Don's character

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Don's character

Post  squalie on Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:39 pm

Hey guys,

I just got back last night from being in Edmonton for a week with the Fam. Holy crap are the waterslides expensive...

Anyways, I just thought I'd post my character to at least show I've been using the brushes.

Here is my Khorne Herald on Jugger:

I'm even working on the bases to go with the rest of the army. Here's a test Bloodletter:

He's not finished either, but I like where the theme is going so the whole army is going to look like this. And believe it or not, the whole army will have matching bases!

Last edited by squalie on Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Don's character

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:02 pm

Don, hands down your best work ever. Well done!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:51 pm

yeah I second that, awesome work Don!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tim Miller on Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:03 am

Indeed. It looks fantastic. That's going to be one sweet-looking army.

Tim Miller

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:28 pm

Trying to get this done for the Jan tourny. While you mo-fo's have been drinking Eggnog, I've been drinking Eggnog and painting! Still need to paint 1 Herald, 10 Flesh Hounds and 10 Furies.

Works in progress:
2 Units of 3 Bloodcrushers. I think I'll convert 2 for standards (Just to get points in)

60 Bloodletters, based with 2 layers of highlighting -- still lots to do.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:40 am

awesome work Don, nice bases. The bloodcrushers look really good.

So what is a 60 fig assembly line like?

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:26 pm

The bloodcrushers look really good.

They're not done, but they're modeled after the Herald with the Magma look. The armour on the Crushers and all the swords will have that effect.

So what is a 60 fig assembly line like?

Not easy. I'm positive I have A.D.D. and I'll force myself to do 10 and then work on something else for awhile and then 10 more, etc... I would certainly paint a lot faster if I could focus.

I'll tell you one thing; Trying to avoid the core minimum with Daemons isn't easy! The dark path to the cheesy side is seductive.

The pictures are crap, but I wanted to show that I'm trying. I might actually take the first week in January off just to finish painting!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:26 pm

Looking good. More than anything I thin kyou'll be patting yourself on the back for the work on the bases. Top shelf stuff. I really lke the alternative red/white sort of look on the rider on one of the bloodcrushers in the pic. Unless he's just not done. But I like the scheme.

This will be a super strong looking army on the field for sure. I am busy painting commission stuff (Yes Nathan, that means your fig will be done for the tourny!) and I am going to be quitting that when I am done (probably late feb/march) so I am thinking about really finishing off my lizard army. Things like this inspire me to do that. Though I still refuse to assembly line anything. It just feels WAY too much like work and less like a hobby. Good luck, and I'll see you the weekend of the tourny.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:59 pm

Nathan, I didn't respond to you in the other thread as I was going to start posting here.

Scott, you've actually entered me brain a couple times for this very reason:
Though I still refuse to assembly line anything. It just feels WAY too much like work and less like a hobby.

It's hard to do one test model, like it and then look over at 59 more! My wife asked if I'll be done in time ( I think I will,) but I told her that regardless, at least it gets me painting. If I can say I painted a whole Khorne Daemon army in a few weeks AROUND CHRISTMAS TIME, then that's a feather in my cap for sure.

I look at some of the models you paint and I think I never would because they can't be played with! But it looks really fun to put a lot into something and you only have to focus on that one fig. That's what happened to my Khorne Herald. I wasn't even sure I was going to finish the army but I just focused on one model and liked the result. I did 6 Bloodcrushers and the first one turned out ok, but the rest I just rushed through.

The very last Bloodletter is going to look like ass... Laughing
p.s. - I knew Scott was going to mention the bases.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:19 pm

I here ya Don. I will say that every army I have completed was done without assembly line. I have only ever painted one at a time. But that's my brand of mental defect. The reason I HAVE to go sinfle file instead of whole bunchy is because I need the pay off of actually finishing a mini. If I were to paint 60 models, and lets say that's one month of heavy painting or so, I would burn out quicker as I haven't got my satisfaction of completing a mini at all. Like I said, just my personal brand of psychosis.

And of course I mention the base. Their very, very well done. I hope you put as much effort into your next project because those bases are the difference between a well painted army and the best painted army trophy. A champion paint job on a two dimensional flocked base looks worse than a speed painted model on a champion base. I think anyway.

Like I said, love it, gonna be glad to see it in the flesh.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:07 pm

Bloodcrushers are done. Scott, the riders aren't done I just glued plastic Bloodletter arms and heads on the riders so they would all have different poses. Those were just sitting there test fitting. Gotta' go, I have 59 Bloodletters to finish...

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:43 am

Man, these are looking good! I need to get painting, I have less than 20 models to finish but I haven't touched a brush in weeks and here you are painting a whole army in that same amount of time! Lets make a wager, if you finish and I don't, I'll give you a tournament point for every one of my models that isn't finished. Carson, can that be done?

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:39 am

I don't think you can make a wager between the two of you that will affect the outcome for everyone. Why not do it for a beer at break time, or a neck massage while you whisper poetry into the other's ear? You know, a good old fashioned manly bet!

And to complete the threadjack Nathan your Bret lord should be done by the end of tomorrow I think.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:28 am

Nathan, no need for points -- although I appreciate the gesture. I'll get points the old fashioned way...I cheat by using Daemons!

I just realized that I will have no experience playing this army. But really, how hard can it be to play Khorne? I just need to polish the bottom of my movement trays so that I can push them forwards faster! Very Happy

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:55 am

Fair enough, then as Scott says, one beer at lunch time for every model of mine that is unpainted! Right now the count is at 18 or 19 but I hope to have that significantly less by the end of the week.

I got a sweet light tent for Christmas so I'll start posting pictures soon.

Sorry for the threadjacking, I'll give you the thread back so you can continue to post WIP pictures. The models are looking great and I love the bases. You do realize that now you are going to have to put the same effort into your beasts once they come out!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:18 pm

You do realize that now you are going to have to put the same effort into your beasts once they come out!

I actually want to start from scratch when the new book comes out. I have a Beastmen army for sale! Wink

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:13 pm

Ok, big update. I have been painting like crazy so I thought I post a few pictures. Haven't had this much fun painting in a long time...

Bloodcrushers completely done. 6 in total:

60 Bloodletters finished although I'm only going to use 50. I put the Herald in the unit to show how it will look on the table. I'm not in love with the Banners, but it's too late to change them before the tournament.

Furies all done:

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:56 am

Holy Crap! Well done Don, this is shaping up to be an awesome army.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:36 am

excellent work there Don. Great Stuff, bases, painting is top notch.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:21 am

Attaboy Don!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:59 pm

I was actually still painting @ 1 pm. All done (done enough), packed up and ready to go. I think I'm going to bring Beasts though. Cool

Fleshhounds

BSB, banner is just set there in case, for whatever reason, I didn't want a standard.

The army done.

Now on to Chaos Warriors....

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:53 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top