Scott's Orc & Goblin Generals

Post  ScottRadom on Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:12 am

Here's some pic's. C&C welcome!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Scott's Orc & Goblin Generals

Post  Carson on Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:14 pm

We'll the pictures don't do them justice. They really are even better work face to face. You should have kept a running total of enemy or friendly kills for your black orc generals. Mine are around the 60-40 mark. I know from experience that your warboss on foot is probably around 20-80. What a Face Shocked No

carson

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:36 am

Those are really well done, I'm tempted to collect an Orc army just for the fun models to paint, but then I remember that my painting skills are not at this level. My armies are better viewed from a distance. How do you get such clear pictures? Mine always end up either blurry or washed-out if I put on the flash to get better focus.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:41 am

We got a decent camera, I don't think it's anywhere near the quality you could buy today. We got it when we were expecting our first kid and it was about 400$ four years ago. I'm sure the same camera would go for about 200$ today.

You should be using the "Digital Macro" setting on your camera. On mine it's a little flower icon. Never use the flash! It will just wash out all detail on your model and put shadows where you don't want. If I was serious I would have a little light booth set up (Basically three light sources of equal intensity coming from three different angles.)

I'm not all that serious about it though. I had toyed with selling stuff online but I don't know that you get what you put into things. My buddy Kieran, who is a very skilled painter, was telling me tales about selling like 2 squads of well painted marines for 35$.

Right now I am just enjoying throwing things online and getting feedback of all types.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:18 pm

You'll never get out what you put into these figs. I did a bit o' homework and came to the conclusion that if you went on Bartertown, bought some cheap character figs (Beastlord, command units, Heroes, or single Monsters) you can make some money. But if you paint well, you still have to remind yourself that you're making a little bit of money just doing your hobby.

I have seen well-painted Giants usually going for around $100.00. If I painted a Giant to the best of my ability, I would feel a little cheated making only $40.00 from all my effort. I have often been tempted to purchase a well-painted fig on ebay if it's only a 50% mark-up from buying it new -- would save me a TON of time.

And slightly off topic: If I had a dime for every "pro-painted" or "master-class" fig on ebay, I wouldn't have to work. Absolutely drives me nuts how people over-value their painting ability. I am told I paint well. That just means they look fine on a gaming table. I feel I am capable of 7/10 work. MAYBE 8/10 if I put my soul (and 100 hours) into it, and I don't feel I have EVER done, or will do, 8/10 work. Do people realize what it takes to honestly do 10/10 work?! That is the kind of job where I look at it and couldn't even tell you how they DID that effect! 9/10 and 10/10 is reserved for the true "master" and "pro" painters. I need a flippin' chart just to remind me how I painted my Beast herds last time! Rolling Eyes It seems anyone capable of holding a brush is a pro these days.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:10 pm

Holy Jebus, I hope I didn't offend anyone. My rant against "pro painters" wasn't against anyone here, I was just talking about things I notice on ebay. Man, am I a thread killer or what?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:58 pm

No you didn't kill the thread.

I hear and understand your comments about pro painters on eBay. Nor do I consider myself a pro painter. I would rate my best efforts maybe a 7/10 on the sort of scale used at coolminiornot.com and am happy with that. I am always looking to improve! Any tips or techniques anyone got out there? Let's spread some knowledge up in this bitch.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:09 pm

No I get what you meant. I surf ebay quite a bit looking for deals......everyone is a pro painter. Lately I almost feel like I've hit the wall in painting or more properly improving my painting. Not sure how to change this or if it is the case at all.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:05 pm

Painted up this Avatars of War fellow. Pretty cool fig!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:29 pm

Scott, I think that the Orc General on the Boar is the coolest thing you've done. I've spent a lot of time looking at just those pictures. Fantastic Job.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:17 pm

squalie wrote:Scott, I think that the Orc General on the Boar is the coolest thing you've done. I've spent a lot of time looking at just those pictures. Fantastic Job.

It's a cool fig but I am not currently satisfied with the paint job. If I ever used this model I would probably strip it down and redo it. Thanks though! I'll take it as an extreme compliment!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:06 pm

I am blown away by the quality of painting I have seen so far just out of the Saskatoon group. There is alot of nice stuff and I am slow to paint anything bc I am trying to learn how to do a good job, so far I can't even come close to whats out there. I hate doing things twice and would rather take my time than paint up some game ready figs in a hurry just to have them painted. By all means lets share some techniques. Are people using magnfying glasses to paint? I have a hard time making drybrushing work for me and the washes I find don't give me the results I want. Again really impressive stuff out there!

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:22 pm

I'm going to start a thread on this in another section. Check it out in the general painting area!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 10:37 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top