Different Dwarf List

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Different Dwarf List

Post  nathanr on Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:33 am

I'm playing some fun games today with my brother and cousin, my brother has kind of lost interest in his Bretonnians so he is starting up with Orcs and Goblins. I figured that since it won't count for the league anyway I would dust off the dwarfs. I wanted something completely different than I usually take so I came up with this list. It is probably crap but that is ok, it will be fun:

Characters:
Dragon Slayer with a rune axe that gives +2A and +1S
Dragon Slayer with a rune axe that gives +1A and +1S and counts as a great weapon
Master Engineer with the ASF rune, +1S and +1 AS - General
Thane BSB with rune axe which eliminates AS, +1S and Gromril armor with +1AS rune

Core:
12 thunderers w/ shields
12 thunderers w/ shields
10 quarrellers w/ Great weapons and shields

Special:
2 bolt throwers - 1 with an engineer, both have +1 S and one is flaming
5 Giant Slayers (that is correct, I upgraded them all)
5 Giant Slayers (Each of these units is led by a dragon slayer)
19 Ironbreakers (this unit gets the BSB

Rare:
Gyrocopter
Organ Gun

The giant slayers are a bit rediculous but I included them for fun, plus they pack an incredible punch in a very small package. One of those units can toss out 15 WS5 S4 or 10 WS5 S6 attacks, then the Dragon slayers add their attacks too! The units are small enough that I should be able to shelter them a little bit from shooting too. The gyrocopter is something I've never used and I'm interested to see what it can do. I'm relying pretty heavily on my shooting to win the day for me, although my ironbreakers should do alright too. I'll let you know how it goes.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Different Dwarf List

Post  Carson on Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 pm

I think you'll love the gyrocopter for march blocking. Looks like a fun list. Its cool to try shit out like that sometimes.

Carson
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri May 01, 2009 2:55 pm

Unfortunately the gyrocopter died in turn 1 due to shooting (who would have thought goblin spear chukkas would hit?)

Can units that are less than US5 marchblock? It never came up due to the gyrocopter dying quickly and I hardly ever get a chance to marchblock with the dwarfs so I don't even know the answer to that one.

The Slayers did well, but probably not well enough to justify the massive amount of points I invested in them (something like 260 for 10 giant slayers and then 120 for each dragon slayer for a grand total of 500 points for 12 models). Some things I would change about the list: drop the quarrellers, master engineer and the slayers in favor of another solid block or two (or three) of infantry and possibly swap the gyrocopter out for a second organ gun or a flame cannon. It starts looking like my regular list, but with significantly better shooting which I think was the key to the success of this new list.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ScottRadom on Fri May 01, 2009 4:10 pm

That list looks awful. Fun, but awful!

ANY enemy regardless of US can march block. The lone infiltrating US1 can get you there.

What I hate about Slayers. Everything, actually.

You've got a billion points in about 12 un armoured models that moce 6 inches a turn. But no point in Crit'ing the army, you know you made it for giggles!

I lvoe everything about the army except the dumb ass slayers. Dwarf shooting is so good because they blast powerful and their STILL WS$ T4, usually a 4+ save in combat troops with LD9. You go Nathan!

ScottRadom

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nathanr on Fri May 01, 2009 5:31 pm

Yah, the slayers were included for shits and giggles, they did fairly well against the orcs since it was a mainly close combat army. I actually got the charge a couple of times and when that happened it was really special! 10 WS5 S6 attacks from the giant slayers Plus 4 WS6 S7 attacks from the dragon slayer was pretty devastating. In the end though they all eventually died glorious slayer deaths. 500 points is a lot to spend on what eventually amounts to throwaway units. For that price I could have had a lord with a unit of hammerers or several units of warriors.

I still have a little warm spot in my heart for slayers, they are just cool models with tons of character and a lot of potential, but they just don't make sense in the dwarf army, especially not for the amount that they cost. If they could skirmish I might still consider taking them though.

I do think that I will be taking 2 units of thunderers all the time in my dwarf armies now. It just makes sense and they don't cost very much for the amount of damage they can do. Plus if I have 2 units it makes it way harder for the enemy to avoid them. I kind of like the symmetry of having 2 independant "fire teams" consisting of 12 thunderers, a bolt thrower and an organ gun. Park a team on either flank with the fighty infantry in the middle and you are good to go, no need to think about deployment! The organ gun and thunderers should be more than a match for any flankers and the bolt throwers provide the long range support.

nathanr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 11:10 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top