Scott's newest mini

Page 6 of 19 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Scott's newest mini

Post  Carson on Wed May 12, 2010 8:42 pm

Nice skin tones for sure, little too much snow on base. You covered up alot of the great base work that I saw on the weekend.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sat May 15, 2010 10:25 am

That's a good point Carson! Here's this guy...

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sat May 15, 2010 11:18 am

I don't recognise this fig...what range is it? Not the greatest sculpt for detail but you did a good job. Again metals and skin tones are awesome. Seems to be your strong point. I think the wood areas need a bit more depth though.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sat May 15, 2010 12:10 pm

HOW DARE YOU CARSON! MY wood is awesome and has lots fo depth. Unless you're talking about the mini. Then maybe I could do some more.

This mini is from Scibor. It's defo one of his earliest sculpts. Not as much detail and even I see some huge problems in his sculpting on this one. Check out the left arm holding the mug. I can't figure how it would actually attach to his shoulder. I think under this guys armor and robes he might look like E.T. but the mini came in a pack of four mini's for 20 bucks-ish. SOmetimes I like a bargain! And the others in the bag are a little bit nicer I think. But comparing this mini to the others I have of his this is not on the stronger side of what he is capable of. That left shoulder guard looks super chunky. Like more chunky than Space Marine power armour chunky.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun May 16, 2010 2:01 pm

Yeah definitly not a fan of the sculpt but hey its a dwarf so can't be all bad. It looks like he's holding a cup full of brains.

Just don't post your facebook page here (although the wood is blocked out) or I might need eye surgery again......facebook....thats for steers and queers! Very Happy

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun May 16, 2010 2:23 pm

Scibor is defo a love or hate company. I like his style a lot, but I think I am in the minority. This is one of his earlier sculpts, and I htin khis later stuff is much improved. He's even got an Empire style Warrior priest coming up that I like the looks of. I prefer his Minotaurs about a million times over the GW ones too. Also he's got a dwarf king riding a bear. Some neat stuff. That Napoleon dwarf is from his stuff too.

He's supposed to be shipping me 80$ worth of loot from a contest I won, and I am waiting to see what I get. I hope he doesn't send me stuff I already bought!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun May 16, 2010 9:16 pm

I like Scribor stuff as well, good to see that all good things have start somewhere though.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed May 19, 2010 11:43 pm

Aw man! A eBuddy of mine (And a champion painter) bought my Khorne Lord on eBay. I asked him if he wouldn't mind doing a crit on it and man did he give an awesome rundown of what was good, and bad. Everyone who aspires to paint better should be so lucky to get the tips he gave me! And he took some WAAY better pics. check it out! I post the CMON voting link more because you can see the full size image there. I don't know that the small version with the crit's on it will do what he had to say any justice at all. Anyway...
http://coolminiornot.com/250783

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu May 20, 2010 12:53 am

He told you the exact same things I was going to tell you! ....yeah, that's the ticket.

I read through his crits and you're at that funny stage of painting; when one shows his first painted fig, and it's crap, everyone throws out tons of advice -- cuz it's crap. When one reaches your level, I can criticise your work, even though you are a better painter, because I understand what you're trying to achieve. Make any sense?

I can tell you that the Shield is awesome (for the same reasons he mentioned) and I love the helm, it looks like there might be a blue wash in there? His eyes must have been a bitch, but the blue is a very nice contrast with the red armour. I actually find it difficult to comment on some of your work as our styles are very different; Yours is very good and mine is just a good tabletop quality. I might mention to make your leather straps more "crisp", as that's what I would do. You on the other hand have a smoother, softer style that I try to copy sometimes and it just looks dull to me. I can't seem to pull it off. I can't put my mind there, but when I see it on one of your figs -- it looks just right.

I see red paint on his chest buckle (boo), and the skulls around his waist really are 1/2 of what the one on the top of his head is, so quit friggin' around and clean it up.

You know Scott, you did this to yourself. You could have been like everyone else and just be content to learn about "glazes". NOW, we get to pick apart the tiniest of details as that's what you're striving for. I'm going to go get some popcorn and wait for the next fig. Very Happy

Don "Ebert" Matwe.

Last edited by squalie on Fri May 21, 2010 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Fri May 21, 2010 9:23 am

I live for the hardcore crits!

Without them I never would have been able to get better! I've been really lucky in making some of the efriends I have. Your advice is good, bang on the mark stuff for sure. It's even better when I get advice and tips from the very best on the planet who tell me "I remember when I was at that stage, this is what I learned to do" kind of stuff. It's super awesome. It feels better when they say "Good stuff, that's what I was talking about! Now you can try this...." sort of thing.

The dude (Sven) who gave me those crits is awesome. He was quick to point out "Remember, not only can I tell you I think it's an excellent fig, but I did BUY it. So you don't have to think I am just patronizing you!".

He also said it's at LEAST on par with many of the big name recognizable painters out there. That's super awesome!

And Don, this little link is for you. I am eBaying that Chaos dwarf guy. It's at 99 cents right now, so maybe you can get yo-self a bargain!

