Games this week

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Games this week

Post  nathanr on Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:03 am

Anyone want a game tonight or tomorrow night?

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Games this week

Post  JoeMisfeldt on Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:25 pm

How does Wednesday at 6 sound?

JoeMisfeldt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:51 pm

Sure sounds good to me.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:55 pm

i could play a game tonight what time works for you ??

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:21 pm

I've got some running around to do tonight if I'm playing Joe at 6 tomorrow. Plus the Den closes at 6 today so it probably wouldn't work anyway. I want to play you again though Dominique. Would tomorrow night work at all for you? I could play you after Joe finishes me off. Let me know.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:37 pm

ya that sounds good to me. what time, 730- 8ish you two should be done?
hopefully this time i put up more of a fight so the game is a little more interesting.

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:40 pm

I will be there tomorrow at 6 as well. The 40k guys probably won't like us trying to take over their day though. Razz

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:46 pm

They can suck it up!

And that sounds good Dominique, Joe and I should be wrapping up by 8 for sure.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:18 pm

Hey Joe, can you bring a 3000 point Vampires list for a second game? I want to have a go at it with something bizarre I am thinking of bringing to the tournament in Sept.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JoeMisfeldt on Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:28 pm

I have a hockey game at 9:30 Wed so would have to start packing up at 9 at the latest. If you think that would be enough time to try it out I could bring my new 3k list I've been toying with.

edit: I guess the den closes at 9 anyways so I'll bring my 3k list. Will this count as a league game or are you bringin WoC? Doesn't matter to me.

Last edited by JoeMisfeldt on Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total

JoeMisfeldt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:29 pm

I could arrange to have tomorrow night free if anyone else feels the need to roll against some dwarfs.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:44 pm

I would be bringing the WoC.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:59 pm

hey eric would you like to have that rematch tomorrow then? if you want i can
be there for 6 (or earlier) if so.

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:56 pm

Yeah, 6 would be great for me. I will see you then.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:29 pm

I played 2 games tonight, the first was against Joe's Vampire counts. It resulted in a massacre for him as I had nothing to counter his magic with. His vampire lord took the lore of beasts and my standard bearer's unit didn't move all game. I also failed some crucial psychology tests and was generally out-played. Neither of us was fully painted and it was not a ladder challenge. My next game was against Dominique's tomb kings. He brought a much better list than the last time I had faced him but I had also learned a bit since then. I played a smarter game than I had against Joe and the Tomb King magic wasn't nearly as devastating as that of the Vampires. I managed a massacre. Nobody was painted but it was a ladder challenge and I go up one spot on the ladder.

I enjoyed both games but the game against Joe really showed me the weaknesses in my army. I had no answers to his magic and my ignorance about his army also caused me to make some pretty stupid mistakes. I had assumed that his Varghulfs (he had 2) flew since they have wings and moved my units accordingly but I could have moved much less cautiously and still had the charge if I had known that they only have movement 8. He was able to raise far too many models for me to have any kind of chance of killing them off in one-on-one fights and his magic ensured that I could never charge with more than one unit. That combined with my bad psychology test rolls meant that I was on the defensive more often than the offense which is never a good thing with Bretonnians. Joe is a crafty general though and he just plain outplayed me as well.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:15 am

I had an incredibly bloody game against Dominique.
Models were getting killed on both sides from the first turn.

My S8 Assassin whallopped chariots, the Casket annihilated scores of guys, my Fellblade Master Assasssin demolished a Tomb King only to be struck down by THE CURSE!

At the end of the game, I had an untouched unit of Stormvermin, 2 units of 5 Night Runners (25 points! Woo Hoo!), a Wizard and half a unit of Gutter Runners.

Dominque had his Casket of Souls, his Ushabti and his catapult.

The result was a tie.

I then had Joe a 3000 point game in preparation for the September tournament.

I was rocking my Warriors of Chaos, with a Lord on Dagron, a couple units of Marauder Cav, 2 huge blocks of Warriors, a little bit of Knights, another Lord (general) in the infantry, a flying Tzeentch BSB and another flying Tzeentch Hero. Oh, and Festus.

He had a number of units of 20 Ghouls, a unit of Zombies, a two or three units of Bats, 2 Varghulfs and a Wolfstar. The Wolfstar was 15 Dire Wolves with champion joined by a mounted Vampire and a mounted Wight King BSB with Regen Banner.

