Painter/Gamer or Gamer/painter?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Painter/Gamer or Gamer/painter?

Post  ScottRadom on Thu May 21, 2009 10:41 pm

This continues the discussion we were having in the Project blog's area under Don Matwe's Chaos army blog.....

Okay, so we're talking about improving our own painting, and getting models done for the game, and sort of what the happy medium is between the two.

I guess it all depends what your goals are. My warhammer "crisis of faith" occured after Eric told me to post pic's of my Great Unclean One on Cool mini or not. It scored well, and is still after about 50 models one of my best scores from the voters there, but I got hooked, BAD. Initially I thought like all gamers think. "Sure, that looks nice but who wants to spend a month and a half on a single fig?". So I went for the happy medium. I stole techniques I thought looked good, and could be done quick-ish. My painting time on a single RnF fig still tripled from about 1hr up to about 3 hrs. Meaning to get a 20 man unit done in a month I had to try and find 60 waking hours without babies, wife, work, or sleep and that crap getting in the way which was tough. Let alone getting stuff done faster or painting a character model.

But on I went, infiltrating the four corners of the internet painting community (I must say almost universally they were and are an amazingly helpful and encouraging lot. You'd never know these guys compete against each other man!) at the same time trying to become one of them, but still thumbing my nose at their ridiculous notions of painting one model every one to three months.

So I ripped off the good gamer level painting tips, applied them to my models (at the time these were the dwarfs I was painting) and I got better results. But not that good. So I wanted more. I wanted to paint better then I was, but I was still scoffing at the tips I was getting. When you want to play a game on friday with your shiny still in the blister fig it's not possible to listen to the multiple slayer sword winners tip to use "Regressive multiple glazes" on the metal for your dwarf. So I still scoffed at them. And then my scores quit getting better. My models didn't look any better at all. I had stalled very quickly and there was little hope for me to get out.

So I poked around for a bit and found some threads from a few people at the same place I was and the genius suggestion to paint something unrelated to any game you've ever played that has no predetermined image in your mind about what it's "supposed" to look like. It is probably the best tip I've ever heard for a gamer/painter who wants to learn more. It's genius.

So I tried a Spartan fig of Leonidas. I still had the notion of how it was supposed to look from "300" and stuff, so maybe not a great choice, but I had no problem trying new stuff on the fig. It was NEVER going to be on a table so I didn't have to match it to anything. I painted it to the best of my ability and I threw it out there for comments. I got them in spades, and most were encouraging, but not good. And unfortunately right on the money. So I had to do another fig to get better using the new and improved tech I had been given, and so on and so on.

So unfortunately now painting is a much higher priority for me then gaming, so beware to any who follow the path I did. Improving gets VERY addictive, and it's hard to do in the confines of the army style set up of Warhammer.

And getting better is really, really do-able. The internet, DvD's, all that jazz allows you to get AMAZING hands on tips. You won't like the sound of them to begin with. Think I had an easy time of it glazing my first mini with purple, seeing as it's the last step and could completely ruin the model? I was advised to put a layer of, no shit here, lighter fluid on my models to hold down the MiG pigment product I had put on it. That was a tough one. Here's one.... When painting steel one guy advised putting a wash of gold color paint over it as the final step. Tried it.... looks awful, but I tried it.

It's amazing but it's all available to us to get out there and get answers and tips from the VERY best on the planet. I get frequent advice and crit's from Slayer sword winners, the Eavy Metal team, Gold Medal winners from the World expo of miniatures (Like a games day without being tied to GW, and not specifically gamer related). It's something else.

Another thing that happened to me is that since I got used to painting mini's I was never gonna use I found it pretty easy to part ways with them. So hello eBay and painting commissions and stuff. I haven't actually painted a model just for me and not for a competition, a customer, or for eBay in several months. It may sound sad but I am loving it. I even got a fancy logo and a website being built. Pretty goddamn pretentious but I am enjoying it.

This really seems to have been a long winded and prechy post. Ah well.

So I'm coming up on one year out there in painting land and I think I've gotten better. I am not an expert by any means and I still have about a million miles to go to get where I want but I can share what I have learned any time. But the real deal is if people really, really want to get amazing results or improve a little you're better off going to the horses mouth at places like coolminiornot.com or wamp@servgame.org and get ready to have your eyes opened, it's something.

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Painter/Gamer or Gamer/painter?

Post  Carson on Sun May 24, 2009 8:26 pm

we'll to continue from the other thread I'd say I'm defo a gamer/painter. Right now I'm trying to hit the happy medium of liking and improving the painting work I do but at the same time painting for the love of the game itself.

I find it REALLY hard to paint figs that I will never use. That being said I am always looking to improve my skills but always keeping in mind that my goal is paint armies and not a handful of figs over the course of a year. I admire and love looking at the incredible paint jobs on the net and magazines and strive to achieve a skill at least close to that BUT it comes second to the goal of having great looking ARMIES.

Actually another category I would add is "army builder". Its one of my favourite things with the hobby.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Tue May 26, 2009 1:09 pm

I don't know what I would call myself as I enjoy both painting and gaming almost equally....and get frustrated by both equally.

I love gaming, but HATE playing with unpainted figs. I love painting, but get impatient and cut corners when I paint, therefore not having the paint job that I wanted on the figs when I'm gaming. Then when someone compliments I think to myself "geez, I really shoulda' went the extra mile". Laziness.

I just have so many interests that I don't know where to start sometimes. I have a stack of Star Wars models that I've always wanted to finish, drawings that I want to finish, an old car in the garage that I love to work on, movies (and series) that I've been downloading that I'll probably never get to, comics that are still sealed, a brand new drum set that I have been destroying and a wall covered in GW figs that I have to come to terms with.

I really, really love the hobby, but there isn't anyone around here to game with! I have to drive to Saskatoon to get some games in, which means I have become a painter almost exclusively. When I painted my Beasts I painted each fig "on it's own", meaning that I didn't initially have a theme. I just painted them in whatever struck my fancy at the time. The WoC I'd really like to have a theme but I'm reluctant to touch brush to fig until I have something locked in my head. Black can be boring, but red's too much. I'd like the look of a Tzeentch army, but the mark isn't that great...oh, by the way -- I can be indecisive. Very Happy

My wife and I actually sat down the other night and worked out our weekly schedule. Hers is something like this:
Mon - "Us" night.
Tues - Spin class (think exercise bikes)
Wed - Yoga
Thurs - Spin class
Fri - Yoga

Here's mine:
Mon - "Us" night.
Tues - Painting
Wed - Drums
Thurs - Painting
Fri - car/garage.

What's that Mars/Venus book called? Rolling Eyes You couldn't get more dichotomy if you tried.

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Tue May 26, 2009 1:41 pm

That's what the Ukranian whore said to me after I nailed her then started haggling the price...

"Hey.... get your Dich-oto-mee"!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  squalie on Wed May 27, 2009 10:27 am

I guess we should start a bad joke thread.

I guess after that one we'd have to start a VERY bad joke thread. Wink

squalie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 1:28 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top