Scott's newest mini

Page 18 of 19 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rivet Wars Red Skull dude

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:28 pm

I picked up a little box of assorted Rivet Wars characters.  It's kind of an odd looking game from Cool Mini but I always wondered how the mini's would paint up.  Kind of fun as a break but I can't imagine playing this game as your main system, or investing the time and effort to paint up an army for that game.  It's a board game with mini's as opposed to a pure miniature game.  Anyways, the plastic is a touch bendy, defo a gaming mini and not geared for the pure painted.  But the box was 20 bucks CDN, it sated my curiosity and I'll see how it goes on eBay.  It was a nice break from doing Nurgle stuff, I wanted to make sure I could still do blends and not just slopping around with dirt and shit like I feel I'm doing on nurgley stuff.  So here is the guy.  I'm curious to see if there is an ebay market 'cause I might paint up another of the dudes as a break if it sells okay.  Meaning 15 or 20 'Merican bucks.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Scott's newest mini

Post  Carson on Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:37 pm

Love the eye piece. You know your starting to piss me off with your brush skills.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:38 pm

Love the eye piece. You know your starting to piss me off with your brush skills.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:40 pm

And you continue to piss me off with your internet skills! Double post jackassery!

But thank you. What time you coming in Saturday AM?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:50 pm

I have to be at the dentist by 10:30 so I could be at your pad 945 or so.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:22 pm

I will be there. I mean... HERE!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Warthrone Goblin King of the Labrynth

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:21 pm

Started out without a real colour plan in hand. Wanted to do some elfy colours on a goblin. Don't know if it came together. Meh...

It's for a comp over on WAMP. I've been working on it for a while now, just had to finish it up. Decent cast on the mini, some problems that I didn't actually find until half way through the mini paint wise. So now they're just kinda part of the model.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:33 am

I like it, I really do. The blue cloak just pops and the green is really great too. Love the bright colours. I need to see it on a bigger screen to judge the actual paint job but that in itself says something. Nice one Scott!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:45 am

quite a departure from your norm but it works. One thing I've really come to appreciate is basing and yours is always top notch. Love the rock with differing colors mixed into the earth.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:48 am

I really like that fig, what is it? looks like a Regal Goblin, the Cape is so... capey... Like the colours

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:59 pm

Ok, here are my crits:

- Model's right eye looks a bit muddy, not as bright and crisp as the left, it might be the picture though and it's likely not easy to see in person. Just when you blow it up big you can see it.
- The patches on the cloak give it a great contrast to the blue but I'd like to see your own personal touch here Scott, those patches could be from anything. I think a goblin king would patch his nice blue robe with something with a little more style than beige cloth. It could be an opportunity to do a little freehand, like hearts or fleur-de-lis or plaid. Something interesting to catch the eye and give it a bit more visual interest.
- The face is especially well done, good shadows and highlights.

- I really like how you paint red. What's your secret for highlighting without it looking pink or orange?

Overall, not much for criticism. I like the bright colours (I think I said that already).

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:46 pm

TY. Mini is from Avatars of War/Warthrone. It's the Goblin king of the Labrynth or something like that.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:51 pm

Didn't see Nathan's comments, sorry man!

-You're right about the patches. Would have been a really good part do something focal especially seeing as the patches are on the opposite face of the mini so they would still allow for me to try and push the focal point to the eyes/nose without any conflict form those spots. Good spot!

-This mini is the worst one I've ever photographed. I took around 80 pics in different setting then eventually gave up. I can't independently set my depth of field and the exposure rate for some reason so the camera hated this mini. I hope that's why the eyes look a little dead. There is actually spots of bright yellow for pupils but the highlight on the nose swallows them up. One eye could be worse than the other though for sure.

-My reds are usually from a brighter mid tone nowadays shaded in several steps to a dark purple and some black in the recesses. The highlights are done using flesh tone and adding that to the mix then usually on it's own as a highlight. Warmer flesh like a bronze flesh obv gives a warmer finish. For this one I used around an elf flesh equivalent I think.

Thanks Nathan!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:25 pm

Adding flesh tone....never thought of that.

The fig is noticeably brighter than your usual work - which is maybe why you think it's meh?

I like it. Quite a bit actually. I would even explore brighter shades, go back to the 90's GW and cut loose!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:39 pm

My thought was to fancy the dude up by putting some elf colours on a goblin. My opinion the best work on the mini is lost against the blue cape vs. bright green skin. The red looks as an afterthought to my eye. I think it's "meh" as there was no real plan of mine. I think in hindsight I should have made the undercloak blue as well and just gone for it, maybe adding red patches for a little interest like Nathan suggested. The most difficult parts were the metals on the crown and the steel scale mail. That's where the bulk of the time went. I could've eliminated a lot of work as it doesn't get noticed. Which is fine, it just means I've learned the value of planning a mini out a little more.

