who wanted a game ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

who wanted a game ?

Post  ben the kid is back on Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:11 pm

who was it that offered to have a game on sundy, i dont know your alias can u please tell me?

ben the kid is back

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: who wanted a game ?

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:25 pm

It was me Ben, Eric.
I figure around 12?

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ben the kid is back on Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:06 pm

RickyDMMontoya wrote:It was me Ben, Eric.
I figure around 12?

umm sorry but my boss called in from work and says i have to work, 12 to 4 we could have a game tonight or monday , tuesday or wensday, or if the den is open later we could do it sunday night.

ben the kid is back

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:25 pm

Not available tonight, Monday or Tuesday.

Wed evening around 6?

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ben the kid is back on Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:38 pm

RickyDMMontoya wrote:Not available tonight, Monday or Tuesday.

Wed evening around 6?

ya that should work

ben the kid is back

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ben the kid is back on Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:19 pm

ben the kid is back wrote:
RickyDMMontoya wrote:Not available tonight, Monday or Tuesday.

Wed evening around 6?

ya that should work

my boss said the course is closed cuz of rain so we can still have the game at 12 if you do notreply in time we will do it on wensday

ben the kid is back

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:33 pm

Yeah, Wed at 6 would be best.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ben the kid is back on Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:05 pm

RickyDMMontoya wrote:Yeah, Wed at 6 would be best.

k cool what army do u plat skaven right

ben the kid is back

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:16 pm

2 3" overruns, a 3" pursuit and a 2" flee ensured that I had no hope this game. I was challenged and dominated by the dice gods at every turn.

Minor win for Ben. Neither was fully painted.

I really think I am done with my Skaven until they get a new book/models.

If I get into playoffs without playing any more games then I'll play one more I guess, but I'm really just killing time until the next league.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:15 pm

I actually winced when I read this Eric. I have never seen someone get kicked in the balls by an army like you have with these Skaven. They actually haaaaate their general!! Back-stabbin' little feckers...

At least you don't have to wait long for the new book and from the 'rumours' I've read you should do just fine.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:00 am

It's not the rules that I'm even so concerned with.

I could build a bitchin list with the current book, it's just that I would need to assemble like 200 of the most hideous models every shat out as my Skaven Slaves.

Skaven Slaves are pretty much the solution to every problem and there's simply no tolerable model for them right now. Hopefully the new Clanrats are tolerable looking and can be made to look sufficiently slave-like.

Since I am unwilling to have any of the current slaves/clanrats in my army, I am left with a woefully "elite" Skaven army, that pays huge premiums for very poor combat stats and low (and decreasing) leadership.

I would be "flee and flank-ing" like a mofo if I had some Slaves, but until the new models come out, I'm stuck with what I have - and what I have is really not working for me. As it is, with my "elite" heavy list, I am stuck trying to win head to head fights with vastly more powerful enemies. My 8 point Stormvermin just can't compete against 11 point Saurus warriors with higher S, T, !A! and a way better armour save. Now, I'd take on all the Saurus in the world with the equivalent value in 2 point Slaves.

I just physically don't have the tools to play a winning game with my Skaven, and I'm unwilling to settle for the available models, so it's kind of frustrating.

Also, the dice have really kicked me in the teeth at every opportunity, and without sacrificial units, the fallout from even a single dice roll can be pretty damn unforgiving.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:43 pm

This should fix everything.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:47 pm

I think that's going to be great. I know there's lots of people who love the fluff of Skaven, but not the old models or the rules. Myself included. I love the plague monk plastics, and some of those later character models are very cool. Can't wait to see what the new figs look like.

I do howeve CRINGE at the possiblilites of the new rules. I've yet to see a decent army book in a long time. Either too much (DE, HE, Demons) or too little (Warriors of Chaos). Would like to see them come out with some relly good stuff. I still love EMpire, Dwarfs, Orcs for their balance. Mostly.

Good luck GW!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:12 pm

I still love EMpire, Dwarfs, Orcs for their balance.
Balance is all purely relative. A book is only too strong if the other books are weaker.
Likewise, a book is only too weak if the other books are all stronger.

Aside from WoC, the last 5 books have all been in rough parity with each other, High Elves, Dark Elves, Daemons, Vampire Counts and Lizardmen can all easily play with each other. So that's every single 7th edition book except Empire and OnG.

Empire can play with the big boys, it just has to build an ugly list to do it.

If anything, it's that OnG stands out as being too weak in the 7th edition army book crop. For OnG, I would say the problems are:
1.) animosity - characterful but totally wrecks the army.
2.) no access to killing blow or flaming attacks - something that has become valuable, if not necessary due to the proliferation of Regeneration.

Having re-examined WoC, I think it's a playable book, that can occasionally kick the crap out of the new books, but it suffers from "too much of the same" syndrome, and to be competitive WoC players are forced into a pretty bland pigeonhole.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:51 am

It's a good point Eric, but I think the trend of the books is something I just don't like. I think through 6th and early 7th I was ver happy with the way most army lists interacted with each other and the style of battles and army lists I usually saw were usually a fun game for both sides where the battle was won or lost on the table. It seems with most of the new 7th lists it's too easy to make a list where your thinking is done before you hit the table. Magic heavy etc. An army like Empire can do it, but only by building the type of lists that would've got a punch in the nose from his opponent "back in the day".

7th ed. is starting to remind me of 5th ed Hero Hammer and it's unsetlling. I know most of these problems exist only "over there" as we've got an outstanding dort of gentlemans agreement amongst our group that avoids some of these bastardized lists. I know both you and I hung up the demon codex because it was just too much. Though I did like your last incarnation of it (well done!).

OnG has problems that were always there, but as you mentioned with the curve getting reset to a higher level those problems are REALLY apparent. When 1/2 your opponents don't break or roll psychology and you've got a 1/6 chance of doing SFA it does put it into perspective. SOmething like lacking killing blow and flaming attacks even getting mentioned sort of disturbs me as it illustrates just how much the warhammer environment has changed.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:25 am

Every incarnation of army book brings out this debate. I remember back in 6th how the Empire and O&G books were considered weaker than the new books that came out. Everyones hate focused on Skaven and Bretts in 6th edition, now that has switched over to demons, vampirecounts and darkelves......though bretts are still one of the better books.

I find it tough to get too upset over books anymore playing in Saskatoons envirnoment, but I'm sure I could find plenty to complain about by traveling out of town.

Thanks for the pic Eric, if thats the new rat models I'm lovin it. I've been waiting for a new Skaven book for quite some time.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:21 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top