Uocoming Calgary Events

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Uocoming Calgary Events

Post  TheWade on Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:40 pm

Hey, just in case anybody is interested in making a road trip. Here is the list of upcoming events in Calgary.

July 25, Southcenter Mall - Hosted by Great White Games
Entry Fee: $20
Max Entrants: 12 maybe 16
Four games, 1999 points, army must be painted

Octo-Con - Hosted by Rob Kuster
Date to be announced but it's either the 17th or the 24th.

Conquest Calgary - Hosted by a couple of GW hobbyists...for those who've been to Calgary before it's little little tiny asian girl and her husband
Two 2000 point tournaments...6 games over 2 days on the weekend of November 7 and 8
You can participate in the no holds barred 2000 point double elimination tournament with no soft scores, generalship only. Army must still be painted.
Or, you can participate in the 2000 point "Quest League" in which all your typical soft scores are present and weigh heavily in the scoring. Generalship in this tournament will only be worth 1/3 of the point totals.

Hope some of you can make it out.

TheWade

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Uocoming Calgary Events

Post  squalie on Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:07 pm

I'm going to the Octo-con. It was just too much fun last year to miss out. I'd definitely come to the weekend Nov event, but I'd need a corner of your living room to sleep on Wade!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheWade on Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:49 pm

Mi casa es su casa.

TheWade

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:22 pm

Ha Ha Don, Wade told you to suck his ass!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheWade on Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:38 pm

Shhhh....

...don't warn him, I like it to be a surprise.

TheWade

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:17 pm

Hey cool! Maybe I don't HAVE to sleep on the floor!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  RickyDMMontoya on Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:51 pm

I'll be in for Octo-Con for sure.
1999 points hey? Interesting. Horrible, but interesting.

RickyDMMontoya

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:34 pm

Alex and Rob, from Moose Jaw are going to Octo-con.

Radom, start practising your keyboard skills right now.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheWade on Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:39 pm

Just a little more info on the November tournament which is looking to be an amazing event.

"Hi Everyone

The $80 reg covers the cost of the 2 days. You'll be getting 6+ games in either the Quest or Conquer league, open gaming on Saturday night, and catered lunch on both days. The venue is quite large - if you're familar with FallCon, it's been hosted there. It's at least the size of the Radisson (where Robert Kuster's events are held) and most likely much bigger, but you'll have to forgive me because my spacial skills are plain awful (as an aside, that's also why you never see me play Fantasy - I can't guess a range to save my life and I can't visualize charge range at all).

We're hoping for 80 gamers, and got a hall appropriately sized.

The Conquer League is a double elimination style tournament - you actually play 6+ games, but after 2 losses, you get "knocked out" from being contender for the top prize in that league. (depending on the number of players, there may also be "pull-ups" from knocked-out competitors who'll get a second birth as a contender.) There are going to be other prizes within the league, however. I've posted the details up on the site.

The Quest League is pretty straightforward - the scoring system is different but it'll play very similar to the HOH tournaments we're accustomed to.

Edited to add: Part of the reg is also going to prizes. Nathan and I have a small pile of HOH trophies sitting collecting dust on our desks. We're not fans
of trophies and would rather have gotten product, as some of the tournaments we've attended have given. So part of that reg is also going to purchase good prizes. We're also going to have door prizes (again, not-lame prizes) to give away through player draws."

The link to their site is www.conquest-calgary.com

TheWade

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:59 pm

Wellllll...... not to sound defeatist but I am not sold on this event. So far it sounds like people who have a visualization of the kind of event they want to go to, but don't seem to have too much planned yet. I'll wait and see but it's likely that I would have to choose between this and Kuster's event, and I will always bank on Rob Kuster.

I also VASTLY prefer trophies vs. product. Most gamers I know have boxes of unpainted stuff and most prizes tend to just add to the meaningless collection of plastic and lead. I would ratehr have the meaningless pile of trophies (which I do have, 'cause I'm the shit.).

A hall that is like totally more rad then Kusters hasn't sold me either. We'll see though. 80 gamers sounds ambitious and I wish them luck. I know the difficulties in planning an event of that scale.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheWade on Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:43 am

I see your point. And seriously, I have the luxury of going to both so if you can't make it you can't make it.

Kuster's events are always rock solid, and I wouldn't miss one for the world...much like Carson's...tried and true and definately worth planning a trip around.

This one though, I know the people who are putting it together, and they're pretty well connected in both Calgary and Edmonton. The hall has been used before to host CalCon every year, so it is definately gamer friendly. It's a hall...that probably means one can bring...beer. To the event. Bet you didn't think of that did you now Mr. Radom.

It's not my job to sell it though, and it'll be whatever it ends up being. Any event I participate in that includes the Saskatoon crowd is one I absolutely enjoy so I would definately regret not inviting you all out. More events means more and better events for everyone...so I'll continue to hype up whatever we've got out here for you all no matter what.

Seriously, you know it'll be better than the Red Deer tournament.

TheWade

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:00 pm

Yeah I didn't want to sound too negative, but it sounded more like the "We're having the rad-est con times 100!" enthusiasm that seems to peter out IMMEDIATELY after the get confronted with details. I may see about attending both. With work being less demanding and the fact I got a new piece of shit van makes trips easier too.

But I for sure want to hit up Kusters. I'm going to try and enter the painting contests he usually has.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheWade on Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:51 pm

Oh, and hey...one more thing I forgot to mention.

I too have a load of HoH trophies lying around...if you ever win stuff and you want to trade it for trophies...I'm your man!

TheWade

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:50 pm

I'd love to hit all of them but I'm saving my roadtrip for Kusters OctoCon.....can't wait!

Anybody now which armies they'll bring this time around. I'm thinking Darkelves but I would prefer to bring Chaos or Empire.....I know I won't have Chaos painted by then.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:49 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top