New stuff for the site?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New stuff for the site?

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:34 pm

Hey guys.

First off let me apologize fro not making the tourney. I got hammered and my feeble body couldn't get up and go like the good ole days. And I hurt myself pretty bad winning a bet doing a sit up with a truck tire on my chest. My bad, dogs. I miss you. Most of you. Well..... some of you, anyways.

So there is more enthusiasm on the site then there has been in a little while. That's great! While I have stepped back from the gaming side fo the hobby I've really involved myself in the painting side of things and it's great to see that no matter how awesome and important I am, everyone is still having fun without me. Who could've imagined?

Anyway, is there anything you guys can think of that would help keep this momentum going around here? Anything you guys would like to see? I would like to see some painting challenges, like maybe "Paint a General" or a Battle standard or something. Maybe some "Blister pack duels!" where you buy two blister packs and throw one them in two seperate boxes. You pick one pack out of box "a" and get paired off against the person who buys your pack. winners get a random pack from box "b" when the time is up? I just made that up, but it sounds like an amazing experience! Stuff like that I like, and would be happy to organize.

What other web oriented stuff would you guys like to see? I like the number or posts we're seeing and would like to keep it up. Good job gang.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New stuff for the site?

Post  nathanr on Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:44 pm

I think July should be "Paint a character" month! I'd be down for more contests and such, especially if there was some sort of prize attached I think it would boost activity. You could possibly even put league points up for grabs, not many but say 3 points for the winner and 1 point for participation. The blister duel sounds interesting, maybe attach it to a tournament or megabattle day or something.

This is definitely one of my favorite sites on the internet and I'm liking the increased activity as well. Lets keep it up!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:56 pm

Good thought about running the contest parrallel to the league. We will start the first paint thingy at the start of the next league. Hope Carson is cool with that! Also I'll fanagle some sort of prize for a character painting contest. I'd like to have two, one for a winner and one for a random participant. Something to encourage entry I hope.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:12 pm

I think it's good that even Moose Jaw, Calgary and wherever the hell Paul's from are almost "locals" for this site. A few boys around Moose Jaw are pretty pissed they haven't come to the tourny's and I think it's just a matter of time that we have a couple more joining in. I like the fact that I can put a face to most names and I can say that I actually like everyone -- I haven't had a bad game yet, not even close.

I REALLY need to get painting if I'm going to win next league with 3000+ points of WoC, so the "paint-200-points-a-month-thingy" that we did before, that I failed miserably on, is still a good idea.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:27 am

I never seem to have any time for full out painting but I would be interested in doing a single lord/hero painting contest.

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:50 pm

all good ideas here....me likey

How about this? painting challenge winner moves up 2 spots on the ladder and recieves 5points.

I like the idea of character challenge for the first one starting in July with the league kickoff.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:16 pm

I like it! I also think that the winner of a painting competition should have to sit the next one out to ensure that the same person is not winning over and over. I think that might help to boost participation. Of course that could result in 2 people winning over and over but it at least gives everyone a fighting chance.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mhael on Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:14 pm

I am starting today when should we set the deadline? Also I think that these figs should be judged live instead of via interweb pics!

Mhael

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:51 pm

Live is going to be tough. July entry by the end of July.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:03 pm

We had a painting forum that has kinda dried up in the past few months that ran a monthly painting competition. Initially the entries were supposed to be done online but it is quite difficult to get consistant pictures as some people know how to take better pictures than others (and have the equipment to do it). A bad picture can ruin a good paint job and a good picture can make a mediocre paint job look better than it is.

That said, it is pretty hard to do it any other way. If you collect all the entries at one location so that people can view them in person (say at the Den) then I think you will find that people just don't get around to dropping off their minis or come back to look at the other entries. If we have pictures of all the entries online for everyone to see at a click then it makes it way easier to judge. I am planning on buying a decent photo-taking rig in the near future so if anyone is having trouble taking decent pictures I will volunteer to take pictures for you. Having pics online also allows us to include out of towners like Don.

If anyone has any better ideas then post them here!

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:25 pm

The painting challenge I was talking about was to help boost forum activity, so it would be online. That's the goal, more posts, more interest, more chatter.

Part of the problem with the aformentionde SWAMP site was it was a painting site with few pics and lots of "Check it out for yourself and see" which makes for poor eTalk. If taking poor pictures is the problem then we can always chat back and forth about how to take better pics, and anyone willing can always come use my tent and lights as I am usually around as well.

As for starting.... hang on hoss! Let's get to agreeing what we're doing first! I like Nathan's suggestion about winner sitting out, but I think more then that the winner should have to do something more to keep interest be it help pick winners in the next round or help decide on a theme or whatever. Here's what I've found does work....

-Contests with very open and liberal themes that all participants can take part in without really painting something that would be outside their schedule. Themes like "General: and stuff. Too specific will likely exclude many.

-One month deadlines. No more, no less, with a short break to figure a winner. One week tops. One month may seem like a long time to paint a model but in reality if you've got other stuff like life or even other projects for your hobby then it's easy to sneak some time in every couple of nights.

Anything else? Does this sound like a good theme for the first Ravening Hordes Paint Challenge....

"Character" is the theme for the first month. Mounted on a playable base, a legal army book selection depicted. Runs from July 1-july 30th with a winner crowned Aug7th by a three poll system. Each poll will ask people to vote for there first, their second, and their third choice. 5 points for each First vote, 3 for second and 1 for third. Winner will get to choose the theme (From a list the entrants will compile!) for the next round. Winner of the contest will recieve no points for entering the next round but should get some kind of fun, or at least perk for entering.

How's that?

Anything else we should be looking to add?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:33 pm

Sounds good, I shall be painting up one of the new Empire Character figs.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:10 pm

Okay people have had plenty of time for their character figs. On tuesday the votey poll will go up. So far I believe It's Eric, Carson, Myself, and Nathan with entries. Anyone wanting to enter or having already done so should put a thread in the "painting and modeling" section with "my character entry" or something like that ASAP. Don't miss out on league points y'all!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:54 pm

What's the theme for the next challange? Have we decided how it's going to work?

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:05 pm

Just put a blurb down in the appropriate section. Grats Don, really, really liked your entry!

So Dom get's to pick the next theme. If he can't work something out by monday-ish then the theme will be chosen by the Radominator.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 12:23 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top