Orc and Goblin army

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Orc and Goblin army

Post  nathanr on Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:15 pm

For those of you who play orcs and goblins, I've been toying with army lists and came up with this:

Black orc warboss on a wyvern
Martog's Best Basha (+1WS,S,I)
Armour of Gork (+1T)
Bigged's Kickin' Boots (+1A)
Collar of Zorga (steeds, monsters and beasts pulling chariots hit on 6)

Black Orc Big Boss on a Boar
Shaga's Scramin' Sword (+1S, +1A for each enemy character within 12")

5 Wolf Riders w/ bows
5 Wolf Riders w/ bows
5 Wolf Riders w/ bows
5 Wolf Riders with shields and spears
5 Wolf Riders with shields and spears

5 Boar Boyz
9 Big-Un Boar Boyz
1 Boar Chariot
1 Boar Chariot

1 Giant
1 Giant

The army is all about speed which I'm not sure is a good thing with Orcs and goblins, but it hits hard with the 2 giants, general and chariots. I don't really have any plans to build an orc and goblin army but I think this is the type of army that I would build if I did. I know that boar boyz aren't really the best choice but I like the idea of them. Is the dual giant list alright or should I stick to the ineffective fast units and switch it to 2 pump wagons?

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Orc and Goblin army

Post  Carson on Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:35 pm

Very small and fragile for an O&G army. You'll quickly find that boarboys willnot work out and other than that your only hitting power is the characters. Giants are great for soaking up fire but rarely will break or destroy units.

Without being diplomatic at all I'd say that the list sucks Very Happy

love
Carson

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:15 pm

That is fair, it is one of those armies that looks good on paper or in my head. I've never played with orcs and goblins and I actually haven't played many games against them either.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:54 pm

Yeah, it's no good. You're trying to fly Orc's like they're Bret's and baby, they ain't Bret's.

The Wolf riders are fun, but with all those guys you'll find you run out of targets for them to work on. With too few things to work in tandem with them - Boar chariots are too slow compared to the rest of the army so it leave small boar boyz and the unpredictable combat scores of giants - they're gonna spend most of their game tripping over the other units.

Now, it could be fun as hell, but I think you'd get sick of it immediately. Things is too, it's SUCH a gimmick army that when it does work people will look at the fact you've got ALL the rare stuff, a Wyvern etc. and call you a turd. When you lose they'll say it's cause you suck. It's for sure one of them damned if you do type of lists.

The all mounted thingy COULD work IMO if you lost one or both giants and turned some of the wolf riders into the.... hard to type this without laughing.... "Heavy Cav" versions and slapped a character in each of two units of maybe 15 wolf riders.

With a 4+ save their not the worst vs. arrows. Lot's of them means your opponent likely can't just shoot some random unit of ten archers and make you panic, and the 18" charge range means that when you're not rolling ones for aniumosity you pick the fights.

Also spder riders are great, and their ignore terrain rules makes your own deployment less tricky if the table has a little clutter on it.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:28 am

I have played a few games with my o and g stuff and I have found that no matter the list o and g seems to be a fun and wreckless type of army to play. I have tried the double giants before with my ogres and they work alright as long as they make it to combat and are not both in the same fight.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:49 pm

I think I see your point Scott, the chariots probably shouldn't be in a calvary army since they can't march. I should have remembered that rule but I never use chariots so it slipped my mind. They would probably be better suited in an infantry army. I'll work out an exact list for an infantry army eventually but my general idea is this:

Same characters but on foot.
Savage Orc big-uns
Goblin wolf riders for flanking/march blocking/war-machine hunting
Night goblins with nets and fanatics x2
Black orcs x2 with a character in each
boar chariots x2 - is it worth it to add the 3rd crew member?
Giant
Trolls

I have no idea what the points are on that, probably way too many. I'd drop the giant or trolls (or both) if needed. What is the nominal unit size for orc infantry? 20 or 25? I'd probably take units of 25-30 goblins with 3 fanatics in each. The idea would be to set up in a tiered formation suited to having the front-line troops either flee from the charge or get broken and flee and then counter-charge with the more dangerous units behind. If the opponent doesn't take the bait I can always WAAAGH! up into a more formal line of battle. So what do you think? Should I have magic? Should I take some ranged war machines or archers of some sort? Most of this is just theory-hammer but my brother is making an orc and goblin army and I may use it from time to time. It is such a fun-looking army with tons of character!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:55 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top