Scott's newest mini

Page 17 of 19 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Scott's newest mini

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:35 am

Kal wrote:Very much like that fig Scott, the wood on the guns is very awesome. just like how i want my dwarf crossbows to look. howd u do that?

Base coat of a dark reddish brown, glaze of dark blue green, blend the basecoat back in and mix up with a tan colour then a bleached bone colour for final edge highlight.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:48 am

I like it. Just as you said, it isn't much of a departure from your regular colors but you definitely do them well. I'm always amazed at the smooth transitions you are able to achieve and you are getting much better at lighting and deciding which parts should be in shadow and which should be in light, something I think you've said you struggled with in the past. It looks very natural on this one so good job. As Carson mentioned, the armoured bits look a little out of place. I think he's hit the nail on the head in that the highlights are a bit too pronounced and the transitions aren't quite as smooth. The rest of the model is muted and more realistic so the armoured bits with their pronounced highlights come off looking a little cartoony. It's not that they are done poorly, it just looks like two different styles mixed together.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:15 pm

It's going up on eBay tomorrow, I haven't sold a mini on eBay in over a year. We'll see how she goes. I started it at 99 cents, it's always a crapshoot.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kal on Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:11 am

ScottRadom wrote:It's going up on eBay tomorrow, I haven't sold a mini on eBay in over a year.  We'll see how she goes.  I started it at 99 cents, it's always a crapshoot.

I really like him, would honestly bid on it, especially for 99 cents Wink but i can't think of an army id use him in... lol

Kal

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:24 pm

I'll be bidding on it, I've always wanted this fig for my empire army.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:58 pm

It'll go super cheap! I'll post the link here when it goes up.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:33 pm

I was going to ask you for the link.............. Very Happy

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Khoutare on Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:07 pm

oh god, why did I click on the link for your profile on the Cool Mini page...

but besides that fantastic mini. I really enjoy how you painted the leather.

Khoutare

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:21 am

Ha! You love that shit!

Here's the eBay link....

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Painted-Warhammer-Witch-Hunter-/271757257180?ssPageName=ADME:L:LCA:CA:1123

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:54 am

I have that as a lifesize poster in my basement. For some reason I don't get as much company as I used to.....

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:29 pm

squalie wrote:I have that as a lifesize poster in my basement.  For some reason I don't get as much company as I used to.....

That's BS!

Man the auction seems to have taken off with more than a week to go. I actually didn't have high hopes as it didn't score all that high on CMON and that's where most of the traffic comes from. Happy surprise! Now I'll see if I can get some other stuff to sell so I can maybe entertain my idea of "Hobby Buoyancy" by only spending money I make from selling stuff on new stuff. We'll see.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:02 pm

This is the Forgotten Warrior from Enigma mini's.  It's huge!!!!  About an 3/4" taller than a chaos warrior or a space marine.  Anyway, been fighting with the pictures with this for a couple days.  Still can't get it right.  Pic's with lots of metals in them are not easy for me to take man.  Anyways... fire away.  I'll get a pic for scale with something else eventually.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:26 pm

Holy crap, do I love that mini! The paint works very well with it. I like that there's a cohesiveness (sp) running through it and the purplish tinge to the robe.

Congrats on the Witch Hunter! Is that what you expected to get?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:02 pm

No, the Witch Hunter went for 85 US clams. WAY more then I expect. I usually expect around 30 bucks or so, which is fine for what it is for me. Just a way to get a little more than I paid so I can keep buying more things.

I started the auction at 99 cents as I usually do now. I have had a couple sell for 99 cents and one mini DID NOT SELL for a buck. It was a $12 mini... so that means that my paint job made the mini actually worthless to the point nobody even wanted to by it and strip it down. I'll get them!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:12 pm

beautiful, that's all I have to say.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:52 pm

Love that model! It's very menacing and would make a sweet chaos character. The only nitpicky thing I've got is that the trophy heads seem a bit unfinished, especially the back one. Maybe it's because you painted it with the eyes closed, I don't know. I just feel like it looks too healthy and needs a bit more discoloration maybe?

The metals look great, the cloth is great as always and the skin is top-notch. The heads are the only thing that could be done better.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:39 pm

Appreciate the crits Nathan!