He also had a Necromancer, a Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon and a flying Vampire Lord on a horse (the Vampire flew with a regular Nightmare in tow) carrying a suspicious lance (good thing I specifically asked about his WYSIWYG equipment or I might have taken a challenge with my Nurgle guy whose only real protection is the re-roll to hit armour).

Everything went exactly opposite to plan. I lost a unit of Marauder Cav to the bats, the Wolfstar flung itself forward to charge the Nurgle Warriors, who successfully fled away, leaving the Wolves an inch in front of my Dragron. My frenzied Deathstar was in perfect position for a flank charge on the Wolfstar until my Chaos Knights, fleeing from a Van Hels charged Zombie Dragon Lord (who would have broken the Knights and then ran into the Frenzied unit) fled just into the most awkward spot imaginable. The Zombie Dragon was to the Frenzied unit's left, the Wolfstar to the right, the Knights just in the middle, just close enough so that a wheel to either enemy would be impossible!

Figuring that the angle was bad news for the Frenzied unit, I cunningly charged Mr. Dagron into the front of the Wolfstar. Unfortunately he had moved a unit of bats into the way so I could only clip the unit - I should have tactically charged the bats and then just overran into the Wolves, but I didn't consider them even a threat worth dealing with. Big mistake - a bigger one was to come.

It turned out that the Frenzied unit couldn't charge either enemy, so the stupid Nurgle Lord (frenzied stupid Nurgle Lord) charged out of his unit and into the flank of the Wolves. I put him on a Palanquin to prevent that sort of garbage from happening!

Meanwhile my 2 Heroes on Discs charged into a unit of Ghouls and handily dealt with them.

In the combat phase, I stupidly issued a challenge with the Nurgle Lord, which meant that since the Vampire that accepted the challenge was the only model the Dagron Lord was touching (because of the stupid clip charge) then neither he nor his Dagron would be able to fight.

To add insult to stupid injury the Nurgle guy failed completely to hurt his opponent, taking a wound in return! I lost combat by 3 but passed both tests.

However from here, things turned totally in my favour. The only thing that went his way from here was Winds of Undeath which ended up killing a bunch of my guys, reducing both Tzeentch Heroes to 1 Wound by the end of the game, and summoning a ton of Ghosts.

The Vampire in the challenge failed 4 of his Strength tests (on a 6) next turn (I rolled an 11 on the Eye of the Gods table and turned it into a 12!), the Dragon Lord killed half a dozen wolves, even a charge from his Dreadlance guy (who killed the Dagron, but left Mr. Dagron - who promptly killed him back) could not turn the tide. My heroes just mulched his units faster than he could raise them, even though I was flanked and outnumbered, the kills were so high in my favour that nothing could hold back the tide.

The Frenzied warriors shredded a full unit of Ghouls in a turn, a Varghulf the next and were working their way through his Dragon Lord at the end of the game.

End result - Most likely a massacre in my favour. Who needs magic when you fight this hard?
I am not sure I can take a lot of credit for this one... My plan went totally askew and I made several bone-headed decisions that really could have cost me. Despite all this, my fighty guys just kept fighting and fought their way to a win.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JoeMisfeldt on Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:40 am

The first game against Nathan could have went either way in the beginning with him failing charges by less than 1" twice. One costed him his general to a hungry varghulf.

I have a question that came up that I wasn't sure which way to go with involving my flying lord mounted on a nightmare. Is a vampire with the Flying Horror bloodline (Grants Fly) able to join units? I know that a hellsteed (flying mount) mounted lord cannot.

In the game against Eric I played it that I couldn't join units. The discussion can really go either way but I would like to know which way the tournament (Ahem, Carson) would rule if the issue was brought up so that I can avoid a potential conflict or alter my list accordingly.

edit: Eric sent me a link to a discussion on the subject:

http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=62250

JoeMisfeldt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:38 pm

Sounds like lots of fun guys and some good games.

Good question Joe, I'll have to take a look see at the forums.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Kuyp on Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:29 pm

ya the game with eric i thought was going to end alolt worse for me, that scitter leap
spell with with the assassins, pretty deadly. and i forgott to do they my curse thing for
the other 2 prince that he picked off as well. it was a much better game than our previous
one.

in my and nathan game my head was way in the stars, i guess i wasn't paying attention
to his movement, if i had wtached i would have known not to charge but instead move up like
4 inches (out of his charge range but well in place for my charge next time) however i did get to
use my ssc on him this time, turn one shot against his pilgrims, 7 wounds + they fled.

Good games guys!

Kuyp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 6:47 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top