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270580863847&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri May 21, 2010 3:14 pm

Can you type out what he is saying in those pictures? I'm having trouble reading them.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Fri May 28, 2010 10:39 pm

Sorry Nathan, didn't see your post. No, I won't type what he's saying but fire me your eMail and I'll send you the full size pics!

Here's one for a contest over on WAMP. This mini is by Kabuki models and it was TOUGH! Wish me luck!

http://coolminiornot.com/251445

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sat May 29, 2010 10:00 am

That is awesome work Scott. Really good. The only crit I have is the hair....seems a bit chalky or mottled. Nice ass! Very Happy the fig I mean.....

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sat May 29, 2010 11:08 am

I can't quite put my finger on it, but this is my favorite fig so far...for some reason.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sat May 29, 2010 9:25 pm

Love the helmet!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sat May 29, 2010 10:57 pm

TY guys!

Don, if you want it let me know. It is way to fragile to be able to ship on eBay so it's pretty much worthless to me. I might just take it down to the den and put it in the case. Or maybe Amazing Stories (My comic dealer of choice!) and see if they want it in their cabinet. Anyway, let me know.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun May 30, 2010 3:57 am

Scott, listen I don't need you to be paying your mortgage from the figs I buy from you. I won't lie to you, that's easily the nicest fake bum I've seen in a long time. Great skin tone.

A few things:

Is that true blending on the helmet? If it is, then I no longer pray to any other God than Scott Radom. The leg armour is also amazing, so it breaks my heart to say you absolutely crapped the bed on the hair from the helmet. This fig is technically close to being "right on", but Carson hit it right; you do crazy-top-notch blending with the armour and helmet and then do the Matwe dry-brush on the hair. We should tie you to the fence and Ninja-punch you to the huevos as you should know better!!!

There is honestly only two crits I have on this fig, the-less-than-Radom-hair, an the way the straps seem to "float" on the leg. There should be more seperation between the strap and the leg. I'm only going by what I see, so I would like to see some contrast between the strap and leg.

You're so close it's scary.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun May 30, 2010 7:21 am

Those are good points Don! And yeah, the helmet is blended. Lot's of layers, thin paint. The hair I didn't think was that bad until I saw the pics! I need to blast it with a couple glazes I think.

And I didn't say "do you want to Buy the fig" I said "do you WANT the fig". I might take it to the comic shop and give it a shot there, or the Den, but I can't sell it on eBay. I'm sure it'll snap into a million pieces (I think this mini comes in 8 pieces, no joke! It was TOUGH to assemble!) so it's of now use to me.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun May 30, 2010 12:35 pm

I sure didn't want to sting ya', as the hair isn't horrible by any means. It's just that you did a remarkable job on the helmet, etc, that we just can't let anything slip anymore! Very Happy

My post was a little off as I wrote it after a long night of UFC and whiskey!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun May 30, 2010 1:00 pm

No Don, I wasn't stung. I agree the hair looks really weak! It wouldn't even be much work to fix it, just glaze in some thinned GW pruple wash and maybe rehighlight if neccessary. I like the crit's. I like getting people to point out where stuff needs to be improved on. I'm getting better and it's been a big part of improving getting advice from people.

One exception....

A guy over on CMON in response to this fig thought it looked like I was using really thick paint in my mini painting. Huh? Really? Is that what it looks like? I didn't get that at all.

The only time people piss me off is when they look at stuff and rip it apart not for any constructive purpose but simply to fulfill some need on their end. But on this mini I got soem bitchin' compliments from a dude named Illusionrip, who's a badass painter. Super smooth, and I've been ripping off a lot of his stuff lately. He knows I've been ripping him off ('Cause I tell him!) and he really like what I did on the skin of the mini.

Anyway, thanks Don!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun May 30, 2010 3:07 pm

Ya' there's no way around this, but that ass has some of the smoothest and nicest flesh tone I've seen in a long while. I don't doubt that it being on an ass sure helps my opinoin.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheWade on Sun May 30, 2010 9:51 pm

Well done Scott.

I was watching that dwarf slayer model on ebay. 41 bucks. Not bad my friend. Not bad.

TheWade

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun May 30, 2010 10:38 pm

Well, it's a 15 buck mini Wade, so after I put the time into it it works out to something like maybe 3 bucks an hour. That's awesome! If I lived in rural India. Still it's better than it used to be!

Actually I saw your name there while you were bidding. If you just want a character mini or something like that let me know. Especially if it's chaosy stuff as I like painting those mini's 'cause you can always try out new stuff.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheWade on Mon May 31, 2010 7:17 pm

Well Scott, if in your painting meanderings you felt the need to do up the latest Doombull model I could see myself being interested...

TheWade

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:08 pm

No doombull....

I painted this for a comp over on WAMP that had a theme of "Blue". I painted this guy using blue as a shade in all the colours, and some of the highlights where I could. Only the face is done differently using red as a shade to dry and focus-ify it. Any thoughts? Wierd thing about the pic is I am having trouble with the head on shot. I've tried it a bunch of different ways and switched background a couple times but something is wierd. It destroys the gem effect I went for on the lenses completely plus a bunch of other stuff. It's wierd. It's not SUPER far off real life or anything, but the bottom pic is the most accurate. I don't get it. Anyway...

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:57 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 19 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 12 ... 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top