Scott's newest mini

Page 4 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Scott's newest mini

Post  nathanr on Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:36 am

Looks very cool. I was wondering what had become of this guy. I would be interested in seeing this one up close either picture-wise or in real life.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:24 am

You're right, it does look better on Coolmini. Very well done...and an 8.2! You're really climbing the ladder.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:36 am

Nathan, I would love to get your help getting some decent pictures. Your camera rocks the casbah!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:47 am

I've been having a lot of trouble with picture taking lately. My biggest problem is inconsistancy. Sometimes the pics turn out good and sometimes they look really really bad. I could possibly come by tonight around 8 or 8:30 if you want to try my camera out and do a little painting possibly.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:21 am

Tonights no good as it's the boys last soccer game, then I gotta go grovery shopping. I'm in no rush, if you're still game next week?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:10 pm

Ya I could probably work something in next week, it will give me some time to get some work done on the Avatars of War guys. I'm hoping to have the two models pretty much done by the end of the week so I have lots of time to go hard on the base and tree.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:40 am

I was literally out of the commission painting racket for 5 minutes when I had an AWESOME offer from a dude to paint up 6 more of these guys. Not only does he pay WAY better than any other customer I've had, but this mini is painted up to match a mini of mine he bought of eBay. So...

-I'm painting a mini I like
-Painting it the way I want to paint it color wise etc.
-He's paying well.

Super awesome! He's also super laid back about time frame. I basically sent him an eMail telling him why he SHOULDN'T hire me, and there wasn't a single issue he had. So I am painting kind of a "one for you, one for me" kind of deal. I'm pretty stoked about painting again.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:32 pm

This is my entry for a charity auction event over on WAMP. I like him!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:27 pm

I like it too! I definitely need to pick up some of those grass tufts you use on all your bases, they are sweet. We should really arrange a paint-night so that all of us can crowd into your garage, drink your beer and sling some paint. Heck, I'd even drink someone else's beer if they brought it!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:43 pm

TY Nathan. I am thinking we could do a paint thingy this weekend?

This gnome mini is ridiculously small. Less than 12mm to the tip of his head! He doesn't make it much higher than a space marine's knee. Some problems on the mini but MAN! how tiny...

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:52 pm

I was gonna point out a few things until I read what size it was.......good job!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:14 pm

No, by all means point away!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:29 am

alright, I see a couple of sharp lines on the inside of the cloak from dark to light too quick. The same color on the base kind of meshes it all together.....or I could just be too used to seeing a different color on the base?

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:54 am

Yeah you're right abotu the rough transition. Nathan actually spotted it first, so there!

As for the cloak and base being to samey, that's a fair point too. My thought was to make him look more stealthy and ninja-esque by astually using the same color on the base and hte cloak. I glazed the base several times with Charadon Granite to help achieve this effect.

Kids- Don't do this! 'Cause instead of doing any kind of "effect" it just looks "lazy" and does not come off well.

Never hesitate to point stuff out Carson. I love it! It's how I get better!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:05 pm

Hey! A 40K guy! It's for eBay, I'm not going traitor or nuthin'...

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:46 pm

Cool! I like the base too. The bright blue trim is not a color I would have expected from you but it looks good. I like the face especially. The highlights and shading are subtle but good.

If you do another one you should try changing it up with a much darker look - black uniform with red or yellow trim. I think it would be cool to see the difference in the two models.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:12 pm

You know, this might be the "nicest" work you've done. What I mean by that is everything looks "right". I wouldn't change a single thing......except....the end of the blue tassle looks unfinished. I mean, I had to pick something, right? Very Happy

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:49 pm

Thanks guys. If I do another I might paint him up in a more Grand Moff Tarkin grey scheme. I actually got this color (or the way I remember it anyway) from the conference scene on the death star from Star Wars. Bad guys ALWAYS have the best uniforms.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:52 pm

Awesome work, your just getting better and better. Not much of a fan of the blue trim but thats just personal preference.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:56 pm

I did some playing in photoshop and I came up with this:

I've always wanted to try "painting" a mini in photoshop and this guy of Scott's was pretty much perfect since it had fairly neutral colors and very defined shadows and highlights. Its kind of eye-opening to see what half an hour in photoshop can achieve. Makes you wonder about some of the minis on Coolminiornot, are their blends actually that perfect or is there a bit of digital manipulation going on? Of course now that I've done this everyone here will always have that same thought in the back of their minds about my paint jobs!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:40 pm

wow, thats crazy. Amazing what you can do with skills and a computer.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:32 am

I'm sorry if I stepped on your toes by doing this Scott, I didn't mean to insult your painting in any way. I maybe shouldn't have posted it, I mostly just wanted to see if I could do it. I think it could be a useful way to plan out what colors to use in an army without actually having to paint test models.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:46 am

nathanr wrote:I'm sorry if I stepped on your toes by doing this Scott, I didn't mean to insult your painting in any way. I maybe shouldn't have posted it, I mostly just wanted to see if I could do it. I think it could be a useful way to plan out what colors to use in an army without actually having to paint test models.

Huh? No man, I think it's super cool! I am actually saving that pic for a guide to the next one. I might use it on one of the other officer dudes that came in the blister with this guy. It's super cool.

But in terms of it passing as painted on CMON, the people there are pretty brutal and have REALLY good eyes for that stuff. There's people on the site who even work for Corel and Adobe and are proffesional photo guys. Anyone founf heavily altering their stuff usually gets called out on it pretty quick. I remember one dude was using PS for all his studio paint stuff on his mini site. He got pretty brutalized by the global people and that was the end of him.

BUt I do think it's super cool. Feel free to do whatever you want with stuff I post man. ESPECIALLY something cool like showing alt colour schemes and such.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:37 am

Ok, cool. I didn't want to accidentally offend anyone by doing it, I figured you'd be ok with it but I wasn't sure. I wouldn't even think about doing that and passing it off as a real paint job, if I can tell that its a photoshop job then surely other people would as well.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:05 pm

This is Rincewind from the Colour of Magic series by Terry Prattchet. I love dem books. This was painted for a challenge called "look at my hat" so I purposely painted the mini proper in samey kind of colours to keep focus on the hat.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:52 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11 ... 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top