Scott's newest mini

Page 2 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Scott's newest mini

Post  nathanr on Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:01 pm

I like it! It is a really wierd fig but thus far it is pretty impressive.

As for suggestions I'd say just continue on as you are. If you want me to be specific you could redden up the base of those two lumps on his head and then highlight the tops of them to a greenish white to make them extra gross. On the other side of his head I'd add a bit of blue or purple tinge to the veins that I think that I can see. Little details like that will really add character to the model I think. You could also try a cool freehand tatoo of some sort, maybe a barcode on the back of his head or a serial number on his wrist to make him look like some sort of escaped prison camp experiment. Good work deadifying up the arm where it connects to the metal one, maybe a bit more of a reddish tinge would help show that it is maybe a bit infected or something. Lastly you should weather the metal hand a bit especially around the bolts and rivets.

Sorry, that seems like a lot of suggestions. Take them or leave them or tell me to shut the hell up, it won't hurt my feelings! I think it is coming along great.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:08 pm

Good suggestions from Nathan. As always I'm really impressed with your skin tones.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:06 pm

I did a little more shading on the bulges on the head as you said nathan. I even greened them uo, but toned them down with shadow grey as they really competed with the eyes for focus. I didn't do any freehand, 'cause my freehand eats balls. I can barely write my name man. So that's it. It's for sure the most time I ever put into a mini. Maybe 20 hrs? But I think it's decent work. I am proud of it, and I hope the dude I did it for feels good about it!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:21 pm

The time you put into painting is really starting to pay off (@$$hole). As Carson said you're really getting a hang of the skin tones and everything always looks so smooth. I absolutely cannot copy your tech for metals. I'm a sucker for good metals and I think yours are really getting to the top of the list.

It's too bad you weren't putting this talent on a GW fig!

p.s.- I wouldn't mind a close up shot of his face.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:46 pm

I gotta try to go for some action on a GW fig. I'll assemble a couple and see when the mood strikes. I can't get much of a close up, cause photobuckety is re-sizing my pics. There's bigger pics on the CMON linky....

http://www.coolminiornot.com/234225

You can always vote too, if you like.

I should do up an empire dude. I was painting a Space Hulk Terminator this afternoon. It was 2 hours of painting red, and I don't think it ended up that great. I'll put a pic up when more of it is done! And maybe a Warrior priest, or an AoW fig by the end of the week.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:53 am

I like it. Good job!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:09 pm

Got this AoW mini done. it'll be my entry for the comp here...

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:31 pm

Absolutely love the shield! It really pops.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:36 am

awesome. Not much to add although the blue on shield with the reddish color of the armguards seems to clash a bit for me though. Skin tone is great, love the green fingner nail trick. Havn't seen that before.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:33 pm

The Dkok guy is for a comp over on Hunters of the Warp. I don't think it'll do well as it's gonna be up against some of the super cool Demon Princes and stuff. But I liked painting it.

The bottome one was another commission for the dude who gets me to do Privateer Press stuff. Weird fig man! I'm really happy with the bottle on that guy. That took a long time to get where I was happy.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:49 pm

yep the bottle was the first thing that caught my eye actually. nice one. weird ass fig, whats he actually gonna use it for?

I like the death Korp fig better. Beauitful job blending the greys, the dirt on the base looks a bit flat though.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:56 pm

The top one is kind of a Chaos Dwarf guy from Scibor mini's out of Poland. The bottom one is lord knows what for the same dude as the other Privateer Press stuff.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:05 pm

I really like those chaos dwarfs, I've seen them on CMON from time to time and I think they are very impressive. Your paint job is excellent. The boar-man model is strange but a cool pose, I wish GW would re-do the minotaurs or ogres in poses like that.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:19 pm

Nathan Scibor is running a contest over on WAMP next year, might be a good time to pcik one or two up by then. I could go for ordering a little more from them. As for the minotaur pose, Felix Panigua(?) the guy who used tgo sculpt for GW and now does Avatars of War has a minotaur coming up next, so fingers crossed on a decent dynamic pose.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:34 pm

Nothing dynamic about it.

Felix does great detail work, but I don't think any of his miniatures are dynamic in the least.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:39 pm

Hes probably my favourite sculptur. I saw some empire figs he did up for Gw just before the release of 7th ed. They were fantastic....miles ahead of what actually came out for the Empire.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:21 pm

RickyDMMontoya wrote:Nothing dynamic about it.

Felix does great detail work, but I don't think any of his miniatures are dynamic in the least.

I disagree, if not the full on charge of the other dude, this guy is at least a step up from the super vertical current GW minotaurs. He's at least moving!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:22 pm

Hadn't put anything up in a while. The Dwarf is a WIP for a charity auction over on the WAMP forum Nathan and I are part of. The Ronin is another crappy commission. I can't WAIT until I am done with that shit! I don't mind doing one or two at a time but having a month or two's stuff in front of you is depressing.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:29 pm

flowers on the base look quite well done. I believe its the sculpt on the face that really kills that fig for me though. Nice blending of the blues though.

Dwarf looks awesome so far, especially the furs and metal work. Great base, the winged helm looks a bit chalky, could be the photo? Is that a scribor dwarf?.........loved to see a whole scribor dwarf army....love thier line.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:34 pm

Yeah it's Scibor. They have nice looking models but the casting quality is poor. Also apparently they use a 3-d printing process rather than conventional casting (can't tell you what the difference is!) and they get ripped to hell about it all over the net. Good eye on the helmet, I'll take a look!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:13 am

You know you ma' boy, so I'm going to be honest. Hard to comment on the Dwarf just yet. The Ronin looks better than you think it does. The left sleeve is awesome. What if you painted the rest of his robe, or whatever the hell it's called the same way. I'm tellin' ya' - whole new level. 2 pennies from an idiot.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:26 pm

I agree with you Don, it's just that the guy who is paying me for that ronin does not appreciate that kind fo stuff. He seriously sent a mini back to me because I had done directional light source style metalics and he wanted the basic metal/wash style. I undid about 3 hours work in ten minutes and he was happy.

But enough excuses! This dwarf I am doing for a charity contest/auction and I have put as much time in this one as any other fig. This is my best right now. Here's a couple pics, if anyone see's anything I should do fire away before I call it finished for reals. It's been about 16hrs to this point. There are several issues with the casting quality of the mini itself I should have spent time fixing before I started, but patience is for cowards! Anyway...

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:04 pm

I've said it before; I really like the soft look of your painting. The colours seem slightly muted. My painting is the harsh and bold 'straight outta' the pot' approach. What do you charge for commission work? Rank and file? Characters? Is it posted somewhere?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:13 pm

I appreciate that Don, the muted thingy is something I actual try for. A big difference truthfully is simply using the paint I go with. Vallejo model color is a historical range so the colors aren't near as bold as GW or the other game ranges. Commission work..... yeah.... not so much anymore. I am looking so forward to being done. I got a box of mini's in the mail yesterday I am super stoked about! Can't wait to get to painting stuff for me alone. It's gonna be da bomb. x2!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:36 pm

I got a box of mini's in the mail yesterday I am super stoked about! Can't wait to get to painting stuff for me alone. It's gonna be da bomb. x2!

Cool, sounds like you're going to play more. Wink You keep posting about these Vallejo paints. Where do you get them? I'm really curious to what would happen if I painted in my style with different paints. Would it look like my painting, but with a slightly blurred effect? Like Penthouse? *Daydreams for a moment*

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 3:49 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 19 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top