Scott's newest mini

Page 11 of 19 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Scott's newest mini

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:43 pm

Painted for an Avatars of War contest over on WAMP. Not super thrilled about the pics on this one. I really like it in the hand. I tried some new stuff for the flesh onthis guy, most of which has been elimniated by the stupid camera. Such is life!
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:41 am

cool fig I like the cloth on the back and the skin tone, hair looks like grey is too much in some areas on topknot.
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:48 pm

Nice skin and the cloth looks excellent. That Hammer could be used for a clinic all on it's own. Crazy smooth.
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun May 01, 2011 9:24 pm

Thanks guys! The boots do kinda look like ass on the ogre.

Painted this up all fast and furious style. It's a Chaos Dwarf from Hasslefree I am painting as part of a "Paint for profit" challenge over on wamp. I think some dude on Dakka started soing a thing where he gave himself a small budget to buy and paint a mini. Sold it, and bought another project etc. My goal is to get 500$ cash or so by the time I go to Germany to get drunk at the end of September. So this dude cost me around 6.50$ after postage. I gave myself an initial budget of 10$, so I'll carry over $3.50 onto the next project. I have another bunch of these Chaos dwarfs I can paint up, if this guy sells at all. As for the mini, the robe looks WAY too similar to the chest/back piece of armour and the weathering and paint chips look like ass I think.
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun May 08, 2011 8:44 pm

http://www.coolminiornot.com/278117

Painted this guy up quick. Like three hours tops. I am using him for the Paint for Profit challenge on WAMP and I decided that if I went for a generic brown robe onthe dude he'd appeal to potentially more buyers than if I painted him up as a specific nurgle follower or whatever. End result I think it a pretty bland mini. Oh well, let's ee if it sells!
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon May 09, 2011 7:33 am

The mini seems to be a bit lost in the base. The mini itself looks pretty good though. Hopefully it sells. How did the last one do?
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue May 10, 2011 8:45 am

not much to crit here, excellent painting as always. One thing though that I feel you should move away from is the blueish oxyedation of the metal. It does look good on mini's but its always bugged me cuz it only happens on Copper. Try some rust effects, I'm sure you'll pull it off and will make your work look more realistic.
Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue May 10, 2011 11:10 am

It's a good point about the bluish stuff I add. I know it's not at all realistic but it's something I do to try to make it look a little more intersting. I've tried rust and stuff but onthe yellowy metals, 'cause I shade with a lot of devlan mud and vallejo smoke, I just can't get it to look like anytihng more than sloppy paint. So I put that turqouise in their just to break it all up and add something. I actually went back and added it to tat Chaos dwarf wizard guy 'cause without it it was EVEN more boring I thought. But it's a good point about it not being realistic at all. I would never try it on a FoW vehicle or anything. I will try around with that rust stuff to see if I can get it going. And if you see any examples, let me know so I can study them. I appreciate the comments. In the mean time.... Here's another mini with the blue stuff onthe metal!

http://www.coolminiornot.com/278215
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed May 11, 2011 4:17 pm

Another real quick one. This company (Ratnik) makes cheap post apoc stuff. I like 'em! Pretty rough sculpt though...

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed May 11, 2011 6:59 pm

The rust on the metal is fantastic....now thats what I'm talkin about.
Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue May 17, 2011 8:10 pm

Hey Homey, check this out!

http://battlereporter.blogspot.com/
Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue May 17, 2011 9:31 pm

Y'know what? I don't know how to feel about that. I mean, it's not credited to me, it doesn't link to my auction or anything... I kind of feel raped somehow. I mean, it's super cool on one hand, but maybe they should've/could've talked to me first? I am not gonna say no, It's just kind of wierd.
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Tue May 17, 2011 10:23 pm

Really like the skin on the gobbo how did you do that.
Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue May 17, 2011 10:38 pm

I think the skin was Russian Green base (VMC) shaded with Coal Black (P3) and thinned badab black in deepest shadows. Highlights were base + Golden Olive (VMC) and Menoth White (P3) and spots of pure Menoth White Highlight (P3) in spots like the nose and such. Lots of GW purple, blue, red, sepia washes thinned down at different times. I think anyway. I've been changing it up a lot lately.
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun May 29, 2011 1:20 pm

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun May 29, 2011 11:37 pm

your best yet buddy! Love the base work and rust effects. Upper chest has something wrong with it though, almost as if its missing some muscle definition? sculpt maybe?

the sculpt is awesome though, what is it? have to get it.
Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon May 30, 2011 9:17 am

This is one of my favorite figs. I'm going to say the standard "I love your metals, skin, blending, etc". I do notice that the heads seem bland enough to get lost in the loin cloth though.

Scott, let me ask you; I always seem to be saying the same thing about your painting and the crits are getting less and less and more mundane. Like I'm just looking for anything to find for you to improve on.

What do the "Professional painters" say about your painting? What are the common criticism's brought up by some of the best in the hobby? Are we out to lunch or are we coincidentally bringing up the same things they do?
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:42 pm

Can't believe i haven't finished a mini since May. Anyway, this one if for a comp over on WAMP. Now I gotta go pick a 20mm GW fig to paint! It'll be good to get back to my roots!

This is a tiny mini! Here's a size comparison...

http://www.coolminiornot.com/285101
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:51 pm

good thing you paint better than you golf.........oh gottya good!
Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:44 pm

I painted this dude for our 20mm segment of the painting challenge. I call him "the Mayor of Altdorf". He likes it when I call him that!
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:55 pm

That is a cool model, is it GW? I like the blue, it is really smooth in the transitions from light to dark. I also like that you painted it so bright, it is a departure from your regular darker paint jobs.
nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:57 pm

thanks Nathan! It's from the GW citizens of the empire pack.
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:59 pm

Very nice, especially the face. The color transition on the hat brim...light to dark is off....I can see a line. Hey for me it would be a masterpiece but for your skills I think it slipped by.
Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:39 am

Scott, you know I love ya' but that figure is BLAND. Technically the painting is crazy good. If a guy knows what to look for the transitions, blending, metals are really, really good. The problem is no one would dress in just those colours unless their mother made them do it. You need to escape from your comfort colours and try something different. EXCELLENT skills, but the fig just doesn't inspire. The colours are so deep you would swear that fabric is real.

I'm going to say again to be clear; You are a superhero. You're painting is very, very, VERY good. BUT, your pallet is so limiting on this fig that it's a waste of your talent. My god, I read this and it sounds so harsh, but I sure don't mean it that way. I sure hope you get what I'm trying to say.

C'mon, even the base you could do in your sleep. Actually, the next time I see you I'm going to slap you in the face for not trying to be better with each fig. You'll thank me for it someday.... Very Happy

p.s - that's what you get for not playing.
squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:45 am

Hey guys, LOVE the crits! Never ever hold back. I really appreciate and love it when you take the the time to point those things out. Agree with all of them. You guys know my goal is to get better and try competing someday and that doesn't happen without the honest stuff. Harsh sounding to you is gravy to my potato ears!
ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 19 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top