Here's a guy I painted.  For this I tried something new that I am going to keep practicing on.  Normally when I paint I would start from the darker end of what would be the finished "mid tone" on a colour and shade it then highlight it up.  I think that's a big part of why my mini's always look so dark.  It's 'cause they are.  So I tried practicing what some other painters do and start from near the lighter end of the colour and spend more time shading the colour darker.  If that makes sense.  If the green parts of the armour would be green with 1 being the brightest highlight to ten being the darkest shading on the part I would typically say I would start at around a 7.  Shade a little, then try to work the highlights up.  On this I tried starting around a 2 to 3 and shade down.  It's going to take some getting used to!  I am also using an almost entirely new paint palette as well.  I bought into the Andrea Scale and Game colour range.  So hopefully this puts a little separation between where I was colour wise and gives me some much needed new range.  We'll see.  

Anyways...

And for those so inclined...

http://www.coolminiornot.com/378297

So, any thoughts?  Remember free reign to really kick me in the dink on the painting.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:38 pm

I really like this. I'm going to hold off on criticism until I see it on a big screen instead of my phone but from what I can tell I'm really digging the bright green and how it contrasts with the pale skin.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:08 pm

Well, there's a shade of green we've never seen before! Looks good!

the fig also has an old school Warhammer feel to it, so that's cool. I'd like you to explore more of this colour theory, I think you'll like it.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:05 pm

What a departure. Its definitely a well painted mini, I'd like a bit more green tone in the "blade of the weapon though. Maybe not? I'm an idiot so what do I know.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:46 pm

Ok Scott, here are my crits:

1. Dwarf head - Beard and hair and skin almost blend together.  I think you used the same wash color on both the skin and hair and it shows.  Even if you didn't, that's what it looks like so it doesn't really matter.  It's a small element of the mini but it is an important one.  This is THE head that this guy decided he wants to carry around today so it should be special.  I would make the hair a drastically different color from the skin.  If you're going with reddish skintone, go with either blonde or dark brown hair.  Or if you want the red hair, go paler on the skin.

2. The dude's skin is great and has all kinds of colors in there yet still looks pale.  I especially like his unarmoured hand.  You've really done well going from your darkest shade to your brightest highlight.  I think the rest of the skin, especially the shoulder could use 1 more level of brighter highlight, like you've done with the hand.  It might be that the hand is reflecting more light from your photography setup, if that's the case then I'd try to replicate that reflection in paint.

3. The central ridges on the helmet might benefit from a fine line highlight of white (or close to white) to finish them off and bring the focus to the face of the mini.  Sort of like you've done down the middle of the top chest plate.

4. Lastly, if it were my mini I would have removed the severed head, tried to reposition the left arm out in front of him and put a daisy in his hand.  Sort of reminiscent of the ending of District 9.  Not really a useful suggestion but I feel like you've achieved almost as much as you can with a "stock" mini and the thing that sets the Golden Daemon winners apart is their ability to change the mini and turn it into a display model rather than a gaming figure. If that makes sense.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:07 pm

Ha! I like it except you sort of went of the reservation there with number 4.

All fair points!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:18 pm

Cripes, there was more work put into that crit than Scott put into painting the fig! Dayum. Very Happy

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:19 pm

ScottRadom wrote:Ha!  I like it except you sort of went of the reservation there with number 4.

All fair points!

I'm just saying, at some point you are going to have to do some work before painting besides basing to make the mini tell a unique story or evoke an emotion. That's when it becomes art. Your painting has reached a point where technical improvements are not going to be noticed by 90% of viewers and to make your minis stand out from the rest you need to make it unique.

You're going to say something like "I can't sculpt worth shit" or some such nonsense. Just think, 5 years ago your painting was shit compared to what it is now. If you apply yourself you can do anything!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:23 pm

I appreciate the boost Nathan! Right now I feel like I am far behind where I want to be as a painter so I need to work on that. The list of things I can't/don't do with a brush outnumber the things I can do. So I have a lot to work on their. One day, and you're right maybe I'll try the odd thing here and there.

Look out world!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:29 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 19 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top