AoW Orc Shaman

View previous topic View next topic Go down

AoW Orc Shaman

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:31 am

Hey, I got two of these models and I wanted to try working on my red's on this one. I for sure won't paint the cloak red on the next guy, but I wanted to get one of these guys done for eBay and try using some of the advice I have been given on shading and highlighting red. The shading on the red is done with Vallejo Black Red (It's a dark red.... who'd have thought?) and a P3 Coal Black which is like a black blue/green. It's been suggested many times over that I use a green or a blue to shade reds and this is my first crack at it. The red has also been highlighted up to bronzed flesh but it seems the pic's are knocking out most of that. Other then that the pic's are pretty close.

Thoughts so far?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: AoW Orc Shaman

Post  nathanr on Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:36 pm

The red is looking quite good so far Scott, like you said the highlights aren't showing up in the picture so I'm going to trust that they are there. The blue/green shading gives it a very deep shadow which is nice. I would definitely blend to a faded brown around the bottom edges of the cloak since it is very ratty-looking and probably filthy! I look forward to seeing the progress on this guy.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:57 pm

Skin and mouth looking really good but I'm defo not a fan of the red, probably cuz I hate red on Orcs. It seems a bit to bright but as its a wip I'm sure the end product will look better. I agree with Nathan in dirty"n up the robe. Red is defo a hard one for me too, I find it either looks too clean and bright or just odd color wise.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:49 pm

I think I might try some MiG pigments on the robe bottom. Good point guys!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:59 pm

Finished. I used some weathering pigments on the hem of the cape but they appeared to ahve been eaten by my camera. I have another one to paint at some point and I WON'T be using these colors again for sure!

And this pic was light corrected, I just want to see the difference in the reaction.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:42 pm

It isn't your best work (your empire captain was much better) but if nothing else it is a good attempt at learning some new red tech. The shading on the cape is really deep and the blue/green makes it look more natural which is a good thing. The transition is pretty abrupt though which makes it look a bit messy. It suits this tattered cloak alright but it would look a bit off on something like the empire captain's cape. It could still use some more highlights I think as the bottom edges of the cloak look a bit flat. It is a hard model for that though, the tattered edges makes it really hard to visualize where the highlights and shadows should be. In total though, it is an excellent paint job. Par for the course for you though, I want to see something amazing!

I think you need to try to go really over the top on your next model, see if you can get people to say "less highlights please" because that seems to be the biggest suggestion that you seem to get.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:21 pm

great job on everything but the cloak just dosn\'t do it for me. Sorry no helpful suggestions here oh great tirelifter!

You know Scott, you should post an old Orc paint job compared to your most recent.......bet you\'d be amazed how far you painting has come.

Last edited by Carson on Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:22 pm

Why do you keep calling him tirelifter? I call him stomach-puller!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:24 pm

I guess more correct would be oh great wheel lifter......it did have the rim to be sure.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:53 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top