Why/how did you pick the armies that you have?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Why/how did you pick the armies that you have?

Post  nathanr on Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:23 am

Just curious as to what made people decide to pick the army that they play.

My first army was Dwarfs. Back in '98 I went on a school trip to Toronto, we stopped at a mall for an afternoon off and I wandered into a GW looking for MTG cards and got suckered into a demo game. The guy at the store gave me a catalogue which I took home. I narrowed it down to Wood Elves or Dwarfs, I liked Gimli and Legolas in Lord of the Rings (the book, the movie wasn't out yet) so those were my natural choices. I ended up going with Dwarfs and my friend picked wood elves. My brother got bretonnians since he liked the knights.

After many years of collecting and playing dwarfs I decided I wanted to participate in the movement and magic phases of the game. I wanted an army that was the complete opposite of dwarfs so I went with Wood Elves. My friend sold me his army and I picked up a few more models here and there and I was good to go.

My third army is Bretonnians but it really could have been any army that worked with my vision of an angelic army. I had the idea for them for quite some time but it was just a matter of finding the right army to fit what I thought it should be. Wood Elves would have also worked with my army list but everything would be way too fragile and I really wanted a new army, not just a different theme. Daemons probably would have worked too but the flying units are way too fragile to be proper angels. In the end it was Bretonnia which worked out well because my brother had a load of bretonnian knights that I could steal from him!

Last edited by nathanr on Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Why/how did you pick the armies that you have?

Post  Kendric on Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:41 pm

When I first got into table top gaming I actually played 40k Necrons just because I thought the army was cool (they were robots that could come back to life even after they were killed). But that soon all changed when I had my first fantasy game with my dad and I really like fantasy a lot more then 40k. So then I decided to use Vampire Counts because in a way they were similar to Necrons (they weren't living and they could come back up even after they were killed). I also had painted some skeletons when I was really little and wanted to use them in this army and my dad had some models already. After playing VC's for a while I wanted to try out a new army and it just so happened that my dad had won a box of silverhelms and spearmen so that pretty much made up my mind. My dad also had some high elf models that he used for his old wood elf army so I pretty much had all the models I needed to start up an army. Im glad that I started up high elves as they are very versatile and can be good at pretty much any phase of the game depending on what type of army list you make. Ever since I have been playing high elves but I occasionally switch it to VC's when I need a change.

Kendric

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:14 pm

My first was O&G. I loved the fluff, at the time the very heavily suggested ther dumb ass cockney style of character. Then it was dwarfs as I liked the fluff and game play. Tomb Kings as the fluff of the "royal" undead was cool. Chaos Nurgle because I liek that there is one chaos god that preaches love, and not all whack job killin' and stuff. Then I revisited the armies a couple of times.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:04 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top