Scott's newest mini

Page 1 of 19 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Scott's newest mini

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:32 pm

Rather then spam this place every time I finish something I thought I'd start a new thread. I did this for a contest over on WAMP. The mini is called Toxic girl from the company fatal personality. Here she be....

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Scott's newest mini

Post  nathanr on Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:56 am

Looks good, I always like seeing your work Scott! It doesn't have quite as much polish as the executioner but it is still one of your better models. The black on the gas mask is especially good.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:15 pm

TY Nathan! I painted up this dead hooker for the Malifaux skirmish game coing out soon. Nothin' fancy, but that game does look sweet.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:13 pm

good work on the skin tones but that is probably the most disturbing fig I've seen in a long while. Makes a person wonder where people get thier inspiration from for these figs.

You might of switched up the base with some cobblestones.......unless she was a country whore!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:25 pm

The game is kind of a wild west setting. I was thinking of maybe doing the cobblestone thing, but I want it to match up with the rest of the force. Maybe. I'm not 100% on the base yet.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:46 pm

Did this for a dude in Peru. He is happy... except he told me AFTER that he'd like it on a round base fro Lord fo the Rings. Sigh x 1000.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:49 am

nice, I've always liked that fig but rarely see anyone use it.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:14 am

Yah, its really well done. I especially like the detail you put into the face. Good job!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:00 pm

You seem to have a 'soft' style to your painting, and I've tried to copy it a few times but it always comes too vibrant. I suck at blending.

I've READ tutorials on how to blend, but a fellow needs to see it done. I watched the Jeremie Bonamant video and that would take me forever...which is what good blending is I guess.

Well done

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:42 pm

Blending is easier then it sounds. Is DOES take practice, but it's something I am really comfortable with now. I'd put it down to...

1) thin paint. At least 2:1 water. I usually go for 3 or 4:1 nowadays. I use a hairdryer to speed up the drying process often.

2) VERY little paint on the brush. I lighty run the tip through the paint, then wipe it off on a paper towel. I test the paint load on the back of my thumb. If I can feel the wetness... too much.

3) Light pressure on the brush. I use raphael burshes usually which are a little more firm then the Winsor and Newton ones, but the brush should barely bend when you use it. Also I can't imagine blending with a synthetic brush. Natural fibre applies paint WAY smoother then the cheap stuff.

4) I cheat. If it's not smooth, I glaze over the area with thinned paint or a thinned wash to help smooth the transitions.

If we get togetrher for a pint a ton sometime I'd be happy to show that. I am pretty comfortable with that part of my painting. Doesn't take as long as you think. I bet I did the whole cloak on the elf in an hour tops.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:41 pm

Then we really should get together for a day. A game or two in the afternoon, painting in the evening and bring the sun up with some rock band. Drinking the whole time mind you.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:12 pm

Here's some stuff I did for the same dude who's getting the elf. The line is called Anima Tactics and it reminds me why I hate Japan. GW used to get ridiculed fo rout of proportion stuff!!!! MAN! Anyway....

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:16 pm

Looks good Scott, That sword on the second guy isn't out of proportion, its just made out of aluminum so it is light as a feather and also pretty much useless but its ok because he just stands there and looks intimidating in his muscular armour (also aluminum) rather than actually fighting.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:33 pm

The figures...meh. But at least the painting is good! I really like the armour, especially the bottom one with the EXTREME sword. A recipe for the silver armour would be appreciated as I'd like to do Sigvald that way.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:23 pm

good lord your getting good..............asshole.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:53 pm

I second Don's request for silver tech!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:58 pm

squalie wrote:The figures...meh. But at least the painting is good! I really like the armour, especially the bottom one with the EXTREME sword. A recipe for the silver armour would be appreciated as I'd like to do Sigvald that way.

I wanted to add a little warmth to the metals to help the final cool highloghts standout. Didn't work as well as I hoped, but anyway. Here's how I did them. It takes less time then it sounds...

Basecoat in Vallejo Air color Gun metal.

Glazes of the following. The goal is to add a lot of color to the model. I've just started doing this on the last couple models but I like where it's going.

-3 layers GW dark flesh
-3 payers P3 bloodstone (greeny orange)
-3 layers P3 Sanguine base (purpley)
-3 layers tausept ochre

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:01 pm

Ooops. Liek I was saying
-2 layers Vallejo Prussian Blue
-2 layers Charadon granite.

All thinned to about 10:1 water paint and applied sparingly, not like a wash.

Then Bring back the metal with gun metal basecoat on the key areas. Highlights are done with vallejo air colors steel, silver, chrome, then vallejo metal medium with white added for extreme-o highlights. The a glaze of Vallejo Sky blue is applied on the highlights. I think I would go lighter usually but as this is a crappy anime style fig I tried it out a little heavy. Then I needed more shading so I glazed the parts I needed to with Vallejo German Cam Black/Brown mixed 50:50 with P3 Sanguine base.

Done.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:16 pm

I was just thinking that I should throw the disclaimer on there that I did not come up with that idea. Best check out the article on CMON from the man himself, Automaton/Sebastian Archer. An Aussie painter who is simply awesome. The link....

http://www.coolminiornot.com/article/aid/649

And another good article with a different approach by a dude named Matt Sterbentz who is really good. He painted a Sigvald that BLEW AWAY any other I have ever seen.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/article/aid/744

Anyone interested in stretching their paintign legs should spend a littel time reading hte articles on that board. Start with the beginer, no matter what level you think you are, as there's stuff in there that I didn't know after 20+ years and maybe a dozen painted armies worth of painting.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:08 am

I didn't realize there was a color that could be described as "greeny orange"! Thanks for the tech but you lost me about the time you got to your third glaze! The results are staggering but I just can't put my head around how much work goes into it!

Once you've watered down your paints are they about the consistency of the new GW washes or are they thinner than that even?

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:41 pm

Thinner Nathan. About 3:1 water to GW washes when I use them for flesh and stuff. Been using a lot of red, blue, and green as well as good ole purple on skin lately.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:47 am

I can second how important it is to water down paints. Not only does it make it much easier to paint with but allows for different results thsat you normally would not get. ie, glazing, blending etc.

glazing is an easy to do tech and brings great results.

Also, the new washes are the shit, I use them all the time.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:49 pm

A privateer press model for a dude. Meh.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:37 am

That new background is loads better Scott! I saw this fig with your old background on the WAMP site and to be honest it looked like a step backward for you, the highlights weren't there and it looked kinda flat but with this new background it is a whole new figure. Crisp, clean and great.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:29 pm

I thought I'd share this WIP. I'm doing a swap with a dude named Jarhead (Roman Lappat) from Germany and I am painting this guy. I'm really liking painting something not for a commission, where I have to get approval and stuff. It's pretty liberating painting colors I want to use again!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 5:23 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 19 1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 19  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top