Empire Captain

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Empire Captain

Post  ScottRadom on Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:07 pm

Love this new fig. I am tempted to keep this one, as I love the model and have always wanted an excuse to paint an Empire army. Ack, we'll see. Anyway, I thought I'd do this as a WIP thread here and see what people are up to and get some feedback onthis bastard. This is him with the face and eyes done, the hair is just basecoated. I may do him as a grey haired veteran instead. When doing something like this what I try to do is keep the hair color unique on the model. Black hair, no black on the model, red hair, no red on the model etc. as it tends to help draw attention to the face and cement it as a focal point, but with the odds and ends on this guys I think it'd be hard an unreasonable to not put brown on this guy. I will have to think. The base is done as well, I'll get a better pic of it next time.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Empire Captain

Post  Carson on Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:20 pm

I'm getting concerned, your painting skills are really getting good and your leaving me behind, awesome skin tone on this guy.
BTW the new Empire minis are fantastic. Best way to build Empire now is to buy the entire army all at once and then mix and match the various bits......everything is pretty much plastic and interchangeable.

Oh, red or yellow for hair always seems to draw my eyes to the face of a model.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:06 am

Skin was quick and easy. I had it basecoated but everything else, except the damn eyes (Which look a little wonky if you see them both together, I blame the sculpt!) I did while on the phone with you (15 minutes for those who aren't Carson).

Started from a base of Vallejo Model color Med fleshtone. Then I applied a wash of VMC Black red thinned about 7:1ish. Did this in a couple passes using a hairdryer on low to speed up the drying time. Then it's just layers of Med fleshtone, VMC Flat Flesh, then 1:1 VMC Flat Flesh and VMC Light flesh then the light flesh all on it's own. 15 min start to finish. easy.

Oh yeah, this place is a buddy of mine's site. He's a hippy, but this is one stop shopping for hair color recipes....

http://web.mac.com/matthewbraid/Concept_becomes_Creation/Hair_Swatches1.html

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:20 pm

A little more work done. I changed his hair color to a black grey thing instead of the brown I had originally planned. Here he is so far.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:32 pm

hey are you base coating with white completely now and if so how come?

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:46 pm

No, I am using grey primer. I switched from black for two reasons. Most important is that with black I was missing a lot of mold lines and stuff. Even primed I couldn't often make them out, and with grey primer it's easier.

Secondly I like putting paint over the grey. It's much easier to do a red over a grey then it is over a black. I am not a fan of pure white thiough, I just find I have the same sort of problems with the black primer, only with the other end of the spectrum like painting blacks and stuff.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:41 pm

The cape looks great, but I think I like the brown hair...sorry. How in the hell you got that white dot on the eye is beyond me.

I tried using white primer on a fig that I wanted to do for a display fig and I was completely lost. Too many years using black to just switch overnight.

I'm getting concerned, your painting skills are really getting good and your leaving me behind, awesome skin tone on this guy.

Carson's right, you can see your progress from earlier threads -- keep going.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Luckless Diceman on Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:11 am

That looks great Scott. I am also wondering how you got the little white dot on the eye. Grey primer, I never thought of that before. I have also had my share of missed details on some things using black primer and having to go over them again but I always thought it was my age telling me something (probably is) maybe I should give grey primer a go. I like this WIP and look forward to it's progress just like all the other projects you Saskatchewan lads seem to have going on. Very Happy

Luckless Diceman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:16 am

thanks guys.

The white dot is actually not so much a chore. When I do eyes I put down a layer of black over the whole enchilada, then a layer of white leaving a little black around the edges for definition, then add a black pupil. So the white was just left there.

Here's a good tip! I heard this and tried it and it worked! When painting the pupil of the second eye on models turn ther model up side down. For whatever reason it's a lot easier to avoid the google-eye's when this is done like this. Amazing brain stuff!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:38 pm

A little more work tonight. Got the arms and the wrap thingy done as well as some odd's and ends.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:42 pm

Done. Any C&C?

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:01 pm

Very nice, but I think the blue needs....something, just don't know what. Really like what you did with the sword -- Close enough to NMM that I can almost tease you about it!

Good to see you're still interested in the hobby. SLAM!

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:16 pm

I think it looks excellent, the back of the sword looks rushed though, the front of it looks great though. Maybe it is just the angle of the second picture but it just doesn't look quite right.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheWade on Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:08 pm

His feet are too big.

TheWade

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:15 pm

You know what they say; Big feet, big...sword.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:24 pm

TheWade wrote:His feet are too big.

Better for kicking ass.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheWade on Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:53 pm

Kicking ass...is that possible when lying on your back in a pool of your own...

Definately missed ya on Sunday Scott, but the model is amazing. My new work in progress pictures...

Wade goes to ATM.

Wade calls Scott and places an order.

Wade sends Scott his asking price.

Wade watches the mail with anticipation.

Wade shows up and claims the paint job as his own.

TheWade

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:12 am

You're money is always good with me sir!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Luckless Diceman on Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:09 am

Love the skin tones on the face makes him look real. Very nicely done overall as usual.
L. Cool

Luckless Diceman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:54 pm

Yeah, awesome work. The only part I could crit would be the larger areas of the armour. I think a bit more shadow around the larger areas would bring it out more.

You have inspired me o' tirelifter!

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  TheWade on Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:39 pm

I am definately not above paying for painting services...especially as my body betrays me more and more every day.

LOL...ask Eric about the fountain that was my forehead on Sunday.

TheWade

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:50 pm

Thought I'd hijack Scotts thread with my version of the Empire Captain painted in my armies colors. Nowhere near as good as Scotts but here it is. C&C?

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:07 pm

I like it but it looks really glossy. Are all your empire models glossy?

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:48 pm

Blast it with some Testor's Dullcote availabel from the den. Too bright!

The paint quality is fine, from what I can tell, but you really need to tone down that varnish. What are you using? No doubt it's going to be durable, but do a 2nd or third light layer of the dull stuff over top.

Some general crit's would be that I can see strokes in the cape. I think you can water your paint down a little more and work it using really small amounts of paint on your brush and very light pressure. I've found that just about the right pressure for me is to the point where the brush barely bends much at all, especially for the final layers of blending. We'll have to get together that week you're off so I can show you in your face what I mean.

It's good, but I think you can do better on your next one for sure. I like the color choice and the dark-light choices and stages for the cloak are very good. I'd like to see some more fine highlights in certain areas like parts of the sash and the gloves.

Reading it make sit sound like I am hacking on you, but these are minor points on a good model!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Carson on Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:13 pm

Its GW's flat varnish. For some reason the photos really glossed it up.

Good points Scott, I'm looking forward to my week off so we can do a day of paintin.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 8:53 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top