and it felt good, so maybe I can get my warhammer mojo back. I might actually pick up on a Bret or Chaos army that's low model count and ge to painting in between other painting jobs.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:04 am

Did you say Bret? Come Scott, join me on the Dark Side! Together we can rule the galaxy! Twisted Evil

Seriously though, this painting thing you've got going is getting out of hand, you really need to get some games in!

On a positive note, I did get a bit of painting done last night for the first time in a month. This thread was just the kick in the pants I needed to pick up a brush and git-r-done.

I also agree with Scott on his point about at least assembling and priming your models. I much prefer to see an all-black army than a plastic and metal one! Plus if you pick the right army (tomb kings, vampires) you can prime them white and you are half done on the painting front!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:52 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top