Which brings me to another point. Some projects I don't plan, but it very quickly comes together for me in my mind. Colour choices, different ideas for shading etc. Those mini's are a joy to paint and I finish those in record time as each session involves me hitting the painting station and giving her balls for as long as my family will fuck off and leave me alone. With a mini like this, I really thought "paint it like you'd paint an elf" as a bit of a challenge. I knew I wanted bright... and that was it. So I'd find myself with some time to paint and I'd just sort of veg out. I'd either browse netfilx for like a half an hour, not watching ANYTHING or worse go sit down and pick up the mini and brush and just... nothing. Paint the cloak white? Creamy white or grey scale white? Fuck it. How about red? I paint lots of red, that's a cop out. Maybe I could paint Red using a pure purple base and move through to red? Fuck it, that sounds weird. Just paint some metal. Do I go super bright with blue shading like I would a dwarf? No, keep it lower with red and green shading. Maybe pure metal with just black shading? Nah that's boring.

Oh look, it's time for bed and I've done nothing. Next day... same thing. Some of the stuff was pretty autopilot to do but most of it I had to think about and it took FOREVER to paint. Not in man hours, but it was probably 5-6 weeks for a twenty hour project.

I paint each and every day, especially in winter. I'd say 60 minutes budgeted at the least in at least two half hour sessions. So this project was a real expert level event when it comes to waffling.

Most times I'd just leave it and move to something else but I felt like in doing that I was saying "It's cool that you can't paint light happy colours, just live with your limitations." and that made me get pissy with myself. I'd like to do more bright stuff every now and again. Even though in the end I wouldn't call this a head to toe bright project. I still prefer darker earth toned stuff, I just like to know I paint that because I prefer it not because it's all I can do.

but it actually may be all I can do.

Fuck it, I'm going to go surf Netflix for a half hour and watch nothing in the end.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:09 pm

I love it when people are self aware!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:16 pm

While the end result may look the same as most stuff the process was different for me this time. Lots of glazes I don't usually use. Might have wound up just zeroing each other out in the end but this mini was a beast. 40 hrs for sure. Using almost exclusively ScaleColour paints on this mini which was kind of fun. They're good paints, excellent for blending! I'd rate them much lower than Vallejo for coverage/opacity though.

Fun, didn't look like I reinvented the wheel but I learned more on this mini than maybe my last half dozen.

All crits are good crits, fire away!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:17 pm

I've got nothing, its amazing!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:33 pm

The rocks on the base stand out most to me, love them... i want them... i must have them... How you do? (now if that isnt a silly question to ask Scott LOL!)

The ONLY thing i dont get, and again this could just be me not getting it... is why is his weapon lighter at the top? is that for light effect or because thats where its more worn out from use? or?

(Ps i definitely think the goblin above it is one of my fav figs. I think its the colours u used)

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:11 pm

Very much into that fig. Well done and I'm even trying to nit-pick. I'm also curious how you did the base?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:58 pm

Base...

Blob of Milliput putty which I put the mini into as well as the small rocks. The rocks are small pieces of slate from the old GW basing kit (any slate would work I imagine) and some small pieces of bark. Whatever shape work best.

-Let it dry for a day, then I do the carpenters glue brushed on gimmick. I add some of the crushed slate, just a little onto the glue first then I dip it in the fine sand after. This helps give it a bit fo an irregular texture I think.

-I paint the sand with a brush on primer then prime the whole mini with a spray once that's dry. The brush on primer helps make it easier to paint the sand as it can just suck up a ton of the paint and take a lot of extra steps I don't wanna spend.

-Paint the sand in a sandy colour. Paint the rocks in a rocky grey colour.

-Once dry I add about 3 or 4 layers fo pigments thinned with a special thinner. It's enamel based I think, doesn't react well to acrylic paint being on top of it. I start with a darker pigment wash and work to the lightest. It looks like it's more layered in the hand then in any picks. I wash the rocks and everything. it's a messy step. I then seal it all with a special brush on sealer and let it dry for a day.

-Rocks are then painted like anything else. I usually shaded them with a dark purple or blue and take the colour up to a light gray. Sometimes I add some red brown to the mix.

It sounds like there are a lot more steps and time taken then it really is. The tufts are from Silfor, ready made just glued on with a flexible super glue. Drying time is a day between a couple steps before I can start paitning the mini proper so there is some slight ennui involved if I catch a bug to pick a mini up right from the box and start painting. What a dope ass word I just used!

A base like this in actual painting time is maybe a 1/2 hour. Maybe a touch more. I took a couple minutes and touched up some of the fine slate pieces on the base (chunkiest pieces of the sand) and the three rocks or so would have been about 20 min or so.

TY guys.

Weapon effect is typically just to show the light bouncing off the top. Also just 'cause it is more fun to do metals with as much movement as you can pull off going from light to dark.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:40 am

I like it. I can see all kinds of different colors and shades in the "green" armour which is cool. I like that the blade of the weapon is a different base color from the rest of the guy, makes it look like a different type of metal which it probably would be and it gives the model more visual interest. At the same time the two cloth areas (the tabbard and the wrappings on the weapon) look like they had the same methods used in both which is slightly disappointing seeing as how those would probably be different types of material. The severed head serving as a codpiece kinda blends into everything else as well, not sure how you could (or if you even should) have made it stand out more but it's just an observation. I love the way you've added lighting and your transitions from light to dark are spot-on. If you put highlights/shadows in the wrong places they are usually glaringly obvious and I don't see anything like that on this model. Everything looks right. The base is also excellent as usual, like you said, it sounds like a lot of steps but you probably can do it on autopilot by now.

Nice work as always Scott.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:03 pm

TY Nathan.

It's going cheap on eBay!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/272330974196?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:17 pm

I bid it up brother.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:34 pm